My mare aborted today :(

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cavallini Farms

Reaction score
My beautiful little mare, Bananas, aborted a blue roan colt today. It happened so fast.

She didn't show signs of labor, had no bag (I had just shaved her belly on Sunday so I could see the bag better). She ate breakfast with her girlfriends, then I turned them all out together in the big pasture. Everything seemed so normal.

I groomed three horses, went inside to eat lunch, came back out and went to catch her for her grooming and immediately noticed how skinny she looked! I panicked and started running around the pasture looking for a foal, and sadly there he was by the round pen.

His head was out of the sac, but his body wasn't. He was still warm, but he was gone. He looks full term, but I expected him to arrive late March or April (I bought her in foal).

This was my second miniature foal, first loss. I took pictures if anyone wants to see them for reference, email me privately, they are not gruesome.

The mare is on my website at http://sandcastleminis.weebly.com and the sire is Little Kings Bagheera Buckeroo.

So sorry for you loss
default_no.gif

((HUGS)) to you. I'm so sorry for your loss. Goodness there seems to be a lot of this happening.

Awwwww.....That's a tough one. But as others have said, it's wonderful your mare handled it so well.

Thank you all for your kindness. Bananas is doing very well, she seems to be recovering quickly.

I had a friend come look at the colt, she said he was a good six to eight weeks early, but he had a nice coat so I thought he could have been full term.

I'm thankful that my mare is okay, I have read some sad things about mares who abort. She is healthy and that is great news.

I am so very sorry for your loss. I to know your pain well. Prayers to help you get through this hard time. Again so sorry.

So sorry for your loss, I know how dissappointed you are. IM glad though that your mare is alright. I know how you feel, and hopefully your mare will give you a beautiful foal for next year!!! Take care!

Latest posts

Back