my horse is cold!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minis_4ever<3

Reaction score
The mare I lease is 19 last june, and she has some fat on her and she is cold she sheevers! and i don't know why?? and her fer isn't that long??!?!?! what can i do to keep her fromm gettting colder?? i already have a sheet on her and a blanket!

Is she dry under her blankets? If a horse gets wet (rain or snow on a not-water-proof blanket) then they will be cold, or if they get too warm during part of the day when it is warmer with their blankets on, and sweat, and then when it turns colder again they will be wet from sweat and shiver.

Does she have protection from the wind? From snow and rain? And does she get plenty of hay to keep her warm from the inside?

We'll need more info in order to help you and your mare. I sure hope we can!

I would check that she isn't tooo warm during the day. Especially if she is out in the sunshine (thank goodness we've finally gotten some sunshine). Is this something recent, like the last day or two?? Or has it been going on for awhile?? We tend to just blanket at night, since it is warmer during the day....that is of course if she is out in the sun during the day. Also, if she has been out in the rain that we've had...make sure the blanket is waterproof, otherwise she will be soaked through.

But my bet is she is getting too warm during the day, since we've had nice weather up here (well at least for the last couple of days).

~kathryn

Is this all the time or just recently? Shivering can sometimes be a sign of fever.

The mare I lease is 19 last june, and she has some fat on her and she is cold she sheevers! and i don't know why?? and her fer isn't that long??!?!?! what can i do to keep her fromm gettting colder?? i already have a sheet on her and a blanket!
You say "some fat". Was she losing weight or did you have her on a feed program to lose weight? I did that to my older gelding and with the winter hair didn't realize that I should readjust the feed program. He had lost so much (not skinny when we did finally clip but actually "looked" very fit for an "old man") that he was getting cold especially at night or I should say early early morning which is the coldest part of "night".

I had to up his feed a bit and as the weather warmed in spring he was fine. He also had more energy than when he was over weight. He never did lose much of the crest on his neck but when I dug beneath the long coat I could actually find ribs that we could never find before.

My stallion when he was 1 1/2 came from Florida in October (we live in Wisconsin) and his coat never got heavy enough the first winter. He shivered too. I ended up with two blankets on him when it dropped to zero or below at night. The adjustment time from warm to cold climate just wasn't long enough for him. He's been fine every winter since.

Yeah this Wisconsin weather is CRAZY we just had 70's yesterday with 35 degrees plus a frost advisory overnight...then today is back in the upper 60's...crazy! Poor horses here must be going just as crazy lol!

JMO, but the more you blanket, the less hair will be grown and she will have to depend on the blankets. I would also check her temp or see if there is another problem.

Well I have to disagree with the statement the more you blanket the less hair they grow or should I say.. add this

Older horses who dont tend to grow a huge hair coat usually dont no matter where htey move to at least not compared to those horses used to the climate.

I have a aged T/B he has lived here in ID for over 5 years and still doesnt get a winter coat at all. I have not started or dont start daysheets and blankets till well into the season hoping he will gain some coat but has yet to happen. We have a new pony who is a senior and same thing she has not even started yet these are both So Cal horses and have been all there lives. They must be blankted.

Older horses due to tend to be a bit more sensitive to weather and in times when it is hot during the day and cold at night extreme changes it can be even more difficult on them.

That said I would check and make sure she isnt running a tempature as well

I agree with what everyone else has said so far pretty much and also I have to say that my older QH also does not grow much of a winter coat and he gets blankets like Lisa's TB too.

Try putting some hay in front of this horse and see if that helps. He should not be shivering.

This is also a sign of a fever (sickness coming on) as said above and also can be a matter of pain. He might be in very bad pain somewhere and you don't know it. The best advice I can give you is to get your vet out to see this little one as soon as you possibly can. He should not be shivering like this and I feel that he should be seen. Best wishes to you.

Latest posts

Back