My filly is breaking my heart

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minis3

Reaction score
My little filly Blossom seems to be changing. She use to hang out with me in the barn for awhile in the mornings while I cleaned the stalls and would always show me where she needed scratching. She would follow me around and be so sweet and loving. Well it has been a couple months since she has done this and I miss our special times together. I should add that when I got her she was 11 months old and she is now 3 and a half. So near to mare age.

She has been in heat in a BIG WAY a couple of times lately. She has been more than ready, willing and able. She left no doubt in anyones mind what she wanted to do and my 2 geldings just pretty much ignored her advances.

I am wondering if this might be why she has become more distant from me. She now has other priorities in her life. Nothing else here has changed. No new animals or people around and the daily routine is still the same. Her health is fine.

This is heartbreaking to me. We had seemed to share a special closeness. She still lets me fuss over her and brush her whenever I want but she doesn't come to me like she use to.

What do you think? Is she just growing up and becoming a woman and Mom is just not top priority anymore? Anyone else experience this with their fillies as they aged?

Yes, yes and yes............
default_rolleyes.gif
:

All children grow, change, mature and some leave home. It comes with age (and hormones :bgrin )

Just keep her close and love her. In time she will reward you with more "personal" time again.

Thanks Bess for your reply. I went through this with my children who are now in their thirties and now with my filly. Glad to hear that she will come around again and we will have some personal time together.

Yes again. I have one just this age who was in my pocket all the time but I feel she is growing up, becoming independent (which is good) and tho she still loves, comes when I call her easily enough, it isn't that breakneck gallop to see what mom wants, it's a slow plodding "what now?" kinda thing. She still loves me, but it's a growing thing I think. Almost makes you wish for another baby to fuss with eh? You not me!

They do change as they grow / mature, and also with life experiences -- just like people do I guess
default_smile.png

Just my own experience with my horses, the ones that "stay sweet always" are the geldings for the most part. My mares, and my stallions, are also sweet, nice and loving but the ones that really crave my company the most seem to be my geldings.

With horses, I have found that Geldings ALWAYS stay "sweet and personable"... Mares only SOMETIMES but they are moody and subject to whims... and Stallions NEVER really have a true "bond" no matter what people say. Stallions can be friendly and kind to their handler but it is more that they perceive you as "one of my maers."

Sorry your filly has grown up. Horses generally aren't "loveable" the way a dog or cat are, that's why they are livestock generally instead of pets.

Andrea

Latest posts

Back