My girl does play!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyMiniGal

Reaction score
Here I've been saying she doesn't because I board, and I have never saw her play before...that is until today. I came driving up to feed her tonight and all the horses, in their paddocks were running and jumping around. I then looked over at Halo's and to my surprise, she was ripping around her paddock and bucking and throwing up her heals! LOL I stayed out of sight, as I didn't want her to stop, because she would know, I was there to feed her. I do go when I'm not feeding her, but by how the light was I'm sure she could figure out it was dinner time, and I wanted her to get some exercise. LOL Anyway, my little mellow girl, sure is different in these colder temps. I can't figure out, how I have never seen her do this. Between my husband and I, we see her at least twice a day, and then more on the weekends. Anyway, I loved seeing her play. She just seemed so happy. Made me happy too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe you've also found a good set-up for her, and she's happy where she is at, so is relaxed enough to play.

Very true, Chanda. She's been here for several months, and they have given us a nice paddock and we have been allowed to, for the most part, make it our own, for her. I think she has finally settled in. We are doing more with her too. We see her a couple times a day, and because of that, we have been able to adjust her food intake, on when she acts like she is super hungry, and I think she is feeling like she is part of a herd, even though they are all in separate paddocks. There are 4-5 horses around her, that haven't changed, so she has gotten use to them. But she sure had me fooled. I still think she is a mellow girl, when it is warmer, but it was sure nice seeing her playing.

I have had fillies and mares that for some reason didn't want to play on any regular basis.

AND I've had others that would rough house and keep up with the boys - instigating the rough play and keeping up with it when it got violent. I have had other mares that would play but then would also get to quitting point and then would let everyone know that she was done - they learned to leave her alone when she said "I'm done".

I have a friend who bought a young gelding from me who gets so frustrated because he's out with a mare that is only 2 years older than he is - but she refuses to play. For a while, I had other ponies going over there and whether a mare or a gelding - they played with her gelding. Often it's nothing more than running around the pasture a time or two, but sometimes it's also "mock fighting" and springing at each other like stallions. Then breaking apart and running around again - tails over their backs, snorting and blowing and bucking...

The other night I arrived home from work a little early and I stopped w/o pulling all the way into the driveway - just so I could watch two pasture of youngsters play (the boys are yearlings to 5 yrs of age - and the girls' are up to 4 yrs of age).

What's really amazing is to see the two "old" girls playing. The other MORNING, after feeding (they are fed in the barn and turned loose from there) they both zipped thru the double wide doors simultaneously took a couple of full galloping strides and then came to a halt, snorting. Then both, almost on cue - side by side, rocked back on their hocks and reared, pawing at the sky! They both dug in before coming to earth and were in full stride racing each other up the pasture, "squeezing" together thru the 16" opening next to the water tank and racing up the pasture. At the end they split - again almost on cue - and each raced around a different side of the pasture, again meeting at the 16" opening and racing for the barn doors. They leaped the ditch into the barn, skidded to a halt, bounced up and down and bumped into each other, then turned and raced out again. No rearing this time - they kept going thru the "squish" and on into the pasture, this time turning the same direction and racing back down towards the barn. After coming back thru the opening they both slowed snorting and blowing - separating a bit before both folding their legs in a sandy wallow spot and rolling. They both leaped up from their rolls, bucking and farting before settling into a trot and then walking up to the water tank to get long drinks... Bell and Bit, full sisters, are 40" shetlands that are now 21 and 22 years old. This start to my day made my heart light as I headed in to get ready for work. It also meant that after struggling with Bit with her eye infection again, and refusing to eat when her eye hurt, that she finally felt better (1st time in 4 days she'd cleaned her feed all up)...

That must've been awesome to watch.

My two boys pick late afternoon to turn the dry lot into a race track. Then after picking on each other and mock fighting, they end up mutual grooming. Both Legend and Luke love to pick on the donkey (poor Sam... he just defers, and when he finally chases, you can see he is holding himself back. Gentle soul, and not an alpha. Legend rules the herd).

Yeah, mine, she's been in with other mini's before and wouldn't play. I've watched her. She just stands there looking at them like they are nuts. Now, may be she would of played, if it was cold like this. This is my first Fall with her. I got her beginning of March, so it was almost Spring. So this is all new to me. Today, she was just cranky...not with me, but with the horses next to her. Tried to kick one, because he looked at her feed dish, I had just put down, across the paddock. LOL

Latest posts

Back