My mare is in Stage 1 labor

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClickMini

Reaction score
This is the part I hate! She has thick sticky milk this morning and now is pacing, butt pressing, kicking at her belly and pawing. Last time she foaled at 2 p.m. Maybe an afternoon baby? Please send prayers for a safe delivery and healthy foal! Leia (HobbyHorse23) is on her way over to marestare with me. Yay for friends!

Yay!! I can't wait to see pictures as well. Prayers for a healthy foaling!

Good luck, don't know what part of the country you are in, I hope it's not too hot there, last year I had a foal born in 105 degrees, it was hard for him. Hope all goes well for your mare and foal, and thank goodness you caught her in first stage.

Amy you will be fine - Stepper is an old pro. Glad to hear that Leia is going to come an sit with you - it is always nice to have an extra set of hands & eyes.

Keep me posted and call if you need to

Stac

I know that feeling!
default_yes.gif

Good luck & share pics!

I wish you and your mare all the best for a safe and easy foaling. Keep us posted and we will need lots of pics of the new baby
wub.gif

Keeping my fingers crossed and sending prayers for a safe foaling and a healthy baby.
default_yes.gif

Anna

Now she is back to sleeping, resting up for the big event I guess! Hope it doesn't go on too long but am prepared for an all-nighter if necessary!

I know I'm going to tell you something you already know, but don't leave her. I have a mare that always foals in the daytime. she shows me first stage, then lays down for a nap, she'll then get up, sweating, pee, break water and lay down and start pushing. If I turn my head for even a minute, I'll miss it.

Well she is not cooperating at this point, she is alternating between taking a nap and being restless.
default_wacko.png

Hi I am new on here, and I have enjoyed reading your posts and watching you linked Youtube videos.

I will keep you and your mare in my thoughts. Say hi to Leah for me, I met her up at Happ's about two weeks ago. I was there when she was loading the boys in the trailer.

Good luck to you!

I have passed a moratorium that there will be no new foals born until Tease foals
default_yes.gif

On the serious side wishing you a quick easy foaling!

Well, KayKay, I hope Tease foals within the next few hours then! :D

Stepper has been sleeping a lot today. I tried taking her out to eat some grass a couple of hours ago, and she picked at it a little, but really wanted to go back to her stall. Her milk is thick and very sticky, and she reads "FOAL TIME!" on the foal-time strips. She is eating right now. She hasn't repeated the restlessness of this morning. Based on what I am observing on her milk strips and from my last experience with her, I will not be taking my eyes off her until that foal is on the ground.

One funny thing I've observed, is that when she wakes up from her naps she is stretching a lot. That is something she doesn't normally do.

MistyMeadow said:
Hi I am new on here, and I have enjoyed reading your posts and watching you linked Youtube videos.
I will keep you and your mare in my thoughts. Say hi to Leah for me, I met her up at Happ's about two weeks ago. I was there when she was loading the boys in the trailer.
Hi Allison!
default_wink.png
Thanks for your help with getting Kody in, he was being such a brat.
default_rolleyes.gif

Sttttiiilll waiting for Steppers.

Leia

Latest posts

Back