My mares bite is now off?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capall beag

Reaction score
York Beach, Maine originally from Ireland!
I have a 4 yr old mare. She had a perfect bite last time I checked, as a 3 yr old.

I looked in her mouth last night and was shocked to see her bite was off :new_shocked: :new_shocked:

I KNOW she had a perfect bite when I bought her 2 yrs ago, I remember that was the first thing I checked when she arrived!

I am totally baffled by this? I am going to have the vet out to take a look.

Opinions, experience appreciated.

Yes, this can happen!! Have your vet or equine dentist check in the back for hooks or something else that is not aligned correctly! Many times with just floating teeth, they will go right back on. Sometimes an off bite is NOT a hereditary thing but a growth thing or one whose teeth have been neglected and the wear has caused another problem. If she was right on for that long, I bet it is just a simple thing and she will 'come back'.

We fly in a fabulous equine dentist every year and he is SO educational and interesting on all the different things he sees and what type of things are hereditary and what are not and just the wierd things he sees. Quite an education!!

My first thought, too, is hooks. My vet is actually pretty good with teeth and has given letctures before specifically on miniatures and special teeth issues. I have him check my horses every year -- kind of split it up with some in the fall and some in the spring and pay special attention to foals - 2yo's. However, we have had it that a mature horse's bite goes off some and it can be fixed essentially with just a float in many if not most cases
default_yes.gif
:

How off is off, Fiona? She's at the age for hooks and such. My girls are due for the equine dentist soon as I can get him here. Don't fret. Howz Kitty, still cuddlesome and a bother? Kiss her for me.

I agree with everyone else......... Check her mouth for hooks. A vet can take care them and you will see instant results, if that's the problem.....

MA

Well I must say I hope it is hooks.

I was kind of worried when I looked in her mouth.

I will be making an appt in the morning!

Debs, it looks about 1/2 tooth, top is behind the front but you can see they have worn correctly in the past on the bottom.

It sounds silly but it looks like someone just pushed her upper jaw back.

This is my Fairy and I am 100% sure her bite was right on last year, which is last time I checked.

Are you sure she's not just losing teeth? Some horses will lose them later than others. If she is losing her baby teeth....they sometimes are pushed forward first by the adult teeth coming in, which creates the illusion of an off-bite. I know you said she was 4...but I've seen some Minis start losing their teeth much later than normal. If you know that she's already lost her front baby teeth.....then by all means, hooks can cause a bite to go off too.
default_yes.gif
: Have her checked by an equine dentist. Preferable one who is experienced with Miniatures.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back