My dog

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heartkranch

Reaction score
I got a chi about 2 months ago. Or this is my fiancee's dog. When we first got him from the rescue he was a decent weight, now it's different.

Vet check was fine the vet said she was skinny but he would eat when he's hungry.

When I'm gone to work he is the only one That has to stay up. I put food inside of the cage when I leave and max 5 hours later my fiancee is home. The dog is always laying next to one of us. Won't eat just jump up on the couch or bed and want to be cuddled. Now that I can feel his backbone I want him to start eatting.

Is there any tricks to make him eat? I tried wetfood at night to sitting next to him but all he wants is to sleep, and during the day going crazy. Oh and he's about 2/3 years old. he rubs his nose raw during the day, he seems healthy and happy just doesn't want to eat.

I'm feeding natural balance for toy breed and the wet food is natural balance also.

While I know Natural Balance is a good dog food, some of the good ones are rather bland. Have you tried other brands on him? Do you know what brand the rescue was feeding, even if not your preference?

When I had my last dog, and just her, I fed her Purina ONE Lamb and Rice or Purine ONE chicken and rice, and she did quite well on either of them. Now that we have two ranch dogs, of good size, we feed Tuffy's Lamb and Rice; my dog is chunky and my hubby's is slim (she doesn't eat unless he's around, regardless of food offered). [My dog eats anything, including whatever she scrounges up outside (we ranch, so she finds some pretty disgusting things).]

When I showed my poodles I had one that was such a very picky eater he almost was to skinny to show, so my mentor gave me this recipe. You just mix all the raw ingredents up and my poodle loved them, even when he got to be an old grumpy guy he I could still get him to eat by making some of these up. I always made a half recipe and put a serving (about 5 balls for my 8lb poodle) in a freezer baggie and kept them in the freezer and just pulled out a days supply every morning and by evening they were ready to feed.

1 lb ground beef (dont cook)

1 8 oz pkg cream cheese

1 jar all natural peanut butter

1 jar (smaller of the sizes) wheat germ

1 doz egg yolks

1 cup or so of flaked oats (I always just used oatmeal and soaked it for 10 to 15 minutes) soaked in heavy cream

Mix up, form balls, freeze, feed as treats or food supplement.

Hope this helps

I too have a chi that acted very much like your's in the beginning. For the first month, he would only eat the bare minimum to survive. We found that he had asolutely no problem eating human food though, so we have a feeling he was really spoiled at his last home. We stuck with the dry food, and offer moist food in the evenings. He seldom eats much of the dry food, and he refuses to eat when we're gone from the house. With your little one just try different foods, moist, soft, and hard. Maybe offer treats and if interested in those, put them in his food. Good luck, even now our Teddy Bear is extremely slim.

When I showed my poodles I had one that was such a very picky eater he almost was to skinny to show, so my mentor gave me this recipe. You just mix all the raw ingredents up and my poodle loved them, even when he got to be an old grumpy guy he I could still get him to eat by making some of these up. I always made a half recipe and put a serving (about 5 balls for my 8lb poodle) in a freezer baggie and kept them in the freezer and just pulled out a days supply every morning and by evening they were ready to feed.

1 lb ground beef (dont cook)

1 8 oz pkg cream cheese

1 jar all natural peanut butter

1 jar (smaller of the sizes) wheat germ

1 doz egg yolks

1 cup or so of flaked oats (I always just used oatmeal and soaked it for 10 to 15 minutes) soaked in heavy cream

Mix up, form balls, freeze, feed as treats or food supplement.

Hope this helps
Thank you for the recipe, I might try it and make some up for my husband's dog that needs a little extra goodies to keep her weight.

I have a Yorkie (3 lb) who is going on 15 yrs old. He lays around most of the time and is very, very skinny. Most of the time he just doesn't want to eat. A lovely lady told me about Dyne. She uses it on horses, dogs, etc. It makes them want to eat. I have been using it for about a year and it really works. When my yorkie starts on his 'not eating' I give him a spoonful of Dyne and the next day he will eat. It's sweet and he really likes it. I have seen it at Tractor Supply and some vet supply places. It's not terribly expensive.

Pam

I have a Yorkie (3 lb) who is going on 15 yrs old. He lays around most of the time and is very, very skinny. Most of the time he just doesn't want to eat. A lovely lady told me about Dyne. She uses it on horses, dogs, etc. It makes them want to eat. I have been using it for about a year and it really works. When my yorkie starts on his 'not eating' I give him a spoonful of Dyne and the next day he will eat. It's sweet and he really likes it. I have seen it at Tractor Supply and some vet supply places. It's not terribly expensive.

Pam

default_saludando.gif
hi what is dyne never heard of it my rottweiler is a very fussy eater
default_yes.gif

may help my doggy if i can get in aussie land

When my lab puppy got sick last summer and lost a bunch of weight the vet had me change her food to a bland wet food (it was perscription at the vet) to get her eating again as she had stopped and then once she started eating they had me give her hamburger and rice -- you just brown the hamburger and drain off any grease (we used a 90/10 so it wasn't very greasy) and then cooked brown rice and mixed in with it... It really did help her gain the weight back and of course it tasted delicious so she ate it... Gradually we started adding dry dog food in with it and soon it was back to the dog food and no yummys and now she eats just fine again...

Good luck with your little one...

Dyne is a high calorie liquid dieary supplement. I believe 'Trophy' makes it. I'm going to see if I can find it for you and maybe you could order some. It really gives my fussy dog an appetite.

default_saludando.gif
hi what is dyne never heard of it my rottweiler is a very fussy eater
default_yes.gif

may help my doggy if i can get in aussie land

It looks like Jeffers carries it. www.jeffersequine.com

Dyne is a high calorie liquid dieary supplement. I believe 'Trophy' makes it. I'm going to see if I can find it for you and maybe you could order some. It really gives my fussy dog an appetite.

Has the dog been checked for worms or other problems? I would rule out any possible health issues with your vet and see what they recommend for your little dog.

Latest posts

Back