My funny soda story

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At home, I call it the bathroom. If I am in a public place, I ask for the washroom. LOL! :eek: As for the buffet, that is a piece of furniture. I am not sure if they are still being sold these days, but I have seen numerous antique pieces named this. To me, a Buffet is a self-serve "food bar" type thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok...here's a question ....

How do you get the attention of someone out in public who you don't know their name? I usually say "Excuse me"...or "pardon me".

Some of the locals that have filtered in from the city of Philly (Philadelphiia) say "Yo Dude".
default_unsure.png
:

This is a fun and interesting thread. My mom is from CA and my dad from MI plus I've lived in CA, ID, UT, ID, and WV and visited over 40 states. So, I've been exposed to quite a bit and don't think my terminology is all from one place. I call it a soda or a pop, eat breakfast, lunch, and supper, wear a hat on my head (don't usually call it anything specific), put my clothes in my dresser, wear tennis shoes, go to the movies, put things in a bag, use the bathroom (sometimes restroom), and go to a restaurant that has a buffet.

I was working with a girl from PA once and she was looking for a "gum band." I found out that meant an elastic band to put in her hair. Also, where my friend is from in NC they call shopping carts "buggies!" To me, a buggy is something to push your baby around in. Also, when I was in college in WV most people referred to a knit of crochet hat as a toboggan! To me a toboggan is something you use to go sliding down a hill not something to wear on one's head (and dictionary.com agrees with me on that one at least).

Forgot to say I would usually say "excuse me" to get someone's attention.

How do you get the attention of someone out in public who you don't know their name? I usually say "Excuse me"...or "pardon me".
I always say "Excuse me?"....

I was working with a girl from PA once and she was looking for a "gum band." I found out that meant an elastic band to put in her hair. Also, where my friend is from in NC they call shopping carts "buggies!" To me, a buggy is something to push your baby around in. Also, when I was in college in WV most people referred to a knit of crochet hat as a toboggan! To me a toboggan is something you use to go sliding down a hill not something to wear on one's head (and dictionary.com agrees with me on that one at least).
default_yes.gif
: Yep, that's another one! LOL! I once asked for an elastic...not elastic band or rubber band, just an elastic, and they asked me what on earth I was talking about!

We have a completly different spin on things here in Australia!
default_wacko.png
:

POP/SODA = SOFT DRINK (ANY KIND OF FIZZY DRINK)

WE EAT BREAKFAST, LUNCH AND TEA OR DINNER

WE WEAR RUNNERS AND BEANIES

WE USE THE TOILET OR BATHROOM

WE USE ' MOBILE PHONES' NOT CELL PHONES

I'm sure there are many more.

I lived in Ireland for 18 months once. I was in a shop and I wanted an eraser. She did not know what it was. I was later told I had to ask for a rubber.

That was embarassing to me, an 18 year old (at the time) American girl LOL! :bgrin

But I asked for a rubber and got my eraser!

Central California born and raised, let me see if I have everything:

It's called soda.

We eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

We have a bathroom, but it's okay to ask for/use the restroom, toilet, loo, toidy, potty, etc.

We sit on a couch, but sometimes it's called a sofa. We also have the 'mini couch' known as a loveseat.

Sneakers refers to any kind of lace up, rubbery soled shoe. Tennis shoes are for tennis, which I don't play.

It's a movie, and you go to the theater to see them.

Here's another fun one...how do you refer to your freeways or highways in your area? Even here in California there's a north/south difference. I think in the north they just use a number, ex. "I'm merging onto 405 right now." whereas in Southern California they use THE, as in "I'm taking THE 5 South".

When I was visiting my ex in Alabama, his family used actual NAMES for the highways and it confused me!
default_wacko.png
:

I lived in Ireland for 18 months once. I was in a shop and I wanted an eraser. She did not know what it was. I was later told I had to ask for a rubber.

That was embarassing to me, an 18 year old (at the time) American girl LOL! :bgrin

But I asked for a rubber and got my eraser!

:risa_suelos: :new_rofl: :risa8: :new_rofl:

we drink soda (although we don't much any more, trying to stay away from that stuff!) and eat breakfast, lunch and dinner (although i grew up hearing supper) not sure why or when it changed

we keep our clothes in a dresser (bureau is a governmental agency LOL)

we wear tennies even though we don't play tennis and i would call it a stocking cap too (beanies have propeller on top!) although around here it's usually too warm for them!

we put stuff in bags, not sacks, and at the grocery store we use a "cart" or shopping cart... a basket is smaller with a handle and no wheels and lots of stores have them too for those who want just a few items. a buggy would be something to put a baby in, the old-fashioned kind, the newer ones where the kids sit up are strollers...

and we have a bathroom although when in public we say restroom or ladies' room... and a lot of people around here use "el banyo" (i'm sure THAT's not spelled right) because we are so close to Mexico that everybody knows that one...

and we go to the movies, a "show" is a horse show here too

and it's a casserole

this thread reminds me of that e-mail that goes around... we drive on parkways and park on driveways... :eek:

Casserole, taxi, bags, shopping carts...

Purse, handbag or pocketbook? Purse here, but my mom (from NY) calls it a pocketbook....(always think of a paperback book as a pocketbook...lol)

This one is really regional but I grew up in massachusetts close to Boston and soda is called TONIC there. I have relative in the western part of the state and they thought that was so funny. Also it was breakfast, lunch and supper and dinner was on sunday.

yeah we call it soda here in Maine too, but you have to say like what you want, like coke, pepsi, sierra mist, sprite etc. They call it pop ithink like down south too.

I am Texas all the way.

Coke, and we say which kind...

Dresser for clothes, and drawers are what you wear, LOL

Bags, paper or plastic

We have porches, eat breakfast, lunch and dinner, and go to the movies ( at least I do, my husbabd goes to shows)

Tennie boppers, or tennis shoes

Refrigerator or icebox??? I say fridge, hubbie icebox. Oh, yes, we were born in the same town.

Taxis, and casseroles. Purses for me, wallet for hubbie.

and rubbers are NOT erasers, LOL :new_rofl:

Yes indeedy! In that little shop in Ireland they gave me a big fat pink rubber!

I think my face was as pink as it was for having to ask for it!
default_blush.png
:

An eraser like the pink ones we use here. I made it last so I wouldn't have to buy a new one!

Being a California Native (Born and Raised there), I grew up calling it Soda, Coke, Pepsi, ect...What ever brand you were drinking at that time. :bgrin

However, when I moved here to Wisconsin everything was pop!
default_wink.png
: I got laughed at out here at first by the way I talked too!
default_yes.gif
: :bgrin Most said I had an accent.... :lol: :bgrin

Now, my family & friends back home gets a kick out of the way I talk... :bgrin since my hubby is a backwoods country boy sort of man with a heavy Wisconsin accent..so I think I picked it up from him. :bgrin :lol:

So, Pop is what we say here in this part of WI. :bgrin
default_yes.gif
:

There are words here though that I myself had never even heard of until I was here and one of them is the Stop and Go light? !
default_wink.png
: Or Stop & Go?! :bgrin So, here they say stop and go which means stop signs or lights.
default_wink.png
:
default_yes.gif
:

Then out here in WI asking for directions, when you get the directions from someone instead of saying go left or right...its go south, north, east or west....Thankgoodness my truck has a directional /outside temp gauge inside, or else I would surely get lost... :bgrin :lol:

Thanks this is a fun post!

Jeri

Latest posts

Back