My funny soda story

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

River1018

Reaction score
Here in the area where I live we call pop "pop" until I moved to Nebraska years ago. I was corrected by some friends that I met there, that it wasn't called pop but rather soda. Well ok then.

Soo....I take a trip to florida and am in a sports bar and ask the waitress for a "soda" she then happens along with a "soda water" I thought what???
default_wacko.png
: ICK!! I don't want that!!!! She then informs me that down there in the part of Florida that I was in.......I want to ask for "coke" everything was "coke"

We'll I'm back in Minnesota and I am going to stick to calling it POP! :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Its soda here but just across the border in New Brunswick it is pop. I have another good one my New Brunswick friend was vistiing one weekend when her youngest was 2 1/2 he loved helping clean up so I gave him a paper towel and told him when he was done go throw it in the garbage well when he was done he threw it on the floor so I repeated go put it in the garbage, my friend was sitting at my table watching my frustration when her son did pick up the towel but again threw it on the floor finally a third time I said Brian go put that in the garbage. He picked up the paper towel and just stood looking at me. His mom then said Brian go put that in the rubbish and sure enough he walked straight to the can and threw the paper towel away. Ahhhh semantics and language barriers gotta love em.

I always called it pop as well, but since I moved to this state I get correceted that its soda.

It's soda around these parts...but you also have to specify which "species" of soda you want. For instance you say "I'll have a soda....make it a Pepsi".

Its mostly called "pop" here, but people do call it "soda", too (too many Californians in Oregon now...LOL! :eek: )

It's pop here in Northwestern Ontario, but right across the border in Northern Minnesota it is soda. They also call a toque a stocking cap! That one really cracked me up the first time I heard it! :bgrin

Out here in the sticks we call it pop too. I have one friend that for some reason calls it soda and sometimes I let that slip - boy do you get the looks saying soda around here!
default_wacko.png
:

It just irks me to no end (not sure why) but here people call it pop and it sounds so silly to me in CA it was just like FL - Coke lol

Humm, now I know I am strange, but I have never had these issues. Most often I just ask for a coke as that is really what I want... I want a coke, not pepsi or anything else. Then again, I will also say "I want a sprite" or "I want a pepsi" or "I'll have a mountain dew." Laughs, this way I get the right product every time. No guessing and no one makes fun of me. :bgrin

Yes Lisa, I think it is strange that people say they want a pop.... Well, for all I know someone may think that I want to be punched!

Around where I grew up, we always called it 'soda pop'--or, as my late husband would have said, "sody pop'!!
default_yes.gif
:

Margo

Stocking cap? Is that the same or different than a knitted hat? I'm from CA and we call a knitted hat a beanie.

I'm from Central CA (Salinas valley) and I was raised calling it soda.

Many here in OK call everything Coke and you have to ask them what kind
default_rolleyes.gif
:

My hubby works for Coke LOL!

I;m like you Nila, I ask for what I want by name
default_smile.png

I've never been able to understand any of this.

If I want a coffee I ask for a coffee.

If I want Chocolate I ask for Chocolate- I do not ask for a "beverage" do I??

If I did I would wait a long time that's for sure!!

So, if I want a Coke I'll asked for one- although of course that is no where near specific enough- it has to be "Diet Coke/Pepsi" or "Original Coke/Pepsi" and even then I will probably get asked if I want ice and lemon!!

You can't get it right enough to suit some.

Over here Soda would get you Soda water that's for sure.

Pop, although we sue the world a lot to describe, well, Pop, would get you a blank look in a pub or a cafe- in a Supermarket you could ask "where is the Pop??" and probably get taken to the right aisle- although not after being asked if you wanted cans or bottles, of course.

Do you think maybe we have just a weeny bit too much choice nowadays??

Back when I was a child there were no "fizzy drinks" the first I remember was Lemonade- complete with the "grolsch" top and a little glass ball to stop the fizz escaping- not that we ever had it as it was too expensive and if we were thirsty what was wrong with water!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
OK .. here it seems you have three drinks.. coke, diet or sweet tea. When you want a "soda" or "pop" you just say Coke.. if they have coke, thats what you get.. If they have pepsi, they will let you know there's no coke. In my family, sweet tea is what we drink more of... I actually took a trip to Indiana once where I asked a waitress for sweet tea.. within 3 minutes, I had the complete cooking crew, manager and half the people who were in there eating, standing around me to hear me talk. They didnt even have grits.. lol

I call it whatever one I am wanting at the time. "Do you have Mountain Dew?"

But when asking if someone would like a fizzy drink I ask if they would like a soda pop. My SIL calls them sodas, my MIL calls them pops. They argue about it. Often. I usually pipe up and say, "Honestly, you two, who gives a crap?! You both know what the other is talking about why waste your time arguing about it?? Kitty corner, catty corner, who really cares?"

This usually makes them both turn on me but it at least gets them to stop yammering about the whole soda/pop thing. lol.

I call it whatever one I am wanting at the time. "Do you have Mountain Dew?"

But when asking if someone would like a fizzy drink I ask if they would like a soda pop. My SIL calls them sodas, my MIL calls them pops. They argue about it. Often. I usually pipe up and say, "Honestly, you two, who gives a crap?! You both know what the other is talking about why waste your time arguing about it?? Kitty corner, catty corner, who really cares?"

This usually makes them both turn on me but it at least gets them to stop yammering about the whole soda/pop thing. lol.
:new_rofl: :new_rofl:

I really don't care I call it soda-pop, pop, soda....and honestly my main thought is YUCK who the heck drinks this sweet crap :bgrin :bgrin I feel the same about that stuff some insist on calling tea....what is with these people who need six lbs of sugar in everything...yuck :smileypuke: :smileypuke: and diet anything does not ever factor into the equation...those fake sugars are even worse than the real thing :smileypuke:

Water, iced TEA straight with lemon no sweetener, lemonaide with extra sour light on the sugar, coffee strong and black....if I want sugar I will drink dry wine
default_wink.png
:
default_wink.png
:

OK now who was making fun of our stocking caps
default_poke.gif
: thats what they are called knitted or crocheted often with a cute pompom on top, worn in winter....frequently made by granny with leftover yarn
default_wink.png
: what the heck else would you call them
default_unsure.png
:
default_unsure.png
: I mean come on they are made similar to a stocking and you put it on your head "cap" :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin

If I need to go to the store and want a soda I say I gonna get a soda but then if I ask someone else to get it for me I say a coke or whatever.

And as for the hat thing----its always been a beanie.

How about sofa or couch? Or even worse davenport :risa_suelos:

Its a sofa for me. Us California people are cool like that
default_rolleyes.gif
:

If I need to go to the store and want a soda I say I gonna get a soda but then if I ask someone else to get it for me I say a coke or whatever.

default_rolleyes.gif
:
My grandma called it a davenport...I alternate between sofa and couch
default_wink.png
:

How about Dresser or Bureau?

default_rolleyes.gif
:
My grandma called it a davenport...I alternate between sofa and couch
default_wink.png
:

How about Dresser or Bureau?

That would be a dresser for me.

Latest posts

Back