My Australian Shepherd just had puppies!!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chaos Ranch

Reaction score
:risa8: :risa8: :risa8: :risa8: :new_multi: :new_multi: :aktion033: :aktion033: :cheeky-smiley-006: :cheeky-smiley-006:

Oh happy happy!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been given the opportunity to continue a breeding program with a friend of mine. She has very carefully selected and bred a particular line of Australian Shepherd dogs for specific traits and qualities and she has sent her foundation dogs over here to me. I have 4 females (2 sets of sisters) and her main male. She has produced so many high quality babies from these dogs that she has kept a large portion of females to show and for future breeding dogs once a show career has peaked. She is going to locate another high quality black tri male to replace the one I now have and breed to my dog's daughters that she has retained.

We got the dogs home a week ago Friday and one of them was VERY heavy with puppies. Well... I am SO SO tickled to say that as of 9 a.m. this morning she began delivering puppies!!!

She delivered just like I like them. One about every hour or so. That gives momma and the baby plenty of time to get rested and situated before the next one comes in needing attention.

Anyways... she had 8 babies!!! :bgrin
default_yes.gif
: All but 1has perfect blazes. A few of them have full collars. One red one is absolutely perfectly marked! We have a red based litter. 4 Red Merles (all males) and 3 red males and 1 red female. Can you believe it... 7 boys and only 1 girl.

I am going to give them a few days to rest and get used to life "on the outside" and then take some photos of them. This is my first Aussie litter and I Am thrilled beyond what I expected to be! :bgrin :aktion033:

I'm expecting two more litters the last week of March and I'm also VERY VERY Excited about them. They will be from my red merle females and my black tri male. This litter I just had was from two red merles. (accidental breeding...she came into heat 2 months early and was bred by another merle instead of my black tri male).

Are there any other aussie breeders out there? I'd LOVE to check out your websites and learn as much as I can about these amazing dogs!

Not a breeder, but wanted to congratulate you on the new puppies!! :aktion033: Sounds like your going to be swimming in puppies soon!
default_wink.png
: Lucky you!

Can't wait for pics!

Not a breeder, just an Aussie lover. Can't wait to see pictures of your new arrivals.
default_wub.png
:

I have an 11 year old black-tri female, Bridgette; I've had her since she was about 3 months old.

Here's an old puppy pic from when I first brought her home:

Bridgette.jpg

And, one from a year ago, here on the ranch:

bridgette2004.jpg

She's too smart for her own good. When I got her as a puppy, I lived in town; so she's not too much of a stock dog, but she likes the minis and minds me well, so she's not a problem around them.

Congradulations, you are going to be a very busy person come March...

I have been raising Aussies for about 5 to 6 yrs now. I absolutely love the breed. We started with a red merle female, whom I unfortuntely loss to a bad accident. But we now have a Red tri female and a black tri male. We are also expecting a litter any time now. Our litters are usually around 10 pups, and its lots of work, but I love it.

Did you have any pups with too much white on the heads, we had that happen with our first litter with my merle female, she went to visit the neighbors aussie who was a blue merle, and we had 2 pups that had all white heads and the vet advised us to put them down as they can be deaf and blind, its very heartbreaking...

If I can figure out how to post pictures I will post some of my past pups...

Good luck,

BTW I will be looking for a red or blue merle female, preferably with partial or all blue eyes. Let me know what you have in your next litters. Also what is the breeding lines on yours?

Wow Kimmy that is soooooo cool.

I love those dogs. Very very smart doggies and also just plain cute

Gimmee a call already will ya??????

Please tell me you didnt just put them two down on the spot because they "could be".

I am not a dog breeder. But it does irritate me when people put pups down that are not breed standered. WE have a couple awsome dog that came about that way. My JRT that I had was one of them, that is why I got him.

My aunts GP is another. She was going to be killed because she wasnt breed standered. Well she has turn out to be a very very awsome guard dog despite the fact she isnt perfect.

Congratulations on your new litter! I can't wait to see pictures!!

I LOVE my aussie and can't understand why everyone doesn't have one!! They are such loyal dogs! Sometimes too much as she is often underfoot, but I can never yell at her as it would crush her as she is very sensitive. Her whole life, all I would have to do is look at her sternly if she needed correction and that was always enough. Mine is a little atypical in that she's a fairly low energy dog, and frankly, not too bright. My husband says that if she was our child she would have to ride the short bus. But she's SWEET and loving and the best dog anyone could want. She'll be 10 on March 20th. I don't know if I could ever have another aussie, because anything other than her might be a disappointment! Here is a recent picture:

212021193.jpg

Lastly, I do NOT like blue eyes in dogs. They always look googly to me! So I waited until my dog's breeder had a merle that had brown eyes!! Luckily there was one (my Carly) in the first litter after I made my request.

:aktion033: Congrats Kim! :aktion033:

Aren't Aussies just the best?!

I love them....so smart & fun & good looking.....

I have only 4 breeding dogs right now & will be expecting a

litter at the end of this month. You will develop a waiting list

once you've been at it awhile....such a popular breed!
default_wub.png
:

Sandy

Please tell me you didnt just put them two down on the spot because they "could be".

I am not a dog breeder. But it does irritate me when people put pups down that are not breed standered. WE have a couple awsome dog that came about that way. My JRT that I had was one of them, that is why I got him.

My aunts GP is another. She was going to be killed because she wasnt breed standered. Well she has turn out to be a very very awsome guard dog despite the fact she isnt perfect.

Ashley,

My vet at the time was also an aussie breeder, and it was not because of a breed standard that they were put down, as my female was not even papered. If you research Australian Shepherds, you will see if you have a pup with little color and no color on there head, they will almost definitely be deaf and blind, its the merle gene that does this. Thats why you are not surpose to breed merle to merle, but sometimes it happens... and some people do it on purpose and take the chance. I personally would never do it on purpose.

We did have 2 others in that litter that had a little color on there heads and we chose to let them grow up and see if they had any problems and if they did we would keep them.

Well one of them I think was deaf, and we were going to keep her, but a nice couple came and wanted 2 and it didn't matter to them that she was deaf or not. So she and her brother are now living the good life.

I hope this answers your questions. Being deaf or blind is one challenge, but both for an animal could be fatal.

Latest posts

Back