My little Brahma hen that was got by the neighbors dog...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maxi'sMinis

Reaction score
She still has a small limp. I still keep her in the house at night in a dog crate. I have been putting her out from morning until dusk in a pen by herself but where all the other chickens hang out. Until yesturday I have kept her separate from all the other chickens except once in a while one of the Marans hens would get in with her.

The Marans rooster would try to breed her so I haven't let him near her because it was to rough for her. She has lost a lot of weight that is slowly coming back.

Yesturday I opened the pen she was in outside and all the other chickens went in with her. She stayed to her self. The marans tried to breed her but she is strong enough to get away now.

Last night when I went to put everyone to bed she came to me and waited for me to pick her up. Hummmmm. So was going to put her in the secure chichen pen everyone sleeps in but she didn't want to be with the chickens so took her in the house.

Today she was out all day with everyone and all went well, but at dusk she was standing on the steps to go in the house when everyone else was in the roost. So she has never walked in the house, how did she know that is where she should go in?

Of course now I have gotten attached to this chicken but want her to have a life with her mates. She comes right to me out in the yard and positions herself for me to pick her up and waits. She is still recovering and don't want to rush her. All the Brahmas flock together but now she doesn't even attempt to be with them. She stays all by herself and forages alone. Do you think she will get back with the flock. I will give her a few more days and then put her in the roost with the rest of the flock. I don't want to take any chances of the rest of the chickens hurting her.Silly me I've gotten attached to a chicken!

Well I don't think you are at all silly! There are some chickens who happily attach themselves to their human friends rather than their animal counterparts. You have helped and cared for this little lady and she now feels happy, comfortable and SAFE in your company. If it were me (and if it is not an inconvenience to you) I would let her continue doing what she wants and keep her indoors over night for now - she may make her own decision to stay with the others when she is ready. Or she might not!! Bless her - I'm so glad to hear that she survived - well done you
default_aktion033.gif

Anna

I'm so glad shes doing well! I don't know about chicken behavior enough to know if she will want to be back with the flock or not. Maybe spring when the hormones kick in.

I think it's a hoot that she waits for you to bring her in! My little lone silkie, Bug, was kept in the house since she was hatched, with forays outside in the "Kitty Coop". I used to carry her outside but now, When I let her out of her cage she runs to the catfood and eats, then hops up the stairs and waits at the backdoor to be let out. When it's time to come in she does the opposite and then gets in her cage. They know where homebase is.

She has a baby now so stays out all the time in her little coop. This fall/winter I may teach the little one the ropes also, when she's big enough that the kitties aren't interested.

Chickens are amazing pets! Much smarter than people give them credit for.

I have 2 hens out of my 30+ that sleep in at night. In a crate, in the entryway. They had gotten attacked and were on meds and bandages, etc and had to be in for about 6 weeks. Well, that was 4 years ago. LOL. They go out in the day, but love to come in at night. Nothing wrong with that, I say.
default_smile.png

and yes, they come up on the porch themselves and walk into thier crate all on thier own. my friends think I'm mental, but my family knows it's just me being me. LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:
I honestly don't know much about chickens but I think it is so great what you are doing for her. She sounds so cute. It's not silly at all that you are attached to her. If she was mine, I would instantly be attached to her!
default_smile.png

Well I feel better knowing I am not the only one out there catering to a chicken, lol
yes.gif
She has a very special name Chick Chick! I guess I need to teach her to come in the house on her own. Its so funny when she is ready to go in she presents herself to me and makes the sweetest little sounds. She talks to me all the time. The Brahmas are the neatest birds but seem a little on the clumsy side. The Marans are very intelligent and allusive. Its funny when they all go in to roost you can go right in and pick them up or pet them they don't try to get away. You would never catch them when outside. I'll get some pictures, they have all grown so much. My Brahma rooster is huge!

I'm glad that she is doing well...she sounds like such a little sweetie. Years ago I had a little black silkie that was born with a crooked beak. SHe was spoiled rotten. She'd wait for our morning ritual of me picking her up and letting her into the feed bin to eat till her heart's content. If was difficult for her to eat strait out of the feeder with her crooked beak. For your little girl you can try giving her a playmate who is docile and gentle....perhaps another little silkie girl. Get a young one, that is just a couple of months old, smaller and younger than she is and put them together for company. Eventually they will probably bond and be best buds. Keep them together and separate from the other flock. Or you can just let her keep doing what she's doing. I'v had quite a few spoiled chickens with special priveledges if they so desired.

What LITTLE I know about chickens is from our daughter's 4-H experience with an Old English Game Hen. So, YES a chicken can become somewhat of a pet. If you don't mind giving her the extra bit of attention, I'd say - go for it. She obviously is enjoying it.

I have too! We just lost our Aunt Mumm hen. She was half silkie half? One day we heard the familiar cheep cheep cheep of a baby. We found one single baby, no one claimed her. She lived in my daughters room until she was big enough to be outside. But she was always tattling on the other chickens! She would run over and sit on our feet and tell us how bad they all were! HeeHee!

We recently lost her to old age. She was over 10 years old.

Latest posts

Back