my filly's weight?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luv2ridesaddleseat

Reaction score
I'd really like to know "close" to how much my filly weights. I went to the LB's front page and into the info part where it tells how to weigh minis amoung many other useful things! I used a tape measure around her heart girth and got 36". With that, it says my filly weights 148.41 lbs! She's only 4 1/2 months old! Is this an average(ish) weight for a filly this young? Her Dam is 32.25 and her Sire is 33". I guess I expected her to be alot "less" than that? She is 27" tall if that makes any difference.

Thanks for your thoughts on this!

I have a 27 1/2 inch 2 yr. old gelding who weighs 152 pounds. I had him weighed at my work on their large dog scale.

My guy isn't really refined or anything and he's a bit chubby. What's your filly's build like?

try the heart girth X heart girth X length /300 formula. The length is determine from point of shoulder to the point of buttock. That way tends to be closer to accurate then the hg formula alone

lil horse lover, she is the filly in my avatar. She's not heavily built! I know she can't be that heavy!

Gizzmoe, I will for sure try the other formula!

Thank you both!

I'd say that she is probably not yet 148 lbs. Maybe 100-125lbs? I had a mature 29" mare that was typically 170-180 lbs.

If I were you - I would spend $5.00 at the local farm store and buy a weight tape that you can use around the girth to figure out an approx. weight. It works well and is pretty accurate - I have found it is within the 10 pound +/- range with mine compared to an actual scale you stand them on. 
default_wink.png

I agree with Katie! Go to your local farm supply store and get a horse/pony weight tape. I have a 6/7 month old filly about 25" tall and it says she weighs about 82 lbs. I still can pick her up but she's getting heavy. SO I figure if she heavier than a 50lb bag of feed but I still can get her up, its got to be about right give 5-10lbs or so to be safe.

Our five month old foals are just reaching 100 pounds now. We have a platform digital dog scale and use this all the time.

I think you would be safe worming etc for 100 pounds.

LOL!! I think I have about 20 weight tapes!! But I was going by the other instructions for minis. I did the way this morning by doing heart girth and length and came out with 125.28. I had always heard using the weigh tape the same way I do on my big horse isn't accurate for minis. Ok, now I'm going out to the barn and try it that way!

Thanks everybody!

You need to weigh her.

It does not seem overly heavy to me, and weight tapes don't go down far enough, at least, mine don't.....

I've weighed her with the only 3 methods that I know of. Without having a scale that is. My weigh tape, I believe started at 80 lbs. What more can I do without a scale?

I'd really like to know "close" to how much my filly weights. I went to the LB's front page and into the info part where it tells how to weigh minis amoung many other useful things! I used a tape measure around her heart girth and got 36". With that, it says my filly weights 148.41 lbs! She's only 4 1/2 months old! Is this an average(ish) weight for a filly this young? Her Dam is 32.25 and her Sire is 33". I guess I expected her to be alot "less" than that? She is 27" tall if that makes any difference.
Thanks for your thoughts on this!
My BIL bought us a small farm scale at an auction, cheap. We got it set up the other day, but have not officially calibrated it (my husband stood on the scale and we used his weight to set it, so it could be off a few pounds - Monday when I bring home new feed, I'll put the bags on the scale before putting them in the feed shed and calibrate the scale).

Anyway, today I weighed several of my minis, including my almost 5 month old filly (not sure of her height, but she's quickly creaping up on her 31" sire's height, and her dam is 35.25"); she weighed in at 140# (she is a little chubby, but going into winter, I'm not going to worry about it). [Her sire is 180#. Didn't get a weight on her dam, but a similar sized mare is 365#.]

I never would have guessed a mini foal to be this size at this age, but I guess it makes sense, full-size foals of this age are usually around 400-500#, so a third of that is around 150#.

Thanks Chanda, you have been very helpful also! I also never would have expected such a young one to weigh so much either! Congrats on the scale! Oh, how I'd LOVE one!! I wonder how much my local equine clinic would charge me to bring in my minis once in a while to weight them? I would assume they would have a scale to weigh horses on? I'm going to ask them for sure!

I use a weight tape in addition to a formula when deworming my large horses with a Quest type dewormer and they always come out within about 15 lbs of each other.

The formula I have always used and seems quite accurate is :

heart girth X heart girth X length (point of shoulder to back of buttock) divided by 330.

I would imagine it is pretty accurate for miniatures as well.

Latest posts

Back