My funny soda story

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sofa
default_yes.gif
: Some times couch.

Sneakers

Soda

Beanie

Is what I grew up with.
default_smile.png

I enjoy hearing the different names for things in different places :aktion033:

i was raised in minnesota and we always called it pop. down here, they call it "SODIE"!!

I'm with Reo,

Soda

Sofa

Beanie

Sneakers

Dresser

now how about the last meal in the day? Dinner or supper? For us it's almost always dinner!

Very interesting- I've never heard of some of these names before!!

Sneakers? Oh goodnes!! :eek: Nope its gotta be tennis shoes

Oh and its Breakfast, Lunch and Supper for sure!
default_smile.png

Pop

Dresser

Couch

Dinner (altho I grew up hearing my mom call it "supper"
default_rolleyes.gif
: )

Tennis shoes

Stocking cap or beanie (either)

How about the front of your house..porch or "stoop"?
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Patio

How about Dresser or Bureau?

When I first moved here I was 8 years old and my step-great-grandma told me to get her glasses out of her "shestadrows". I looked at her like:
default_wacko.png
: She had to repeat it three times and I still had no flipping clue what the heck she was saying.

Finally she yelled "Derows! They are in the derows!!! Are you deaf?" (I think she had some Alzheimers issues going on and was easily frustrated and could get quite angry and loud)

Finally step-grandpa said, "She means they are in her dresser."

She was saying "Chest Of Drawers". Once I knew what she was saying it made perfect sense and I felt stupid for not understanding what she was saying, but I had never in my life heard a dresser called a chest of drawers.

My best friend lives in GA and she calls a bedroom suite a "bedroom SUIT" (like a men's suit)...we say it like "SWEET", which is the proper way....
default_wink.png
: :bgrin

I'm originally from Pittsburgh and we say pop, couch, porch, dinner, dresser, tennis shoes or tennies, and just plain old hat, no beanie or stocking cap.

How about "bag" or "sack".

In Pittsburgh it's a bag.

Now in Michigan, I hear soda, super, dresser, sneakers, hat, and sack. Not sure about couch or sofa...never really paid attention.

Wierd thing about MI I found when I first moved here...they pick up alot of canadian words/sayings/exclamations...example...most questions end in "aye"...

Want a soda, aye?? (not sure how you really spell it??)

Last edited by a moderator:
OK now who was making fun of our stocking caps
default_poke.gif
: thats what they are called knitted or crocheted often with a cute pompom on top, worn in winter....frequently made by granny with leftover yarn
default_wink.png
: what the heck else would you call them
default_unsure.png
:
default_unsure.png
: I mean come on they are made similar to a stocking and you put it on your head "cap" :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin
LOL!!!! YES, those are the ones!!! Here we call them toques. (pronounced like a rhyme word for duke)

LOL! This is getting FUN!! I say pop, couch, dinner, dresser, bag and runners.

As for the porch/patio...if you mean an enclosed area...when I first walk into my house, that area where we remove shoes and jackets is like a tiny little room, and I call it the porch. Outside, where I walk up the steps, where I keep my BBQ and it also has a built in bench around it, I call that my deck. That brings me to another point....BBQ...here where I live(and I think maybe most of Canada, but not sure) we call it a BBQ...that is where we cook ouside on the "grill". I found in Minnesota, when they talk about BBQ, it is a FOOD. Like some smokey flavored smokey joes. :eek: So if we have a BBQ, it means we are cooking outdoors today. If in Minnesota, we are having BBQ, it is a specific food!

Oh, and Sonya, the word you are looking for is EH! LOL!!! Pronounced like the sound A makes in the word cake!
default_yes.gif
: Cool eh?!

In fact, Canadians get joked about a lot because of their use of "eh". There is a joke here now about how Canada was named. When they were spelling it, they said C-eh N-eh D-eh...thus, CaNaDa...CANADA! :bgrin

here's one......

in minnesota, we called it breakfast, lunch and supper. occasionally, we referred to the evening meal as dinner. i had no idea that down here on the farm, they called it breakfast, dinner and supper.

so we move onto the old family farm. we are settled in and the following week, i'm figuring i'll impress my new in-laws with a fine meal. i invite them for dinner. i gather all the makings for good ole fried chicken, mashed potatoes, milk gravy and i'm ready to rock 'n' roll. i figure i'll start my preparations at about 3 p.m., by dinner time at 5 p.m., i'll be ready to knock their socks off.

can you see where this is going? oh yeah...i invited them for dinner. at noon, i'm sitting on the couch. these were the days before i had a job and back when i couldn't miss my 12:00 soap opera. so there i sit. watching t.v. not even thinking about dinner.

knock, knock, knock on the door. well heck! who is coming out here in the middle of the day? you guessed it. it's my in-laws, all ready for my promised knock-your-socks-off fried chicken. my new mother-in-law looked aghast and i'm sure she was wondering how her wonderful son could have ended up with this LAZY SLOUCH of a wife! i never lived it down. it has to rank right up there with my most embarrassing moments! :eek:

Well when we were kids, my Mom always referred to lunch as dinner too. I guess I probably started saying "lunch" after I moved away from home. I always say supper for the evening meal.

That brings me to another point....BBQ...here where I live(and I think maybe most of Canada, but not sure) we call it a BBQ...that is where we cook ouside on the "grill". I found in Minnesota, when they talk about BBQ, it is a FOOD. Like some smokey flavored smokey joes. :eek: So if we have a BBQ, it means we are cooking outdoors today. If in Minnesota, we are having BBQ, it is a specific food!
LOL! Another thing I've learned is that in the south...a BBQ when you PUT BBQ sauce on the meat..if you are just putting meat on the grill it is called a "cook out"
default_wacko.png
:

Here in Oregon, we call anything we put on a BBQ (grill)...BBQ...hamburgers, hotdogs, steak, etc... :lol:

I started calling it soda after spending a month or so in New York when I was 17. I got teased for calling it pop so much.

Now I kind of interchange them, though we usually avoid drinking much pop or soda!

*LOL*

Liz

Ok adding to my list of other things----

Bag--tennis shoes--and dinner.

Here is a new one (I think) are you going to the show or to the movies? I go to the show.

Dresser, tennies, lunch and dinner, movies/play/opera/ballet(you get the idea)

OK so who here thinks of a buffet as a piece of furniture rather than a restaraunt :bgrin

and bathroom, restroom, or water closet? .............bathroom

ok back to the whole beanie thing........I had never heard that until the last year or so when my kid called it that and I asked if that was some sort of gang banger slang
default_wink.png
: its a stocking cap, or even a knit cap...but beanie makes me think it should have a propeller on top
default_rolleyes.gif
:
default_wacko.png
: :eek:

Buffet is a restaurant.... :lol:

Restroom, bathroom or potty
default_wink.png
:
default_rolleyes.gif
:

We go to the movies....... a show is like a Broadway play, horse show, craft show...etc....

We say restroom, ladies/men's room or bathroom.

Latest posts

Back