Miniature Australian Shepards/MAS

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Performancemini

Reaction score
Who out there has Miniature Australian Shepards or Miniature American Shepards? I'm not totally unfamilar with them; but wanted to hear about some of yours. Different energy levels, temperments, drawbacks and positives. I am just obsessed to own one, but my husband is not sure yet. He has only met a couple briefly and there are no units on them in the AKC and 'right dog for you' type books I have found (though I think I saw a book or two on Amazon on them). I owned Shelties (confirmation and obedience) for many years (and husband says-nice but let's do a different breed), a papillon and Schipperkees. I like the herding breeds; but don't want the full size of a standard Australian Shepard. I also am looking for a moderate energy level and want to take the dog along a lot, so will need to socialize it to other dogs and children. I work part time.

Give me some ammunition and some imput! Thanks!

Do you do FB? There are a couple mini Aussie groups there, I'm on one I really like, they seem like a real friendly, helpful bunch. I don't currently have one, but want one, I miss my standard Aussie, so thought I'd try a mini when I'm ready for another dog. Hubby thinks three dogs are plenty.

Interested as well, my current dog is quite old and hubby says no more as he hurts too much when his buddies pass. Need ammo on how to introduce another dog into the family when the time comes. Hope our boy lasts a few more years, will hate too see him go.

I had one for five years and finally had to return her to her breeder. Her energy level was so high that 3 to 4 hours of free running every day wasn't enough and she was just beside herself with with excess energy. Where she is now, she is out and running all day every day and is much happier. I really hated to give up on her, but it was what was best for her.

Remember, this is a mixed breed, not a purebred and it is a mix of sheltie and aussie, two over the top breeds.

I'll stick to my Corgis.

So far, not what I was looking for. And to open a can of worms: you would get a lot of backlash from breeders. The TRUE Mini is not a cross between a Sheltie and an Aussie- just reduced in size from the standards (ie. minis vs. Shetlands in ponies). Though to me- a lot of the toy size DO look like a cross between Shelties and Aussies. (and I personally don't care much for that look).

I have been in contact with several breeders (they show confirmation and some in obedience). Yes, on FB. I am not knocking Shelties either-I had them for almost 30 years and showed in confirmation and obedience.

I can believe the high energy level. But I also know there are more moderate energy dogs/pups out there. But, of course, a good thing to keep in mind. Corgis are a nice breed. I've known several of both the Pembroke and the Cardigans.

Well- I'll just keep digging and looking for now I guess.

There are definitely both low and high drive dogs in the breed, and if you find a breeder worth their salt, they hook you up with a pup with the right energy for your needs/wants.

I'll see about getting you hooked up with a couple breeders that post on that FB page, if you'd like, perhaps they can answer your questions more than I can. I think a couple might have websites, so could probably link those for you.

I've never had one but I like them, l really love the blue eyed merles. I have a friend in Delaware who raises them if you'd like to see her dogs and the great information she provides you can visit her site: http://jandfminiatures.com/

We have been breeding mini aussies for over 10 years the comment that they are a mix breed is untrue. Our dogs are registered with American Stock Dog Registry and we take our bloodlines very seriously. We breed for minis with good minds temperaments and we do not allow bad personalities or over the top attitudes in our program. Our dogs are laid back and mellow yes they love to play but they also know when it's time to chill out.We have several pups in therapy homes and several that do agility we also have one client whose dog does both her dog is Excels in agility but moment her therapy collar comes out she mellow and calmest dog you will never meet.Thru the years I have found that people who have bad experiences with mini aussies either purchased from an breeder who isn't reputable or did not train the pup correctly at an early age. Aussies are very intelligent and have earned the nickname velcro dogs because they are fiercely loyal to their owners they want to please .So many people get a pup and think it's OK to keep them locked in a crate for hours because they are too busy to give them attention they deserve. If your too busy then get a stuffed animal not a living pup. We do not allow our pups to leave until at least 9 weeks old this gives them time to learn from their moms and siblings they need this time to mature emotionally. I kept back three pups recently from a spring litters they are now 14-16 weeks old they love to play but once I tell them it's nite nite time they go into puppy room in their pen and never make a sound till morning I have never had a pup scream through the night now do my clients ever complain about their new baby fussing at night. This is because we start them right and they are quick learners. I'm always happy to answer any questions or help buyers locate the pup that's best for their family. We have a Facebook page for our pups.

Painted Perfection Mini Aussies.

Latest posts

Back