My little Redneck colt is way too fat!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
I am looking to brainstorm some ideas here about what I can do for little Blaze, as I have never had a baby be so fat in my life. His little sides are sticking out like crazy and have been since the summer months. Its not a belly hanging down, its his sides pooching out and it really bothers me a lot. Looks like he swallowed his basket ball.

He is now 6 months old, very tiny and very adorable. He is a complete joy to have around, loves to learn and do things with me, no complaints whatsoever. I doubt that he will ever see 30". He was weaned in October.

First he is as happy and healthy as can be, extremely active, very rowdy and playful and no signs of ulcers or anything in the health department. He has probably been de-wormed more often that I have ever de-wormed any foal to try and get him to deflate! We have had a few rounds of 5 day in a row safe guard also involved and also zimectrin gold. Worms aren't it.

At first I contributed this to him eating shavings, which I caught him doing before weaning so I removed shavings and went to the pelleted bedding. That's not it. He's not eating any more bedding.

I have been assuming that he simply eats too much grass and hay, but with the grass dying out, he has not lost an ounce. The way he runs and plays I would assume he'd not have that belly on him continue the way it is.

I have even put him on ulcer medication to see if that would make the belly go away.

We have had very lush pastures this year plus he always gets hay at night in the barn after dinner.

He is on Equine jr. 3 times a day. He gets beet pulp mashes but only a handful and sometimes I give him a small handful of alfalfa pellets for a treat.

Now that he has his full winter coat of course he looks worse than ever.

Has anyone else had a baby that is too fat also?

How can I delfate him?

Here he is before weaning: (sorry he's a bit squished up here when i was stretching pictures in my photo thingy)

cutout1.png

and now the goober look. Have we called Jenny yet?

Blazeregistrationpics026.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
stick a pin in him

*ducks*

default_biggrin.png
Sorry, couldn't resist.

Have you tried giving him some probiotics to help him digest the hay in his diet, it takes the babies quite awhile to be able to efficiently digest fiber in hay and forage. I know some don't get a big belly, but others do. Perhaps he just needs a little more help in this department than you are used to.

I think my little filly can top him in the belly department. I don't have any pics, but she's got a good belly. She's happy and healthy, so I'm not too worried about it right now.

Chanda thanks for that. We have done probiotics from time to time and also dannon yogurt which he loves to pieces. Good call. I'll start him on some again. This boy is extremely precious to me. .

Marty, my little Eli was incredibly fat at the end of summer - I feel your frustration! I trimmed him down by going to Equine Jr only (no hay/Omelene) but it sounds like you are already doing that. He is super cute!

He makes all mine look positively HUGE!!

Honestly, Marty, at this time of year why are you worried??

The fatter the better, I would have said!!

What does he actually weigh and how tall is he??

He sure doesn't look too fat to me!! :)

He is beautiful!

Susan O.

My filly has got a fatter belly then him, he looks great , not sure taking out hay altogther is a good thing...he's very cute
default_wub.png

Could it be one of those cases where he actually needs 'more' food, rather than less? I don't see a fat horse there Marty.

My Bailey had the same issues after weaning. I find that some young horses bloat up more than others and 'most' times it corrects itself with maturity.

He is a little cutie though!

Marty you forgot to post the picture of the horse you are talking about...all I see is are a couple of pictures of a darling little healthy, happy baby boy!!
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

My 6 month old filly looks about the same....I'll have to see if i can find a pic to compare. They're coloring is almost identical except my girl has one blue eye. We've also done enough worming so I think we're safe on that regard too. We have no pasture to speak of. She getting 1lb of Omolene (1/2lb 2x day) and a good bit of hay. I think I may have finally convinced my 11 yr old to go out after school (he gets home @ 2:30) and spend 15 minutes or so with each of our 3 young ones to work on the halter/lead skills. It would do them good and him too. The fields next to our house (which is our property too) is finally clear of soybeans so, I think we're going to start walking there on the weekends as a form of exercise. Otherwise, we're just going to bide our time until spring and decide what to do then, if anything.

All of my horses are too fat! I just bought a digital baby scale to weigh my hay on. I have a digital postal scale for my grain. I'm not going to start weighing my hay until closer to spring, but by golly, I'm going to be able to show my minis next year if it kills me!

default_wub.png
Him's not fat...him's just cute. I have a filly the same age and she is 24". Hubby nicnamed her "Crisco" cause she's a lardbutt
default_new_rofl.gif
she is pictured in my avatar when she was "skinny"
default_rolleyes.gif

Have you SEEN his basketball lately ???

Kidding I too do NOT think he is too fat, if he is mine need a lap band NOW !

My husband calls my (ahem fat) mare Oompa Loompa cuz she is so wide.

If your unhappy with his state you can always send him straight to me lol !

He is adorable
default_biggrin.png

Marty--here's Tucker for a comparison. Picture's blurry, but you get the idea? Yes?

Our boys are [SIZE=24pt]WINTER READY! [/SIZE] Got that? Say it with me win-ter rea-dy. Okay. Good. Feel better?
default_biggrin.png

195214c2.jpg

b52a4ef2.jpg

Aah, look at the poor starving wee horsie!!

Paint that one red and white and you have my Fancy....Rio is thinner but he is a different build from Fancy, he is not any lighter, though!!!

Fancy weighs 95lbs, btw and stands 25" high.........

Boy I sure was hoping to see some answers to this problem. I know exactly what you are talking about Marty. I have a two year old filly that MAYBE measures 27" and I have the same trouble with her. She is not fat but is always bloaty. I've tried feeding her more feed and less feed, it didn't make a difference. Grass only makes it worse. I went through the whole deworming thing too. I hate going into changing horse chow because everyone else is doing fine and it seems when I change things it causes other issues. A friend suggested adding flaxseed to her meals but I haven't tried it yet.

default_wub.png
Not fat! Probably just furry. Now, I have a friend that can show you fat aka porker. She got the surprise of her life this spring when one of her mares unexpectantly delivered a leopard colt. And we all know the $$$'s that leopards can go for. She told me he was fat, porky, lardbutt. OMG, I went to see him a couple of months later and the little guy looks like he has the thighs or hamhocks of an offensive lineman
default_new_shocked.gif
. AGAIN, YOUR LITTLE GUY IS NOT FAT. He is admirable and good looking
default_biggrin.png

Latest posts

Back