My Corgi only has one puppy and milk is drying up, I think!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cimarron

Reaction score
My Corgi Madison delivered 7 puppies last saturday. She had previously had one puppy 3 years ago and had a C-section because the pup was so big and he died. Well she would never let my male Corgi breed her after that till March. She delivered them naturally but 6 died within the first day. They were almost all born breech and with the bags half way of them already. They were just really hard to revive and just didnt thrive. Then we had ones umbilical cord tore away from her body on the way out and we took her to the vet immediately but they couldnt fix it because too much of her insides came out. One was born with deformed legs, it was just the craziest things. When we left the vet we had 3 puppies and 2 died by the next morning. The only one that lived was the one that took the longest to get breathing, she was also the biggest. So she had been doing good but I am afraid that Madison's milk is starting to dry up from lack of nursing. Her nipples are getting hard and difficult to get milk from. I am going to start supplementing the puppy with milk replacer, she is holding her weight and not crying or fussy but she is not gaining as our puppies have done before. So has anyone had this sort of thing happen and what did you do to keep her milk coming? This is the 5 th litter of Corgis we have raised and we have had successful litters till this dog. She is going to be spayed as soon as the pup is weaned. Corgi breeders - Do you think they are more difficult to raise than other breeds? Please keep us in your prayers, Sheila

I just went thru similar problems with Caroline . we were able to keep 3 of the six alive until 5 weeks the first puppy we did a necropsy on showed hoock worms in the intestines but nothing else so we wormed the 3 puppies at 4 weeks and still lost two that week and the last one at almost 6 weeks. The last puppy we also necropsied and found NOTHING all organs looked normal there was milk and food in the stomach just something weird. Some dogs are just not meant to be moms.

Lyn

I'm sorry you are having to go through this. I don't know what to say, I've never experienced anything of this nature before. Hopefully this last one will make it for you. Sounds like you and the mother had to go through alot with her litter. :~(

~Karen

Hi there!

Is the puppy still suckling, acting like hes getting milk, growing? There was once a dog that came into our clinic that looked like she was drying up but somehow was still producing milk. If shes not I would get him onto a milk replacer, I dont know what is available down in the states, but I will throw one good name out there, It is called Esbilac, We used it to raise a littler of abandoned pups that were less than one hour old and all of them did very well! If not I would contact the vet and get a name from them, as not all milk replacers are made equal. try and use a liquid form instead of the powder, I find the powder makes them a little more constipated and is better for mixing into canned food during weaning. Liquid is also better as it takes less time to mix it and is alot less frustrating at 2 am when your super tired!!! Also if you can use a baby bottle that has one of those baggies in it are awesome!!! the pups dont get as many air bubbles that way! If you want any more advice or feeding and care of neonatal pups you can pm me and I can get a bunch of articles from work.

Cheers!

Masako

oh yes just remembered.... Did your vet allow her to have the pups naturally? I guess every vet is different, but I know at our clinic once a bitch has had a c section, we generally dont reccomend allowing them to birth naturally again, and we reccomend spaying them the first time we do a c section as birthing problems tends to keep happening and it is hard on the mom to keep putting them under a general anesthetic just to have babies, and its definately harder on the pups being born too! not trying to be rude or " know it all" Im just curious, sometimes there are good explanations!

Edited to add: Sorry I just re read your post and I guess I missed the part saying she was going to be spayed after the pup is weaned... lol I must be tired! Best of luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Masako concerning dog seeming to not have milk but pups are nursing. My stud impregnated my female and my neighbors female a month apart. Her female is full and hanging. My female is pretty tight. Second litters for both. Both sets of pups (6 each - 5 girls/1 boy each) doing great.

Some moms are not meant to be - in any of the species.

Prayers for both mom and pup. And you.

Latest posts

Back