My gelding is drinking a lot of water? Could this be a sign of something?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

looney2n

Reaction score
I have a 5 year old gelding that normally does not drink much water. When I check the tank daily, his is usually only down a tiny bit. He has been very healthy and I never worried about it. But recently, the last few days, I've noticed that he takes BIG drinks, leaves the water tank, then returns within minutes and drinks more. The weather can't be the problem because it is raining almost every evening and the days are very comfortable. Could this be a symptom of something wrong or am I just paranoid. Any ideas? Thanks.

Don't panic. What you should do is watch for any other changes in your gelding's behavior. Just drinking more water doesn't give us a lot to work with.

How is his overall attitude? His appetite? His pooping and peeing? Is he playing more in the water? Is he preferring his hay over his grain? Is he mopey? Have you noticed him grinding his teeth? Is he chewing on his salt block more than normal? (These are just some suggestions to look for.)

MA

I'm sorry. I guess I didnt realize that I was pretty vague. No, he is acting pretty normal. He was just gelded about 6 weeks ago but he came through that just fine. He has lost a bit of his studdy attitude but that was the goal. He eats his grain and hay just like he always has. He is in with a mare that he use to push around but the roles have completely changed there. I would think his ego is hurt but that wouldnt have anything to do with his water intake. His poop looks good but havent noticed the peeing. He still has his wonderful character that I love about him, mugging me for treats, pulling on my clothes, etc. I guess I posted on here because I am pretty new to mini's and I know that there is TONS of knowledge on this site and sometimes things can go wrong fast. I had a mare that got real sick very fast in the beginning of this year and she had to be put down so I just don't want to miss any suttle hints of problems.

Latest posts

Back