My 384 day foal is finally here!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddeeva

Reaction score
default_biggrin.png
Halleluah, praise the lord, my little gift has finally decided the exit the womb!

3:30 am I got my dream. A little 17.4 lb BUCKSKIN FILLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My BREEDER ALERT pager went off & I trekked to the barn casually thinking Nuggett was in early stages of labor since my TV showed her rolling.

To my surprise less than 5 min later-foal was out & sac did not break. I leaped over my stall guard & ripped it open with my hands. She was not breathing! I cleared her nose, stroked it & gave her a few chest compressions, then blew into her nostrils & prayed. She gasped & her little heart went to beating as fast as it could go. The placenta came out with her but the cord didnt break so after watching her stuggle to stand with the cord around her legs for 40 min., I went in & tied it with a shoe sting & cut the cord.

Baby & mom are fine, shes nursing, sleeping, running, & pooping. Vet coming tonight to do blood test since mare dripped milk off & on past 4 days.

Thanks to anyone who prayed for me. 384 days is a record in all my Equine friends book. Everyone thought I was crazy & messed up breeding dates, but I know I didnt. Stud left here June 3, I had shoulder surgery, Then went to PA to visit family. I never got stud back after the first few days of June 2008.

I would have been a nervous wreak if not for the internet. I watched so many foaling clips on youtube & talked to so many people & read alot on mini experiences. How did we do it before the days of computers?

Ill ad a pic when I figure out how.

A HUGE congratulations to you. I'm so glad the marathon for you and her is finally over and you have a healthy filly!

Congratulations!!! Thank God you were there to save her!

Sounds like you made a great save. It would have been H E double L to wait that long then lose it at birth.

Great Job!!!
default_thumbup.gif

Course now we're all waiting for pictures. If you need help posting them let me know.

Wow! Somebody must have set that mares oven on low.
default_no.gif

Any foal of mine would have been 30 plus pounds by then!

Wow! Somebody must have set that mares oven on low.
default_no.gif

Any foal of mine would have been 30 plus pounds by then!

Soooo many mares went LATE this year. Crazy. 360 was very normal... I have a tiny filly at 372 (18" and teeny tiny, beautiful head). And Lex looks great. So...they bake longer for a reason, I guess..
default_wacko.png

P.S. Waiting, patiently, for pics
default_whistling.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Having trouble getting pics small enough to download here.

Anybody have suggestions? I have Photoshop Elements. SHowing pic resized to under 46K but upload keeps failing. Says file lareger than available space.

Congratulations and great save! She is precious.

The mares didn't all go over - I have a 3 week old colt that isn't due until next Friday (he arrived fully cooked at 303 days).

Beautiful little baby..Congratulations on getting her here safe and sound....

Congratulations!!
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah I'd have to shoot myself if my mares went that long!
default_biggrin.png
Good save! Cute filly!
default_wub.png

Back