My horse wont eat grain

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heartofwisdom

Reaction score
I have three stallions. Comanche and Toby are almost 3 and Bobbles is 5. Commanche is the alpha.

I recently had surgery before I went into the hospital I moved their buckets from the barn to the fence so I could feed them without going in the paddock (until I recover).

Every morning and evening I gave them grain in three buckets hanging from the fence and hay in the nearby pasture. They always--always --bolt for the grain buckets then mosey over to the hay.

Last night my hubby put in the grain in the buckets and Toby walked by them and stood near the barn. This morning Toby completely ignored the grain buckets and went into the pasture for the hay.

Toby is always the last to get anything--hes the sallest and most timid. I assume he was kicked or scared by the other two. Should I move his bucket?

Any help appreciated.

Robin

I am dealing with this same thing right now. My 28 yr old Arabian gelding stopped eating his grain, which is a red alert in his case. The vet said when they refuse grain, and just eat hay or grass, it is most likely ulcers. They will also make chewing motions, or lick thier lips a lot. In my horse's case, we sold little mare that was stalled next to him, and the stress brought on the flare-up. Horses produce stomach acid continuously, and when they stop eating, it just continues to build up and causes pain and inappetence.

We started him on a Prilosec paste, and his appetite has improved, and he is eating his grain again.

This may not be the problem with your guy, but I would have the vet check him out for sure.

I would move the bucket back to the place he was fed before. If he still does not

eat, I be worried that something else is going on. Is he colic? Or trying to colic.

Does he have a temp? I would be checking for medical reasons if he does not eat

in his old place. Or is the other 2 not letting up near the fence to eat. Maybe they

have made him afraid.

Wishing you the best

Vicky

I would feed him at his old spot by himself and watch. If he still won't eat call the vet. Especially this time of year not eating is defintelly a red flag! I would even check all vital signs now just to make sure nothing is wrong.

I'm sorry to hear about your surgery and I hope you are getting well now.

Toby might be feeling too intimadated to eat along the fence line with the others. They might have scared him off, so I would put things back to the way you had them. If he still is refusing to eat, I'd have him on colic watch or ulcer watch. A horse not eating around here means trouble, however in this case, Toby might have been too scared by the other two to approach his bucket. Good luck to you. Hope he's going to be ok.

I feed him alone successfully. Wheww. I was worried. I guess I separate them. I need to think about gelding this spring.

Thanks for your help.

Robin

Robin

Glad to hear that solved the problem. The low men on the totem pole tug at my heart as they seem to give up so easily and I find myself wishing they would just haul off and kick someone just once.

Hope your recovery from surger is quick and without complication.

Latest posts

Back