mushrooms

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JO~*

Reaction score
I was just driving home from horse/dog sitting when I spyed these on the side of the road. Normally I would have cut them off at the bottom but I was in a hurry when I got these. King Bolets.
default_eat.gif
:

mushrooms003.jpg

Wow...those are HUGE...are they edible??!! I guess you relly have to know what you're looking for or else you can end up pretty sick......I have no idea about mushrooms and the different kinds that grow around here.
default_wacko.png
:

Wow...those are HUGE...are they edible??!! I guess you relly have to know what you're looking for or else you can end up pretty sick......I have no idea about mushrooms and the different kinds that grow around here.
default_wacko.png
:
Yes this one is ok to eat. I only eat two or three differnt kinds. My husband likes these but I like the chantrells (sp) better, they make a really good cream of mushroom soup.

Their are lots of mushrooms in our neck of the woods but I am to chicken to try most of them. We have lots that will make you sick or even kill you.

We gets mushroom buyer that come here for the winter. Some of the mushrooms are pretty $$.

People rape the forests looking for the $$ ones :no: .

My mom is NOTORIOUS for hunting mushrooms.

On the way home from some sort of event I can see her head scanning the sides of the roads. She has even gone into peoples' properties! Embarassing!

Being the daughter of her I can point out shaggy manes, chanterelles, black trumpets, chicken mushrooms, oyster mushrooms, and sooooooooo many more.

In all honesty, I think they are disgusting!

My husband hunts for the morels (they are very expensive). There are some out there that resemble the morels too so you have to be very careful. I don't eat mushrooms of any kind...yuck!

My mom is NOTORIOUS for hunting mushrooms.

On the way home from some sort of event I can see her head scanning the sides of the roads. She has even gone into peoples' properties! Embarassing!

Being the daughter of her I can point out shaggy manes, chanterelles, black trumpets, chicken mushrooms, oyster mushrooms, and sooooooooo many more.

In all honesty, I think they are disgusting!
That’s funny, I used to be that way too.

On a rainy Thanksgiving day I remember when I was pregnant and really big AND really overweight

I was walking in a clearing in the woods soaked to the bone looking for mushrooms.

By the time I got myself out of there I was so tired.

I don’t like mushrooms that much anymore.

Oooh! Morel hunting is a family tradition for us. After reading Marty's Halloween post, it's a comfort to me to know there are still other people out there in boots with bags and sticks and leaves in their hair looking for a few wrinkly mushrooms.

Hunting for Morels up here is just about as popular as NASCAR.

:new_shocked: Wow! I've never seen mushrooms like that down here in the South. I love mushrooms; but just buy the ones at the grocery store. We have some that come up in the yard, but I'm afraid they are poisonous. I bet it is a lot of fun going on a mushroom hunt!

Joan

My mom was quite the mushroom hunter, too. She hunted more than just the ones for eating, the "other" kind, too, and also made us kids do her work. :eek:

That said, there's nothing like fresh chanterelles. We have them here in the woods around us, they are amazing. This has been a good year for them, too.

It is nothing to play around with, though, picking up wild mushrooms unless you have someone to help you determine the edibility or are very good at determining that yourself.

Liz M.

Ewww--I'm not a mushroom fan. There are some growing in the pasture, which worries me. I keep tossing them out. I remember hearing somewhere that if they are white underneath they're edible, black and they're not??? Is that right? Some of the ones I'm finding are black. Hopefully the horses won't eat them!! I'm trying to keep up!
default_unsure.png
:
I don't think I would trust that saying :no:

Yeah I wouldn't trust that saying, either... I LOVE portobello mushrooms and they're pretty black underneath. They make my spaghetti sauce really dark in color...

Andrea

Latest posts

Back