My hair needs help

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REO

Reaction score
I've been in a hair rut for 30 yrs LOL. Head & Shoulder shampoo and Pantene conditioner.

Seems like my hair doesn't have that fabulous shine etc like on TV. My hair seems kind of dry and dull. What do you all use? I can't afford any expensive products, but maybe should change brands or something? Any ideas??

Fish oil! Take some every day and your hair will be so shiny!

what I need is a haircut BAD. I see people with such nice color and "styles" and all I can think of is how much it costs and how many times I'd have to go back.

This may sound weird, but are you eating too much corn? High fructose corn syrup, foods with corn base, fast foods with corn additives? The modern corn hybrids are not your great grandfather's corn.

Drink lots of water. I wonder if most of us are somewhat dehydrated.

Just a couple of thoughts...

Do not know how old you are, but I have noticed in my life about three plateaus over the years. Once in my late twenties, once in early 40's, and just lately when I turned 60. Very noticeable changes in my body and had nothing to do with my mind. All physical.

That is true, as you age hormones will wreak havoc with your hair! and skin, I've noticed my skin drier.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do some coconut oil masks before hopping in the shower. Just let it sit for about 30 minutes to soak in. I'm not a fan of most big name shampoos....they just dry your hair out like crazy, but there are a few you can find without the harsh chemicals. Just do a Google search and you'll find some
default_smile.png

I wash my hair in the sink. Pipes to the bathroom are still busted under the house (we've had another rough winter and lost all our pipes)

I'll be 51 in June.
default_smile.png
I take fish oil every day and have started drinking lots more water than I did. I was thinking it might be an age thing.

Never had my hair done. Can't tell but it's down to the tops of my calves (51" long) it's getting dry
default_sad.png

smIMG_1965.jpg

I wear it up all the time. I wondered if there's some kind of shampoo or conditioner that really would moisturize it better.

Just call you Rapunzle!!

About a year ago I started using a new product. I had trouble getting a comb through my wet hair, as it tangled even using conditioners. My hair lady suggested Alterna Caviar shampoo and conditioner. It is expensive (I think--$60 for the two). They do last several months and my hair has never been so soft and easy to comb. I tried using something else once and within a wash or two I was back on the Caviar.

Maybe you could ask a stylist if she has a sample you could try. You can tell right away that it makes a difference.

like ohmt mentioned try coconut oil, I've never used it on my hair but I use it as a moisturizer on my hands and it is great, I also use it to brush my teeth. You could also try egg whites <- ugh edited to say this should say egg yolks! (egg whites are for your face) or mayonnaise. Rinse your hair with cold water to close the cuticle too.

You also might try a clarifying shampoo, I don't know if you have hard water or not? To not have to buy a special shampoo for that just use some vinegar or a paste of baking soda and water, massage it in for a few then shampoo.

In this photo... and it may just be the way the sun is shining on your hair but your hair looks very rich and healthy looking from the shoulders up. .beautiful!!

It's beautiful!! Definitely do the coconut oil before showering and put some Moroccan oil in it after you shower....I do a little while my hair is wet and a little when it's dried, just on the ends where it dries out because my hair is very long, too.

Don't have any answers for you.I am 1 of those people who finds hair very annoying.Unless I am just stepping out of the hair salon my hair always looks like crap.My beautiful very blonde hair of my childhood has become a very mousey light brown color. It is still the very fine texture of a 3 yr old's hair..It is not curly but not straight either.I wear it very short but at a certain length it just kind of does a bendy thing.I don't use hair spray or mousse and have absolutely no talent with hair.I keep hoping the bald, shaved head look will come in style for women.When it does I'm off to the barn to get the Double K clippers and a #40 blade for my head.

I've had decent luck with Suave Professional shampoo and conditioner, the minty smelling one (don't have the bottle handy to look it up). Currently I'm using Paul Mitchell. Limited things work with our well water.

