My little Redneck colt is way too fat!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok now that you mention it, where is that basket ball?
default_unsure.png

Karla, You are making me cold just thinking about winter. Yes Tucker looks fluffy to me and winter ready. He's going to be warm this winter. But there is no comparrison because Tucker is a heavier bone type who can carry the weight and Redneck colt is ultra fine boned with a capital ULTRA, so the basketball he swallowed up shows up on him more. I"ve never had this before with any of my babies and its driving me crazy. I feel him through his hairy winter coat daily and believe me, his sides sticking out bad. It's just nasty. This guy loves to do stuff and he's the energizer bunny so I'm going to be taking him on some walks up on the old trails back here and maybe we both will loose some gut. We might even get lucky and find some old hubcaps and turn them into Redneck wreaths for his stall.

Take another look from this direction:

Blazeregistrationpics012.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Marty I see a gut, but you know as well as I do that does not make a fat animal.

I think I am going to go with feeding him higher protein and more of it....he makes my weanlings look like baby Mammoths!!

Maybe Musk Oxen??
default_laugh.png

well here is my thought

i have 8 foals pasture is dying out however when a horse grazes they suck in air as well. i have some babies that just graze but a few others that really graze they are fat like they swallowed basketballs. it to was driving me nuts so i took those off the pasture put them in a drylot gave a lil extra hay and the bellies came right down in a couple days. you could try that and see if it makes a difference.

good luck!!

He makes all mine look positively HUGE!!Honestly, Marty, at this time of year why are you worried??

The fatter the better, I would have said!!

What does he actually weigh and how tall is he??

That was what I thought, too. He doesn't look fat at all.

Marty, Marty, Marty,

Your colt is just fine! I think what you might be seeing is the odd look that ultra refined horses can have at this stage - my foals go thru a similar look after weaning - it is unlikely that it is worms or any other such parasite. I think you are looking for a "sturdier" look, and that just isn't going to happen for awhile with your colt - I actually really feed my weanlings up at this stage - including Calf Manna - to help them thru the "puffy look" . I have a couple of babies right now that have been weaned for around 3 months and are just now starting to fill in their back weight again and not look like little "worm ridden war orphans" - they have never missed a beat, have been happy, robust, energic, obnoxious foals, but their refinement made them seem "scrawny".

Hang in there - up the feed and wait until next spring to worry about his weight -- as others have said: far easier to take it off than put it on - especially when they are growing.

Stac/Nana

Stac, Blaze's Nana, as the breeder of this ultra refined gorgeous line I am so glad you chimmed in because no one knows their growth patterns as much as you. My gosh, little Blaze is as delicate as they come and some days I want to put him in bubble wrap. I've never had any problems with his sire Mountain Meadows Bey Pepito having a belly at all so I wasn't sure about his son at this young age what to expect. Now I know, and I am feeling a whole lot better about it. Whew! You just took a load off my shoulders. Thank you thank you thank you.

( PS Blaze's daddy has returned to Tennessee and you will all get to see him in 2010 driving at Nationals and Worlds! )
default_wub.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Back