My hair needs help

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just noticed you're being photo bombed by a cat in your picture. ;)

If you're having headaches or neck pain, it could be the weight of your hair. There is a local gal who had extremely long, thick hair (like past her waist) that was having neck pain and headaches, she cut her hair to shoulder length and they stopped. Just an observation.

OH, yes Locks of Love, if you decide to cut! My young grand daughter recently cut her very long hair and donated it. She is adorable with chin-length bob now! But she says she wants to grow it back out long again.

I LOVE the long hair too and I think she loves it. I would not suggest she cut it off. Just the very bottom.

Reactions: REO
Nobody grows their hair that long if they secretly want shorter hair. just my honest opinion.... cutting it much shorter would be my last option were that my hair, its beautiful. I would get the ends trimmed to nice blunt ends and then try some different treatments first.

My whole life folks have been trying to get me to cut my hair shorter and especially now that I am older. Sometimes I listen and every time I do, I hate it and start growing it back again.

The oil treatments really helped me recently when my hairdresser put something weird on my hair and dried it out .

best wishes.

ps. I got a leave in detangler I got from my hair dresser and it helps comb through the knots after washing.

As I said, that pic was right before a trim
default_yes.gif

People always say to chop it off. Nope, I'm still using it LOL. I'll never cut it off. Been a 46 year dream to have it touch the ground and this is as far as I've gotten so far. It grows s-l-o-w. This is one dream I can work to make true that doesn't cost money, and it's all mine.

My hair is thick and if I cut it BOING it'd be in big curls.

I just need a better conditioner. I don't get it in the sun and don't blow dry it or anything. I think it's the hard water that's causing it to be a little dry. Our hot water ruins everything around here
default_sad.png

This is how I wear it up (although I don't usually use those rubberbands) the whole hair-do uses only one rubberband for the ponytail
default_smile.png

Oh and I usually don't curl the ends LOL

sm100_1842.jpg

Thanks for all the ideas!!!!
default_wub.png

I've never been one for "product" either for my hair or face etc. But I'm thinking maybe (at my age LOL) I should start

Looked at the bottle, the Suave Professional product I have is the Rosemary and Mint shampoo and conditioner. It works decently with our hard well water, it might be worth a try, and you wouldn't be out much if it didn't work for you. [i have a couple favorite products I can't use out here, they just don't work with our well water.]

Last edited by a moderator:
If you should decide on a professional product, I have a license and can purchase hair products at wholesale prices which is usually 50% less than retail. I'd be happy to help you out.?

My hair is usually down around my rear and I do cut 12-18" off when it hits that length every year or so and donate.

Hair length and quality is genetic, I believe. I use herbal essences clarifying shampoo and Pantene conditioner. We had very hard water for a long time and soft water now for about three years and I haven't really noticed a change.

Hair is dead once it grows out, so all you can do is improve your health so what is coming out if your scalp is better!

My hair is ridiculously long down to my waist if i still had a waist. Its getting a good bunch cut off this summer too. I have the opposite problem where its getting thin and don't look nice at all. But I must agree the water here is the culprit to making it look and feel nasty.

Good point Andrea, I didn't think about my health affecting my hair. I've been in bad health for 4-5 years. I was very sick for years with my gallbladder, which was dying and gangrene. The Dr was horrified. I feel I'm still trying to recover from that and have not felt well since. That was about the time I noticed my hair not being as silky as it had been!

How sweet of you Debbie!
default_wub.png

I was having issues with my hair and was told by the hairdresser that it was due to hard water. The shampoo she sold me was pricey but did make a difference. Then dishwasher was having issues, my sinks and showers were turning rust orange etc etc. I got one of those big water tanks and this is how we set it up

water well to spray bar (that I built!) in top of tank, a water line comes out of tank at about half way point of tank and then goes to house. Basically the "rust" and yucks settles to the bottom of tank and the house gets the better more clean water. every year I siphon out the big tank with a pool hose making sure I suck up all yuckies from the bottom... My air has now gone back to normal and my showers and sinks stay regular color. Good luck, I think your hair is beautiful!

I too have long hair and being Cherokee can only cut it when someone dies, although I can trim. I've found that as I have aged it is thinning not to mention drying out. Well guess what I just got in from brushing manes and tails, believe me I go through gallons of show sheen a year, love love long manes and tails. Maybe I should try the show sheen. Also someone a way back said to try olive oil, put it on at night, cover head with shower cap and wash it in the morning. Just a thought.

Not sure about Show Sheen... Being silicone based it's not great for very regular use. The EQyss similar product is not silicone based and I've had good luck on my horses.

Ahem.

I am guilty of show sheen.

I am also guilty of white n brite.

I may have once bleached my hair white.

Anyhow I don't use conditioner anymore. I know, it sounds weird, but that stuff creates a false softness and builds up gunk in your hair. I have very little issue now, and I havent seen a split end I years.

My hair got brittle last year and I was gaining weight and now I take a thyroid supplement and my hair is getting better.

I gotta tell you guys a funny story! Many years ago I was going to show, I wanted my hair to look nice, so I Show Sheened it! Didn't quite smell the same, oh well, off we go! It wasn't until we got home from the show that I realized.........I had not doused my hair with Show Sheen, it was fly spray! Gee, it may not have smelled nice, but there were no flies buzzing me that day!

Reo, that's a hoot, sounds like something I would do.

Okay. Here is a product I am liking lately my hairdresser gave me last time I visited her.

RUSK is the maker... product says deep shine color advanced marine therapy. It also says repair conditioner. It is also a detangler. I tried it this week and it really made my hair feel good. Easy to comb out and moist when it dried.

Purple bottle and has the word REPAIR in big white letters on front. Don't know if it is an exclusive salon item or not.

ok, found it on amazon.com. You can also buy a matching shampoo.

It only cost $13 on amazon. Not bad. Big tube.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's what I get for mixing fly spray in an old Sheen bottle and forgetting I did that!

That stuff sounds pretty good. Does Amazon ever take checks? I'm one of those that don't have a CC
default_smile.png

I use Jason's tea tree shampoo.

And back when I had an herb garden...

Here is a rinse that you don't wash out... works wonders.

2- three inch sprigs of fresh rosemary

1 TBS- white vinegar

2- cups of very hot water....

I use a 2 cup Pyrex liquid measuring cup

Put the 2 cups of water in.

Toss the two sprigs of Rosemary in. Cover with some kind of wrap to keep the moisture in.

Steep until luke warm to the touch, take out the Rosemary.

Pour in the vinegar

Pour over your freshly washed hair. Do not rinse. The shine you get from this is incredible!!

Back