In this photo... and it may just be the way the sun is shining on your hair but your hair looks very rich and healthy looking from the shoulders up. .beautiful!!
Robin.....I honestly think if you cut a foot or more off your hair would look better because you will have cut off a lot of the dry, damaged part. If you continue to trim it your hair would look and feel in much better condition. I don't think anything you can put on it will help. I know from having long hair some years ago that trimming it was the key to it looking healthy.

I've always had really long hair (down to my rear), up until this past October when I got fed up and chopped it all off, clear up to my ears. I suffer from a hormone imbalance (I'm 33), and my hair is always really dry after I wash it (flakes) but will turn nasty oily at the roots within 24 hours. I have tried numerous shampoos, and most just make it worse or cause itching because of the dryness. My favorite shampoo/conditioner has always been Tresemme's volumizing brand, which is amazing for shine and tangles, but about a year ago my hair started looking terrible when using it. So began my search for something else...

I have had really good luck with egg yolk. Yep, you read that right...egg yolk. Nothing else added to it. You just have to make sure that you rinse all of it out and use cold water, or else you will have little cooked egg particles to pick out. Lovely, I know. Lol. My biggest problem with using yolk was that I live in the desert and I swore I smelled my eggy hair until it dried. Not something I'm willing to chance in the summer time. (Ick!)

I just broke down and bought an expensive product off of Amazon called DermOrganic ($40 for a 33oz set). It has argan oil in it, and it's chemical free. I've only used it three times so far, but I think I love it. My hair is so feathery soft, and no more itching or greasy look yet. Perhaps chemical free would be something you may want to try. If you have soft water, I've heard that Dr Bronners Peppermint Castille soap is a miracle in a bottle (as long as you use a vinegar rinse afterward). Unfortunately we have hard water here, and I was scared of build-up on my scalp, or I would have tried it.

I don't know if you dye your hair but I find the tube conditioners that are included in the box are great. The secret is to find someone that can give you a constant supply of them. Thankfully my Grandma gives me hers.

Another thing I use it Herbal Essences Conditioner Hello Hydration. (The one for colored hair is good too.) It has a lovely coconut smell and is in a blue bottle. I get it from SAMS so its an extra big bottle. I love that conditioner !

Yes we have very hard water! I think that's what's doing it. I never thought about that before.

I have trimmed my hair since this pic was taken last fall. Has anyone used that VO5 hot oil stuff? I forgot about using mayo I heard it was good to use.
default_smile.png
Thanks for the ideas to look into
default_smile.png

Hi Robin! There really isn't any product that can rectify it. It's endured all the sunlight, hard water, plus wear and tear from a ponytail or buns. It's time for a haircut! In order to keep your hair really healthy that is the number one thing you can do. If there is a high school with a vo-tech program for cosmetology, they cut free or close to it! Seriously think about it, extremely long hair makes woman look much older than they really are. Cut it shoulder length and you can look like your 30 again! ❤?

Yes we have very hard water! I think that's what's doing it. I never thought about that before.

I have trimmed my hair since this pic was taken last fall. Has anyone used that VO5 hot oil stuff? I forgot about using mayo I heard it was good to use.
default_smile.png
Thanks for the ideas to look into
default_smile.png
I love that hot oil! It does make your hair nice and shinny! But your going to have to use a lot! LOL! And I agree with fourluckyhorseshoes! Those conditioners are great! I get them from my mom who dyes here hair all the time. Why don't they make that conditioner in a big bottle, it works sooo good!

I vote don't cut it.

I love long hair and I regretted getting talked into cutting my hair in the past.

My hair dresser has been using keratin oil treatments on my hair, it helps a lot.

best wishes. Your hair is pretty and unique.

Keep posting ideas folks on treatments. Always interested in something less expensive to try in between my hair dressers treatments.

ps I am in my 50s too.

I agree that Robin's hair is pretty but if she cut it to her shoulders, it would be drop-dead GORGEOUS!

Latest posts

Back