Multi color class question???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rvcsherman

Reaction score
Are the rules still the same? Are the judges looking for 50/50 color? If a drop dead gorgeous frame overo goes into the ring with a plain jane 50/50 tobiano......the tobiano wins? That's terrible!!! I think the winner should be the most unusual or hard to find color (conformation being the same). What about a wild colored appy? Would the plain jane 50/50 tobiano win over him too? :eek: Went to a show this weekend & it got me thinking!
default_wacko.png
:

I think that rule is still in tact, but mostly it really comes down to what that judge thinks. It is his/her oppinion.

Chaz

The way I understood it is that it's whatever color the judge likes best at that moment (?). I don't show "a lot" in color though and it's usually solid colored horses when I do, so I could be confused.

It depends on if it is a AMHA or AMHR show.. my understanding although I dont know I dont show AMHA is that AMHA is judged on conformation and well as color and AMHR strictly color so when going on color there is no right or wrong or better or worse it is all about one one person prefers

I think it should be based on 50/50 color. However, it's really an opinion class I think. I have a dappled perlino buckskin mare that doesn't have much white at all, maybe 25/75, and she wins in color all the time.

Well, I know in Pinto it is supposed to be 50/50 color, but I really do think it is whatever the judge happens to like. Also, many judges are carded for PtHA, AMHA, AMHR, and several other registries and probably have trouble remembering the color rules themselves! Our minimal white black and white filly, complete with a white tail, has won the class in both AMHA and Pinto over what I consider more "colorful" entries.

I personally think it is a class that everyone should be encouraged to enter (e.g. no entry fee) because you never know how the judge will pin it!

In AMHR is based strictly on color. In AMHA it's 80% color & 20% conformation. In either one, you are at the judges mercy...ie: what colors & patterns they prefer personally.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

They also "should" take into consideration 50/50 color & how evenly they are marked on both sides, as well as GROOMING! They should be spit-shined & gleaming!
default_yes.gif
:

That's how they "should" be judged...but I once saw a very drab muddy brown looking horse who obviously was not clipped recently & had sunbleached mane & tail. This was a pinto & the white even looked dirty. It also was marked very un-evenly (mostly white on one side & spots on the other). This horse placed high under both judges....against some stunningly beautiful pintos & Appys. Still can't figure out why?
default_wacko.png
: I think a lot of judges really NEED to re-read the rules on some of these classes.
default_yes.gif
:

But honestly.....color class placings can be all over the place. I've shown my Frame Overos in classes where they've won under one judge, and got the gate from another. You just can't take it personally.

Last edited by a moderator:
A month ago, I was at an AMHR show, and asked both judges on how a solid and multi colored class was judged. Both judges stated it was strictly on their personal preference. There is no set rule. If one judge likes appys, he will place them higher, etc.... They said it is a shot in the dark when we show in those classes. At least they were being honest. Although that made me decide not to show in that class anymore :no:

We show in color class all the time.
default_rolleyes.gif
: We show AMHR, most times the Multi Color winner has also placed high

in its halter class. So I truely believe conformation is considered more than you think.
default_yes.gif
:

One of our sorrel medicine hat stallions was most always the color winner. He was all white, with sorrel colored ears and sky blue eyes.

Also our blue roan tovero pinto mare won most of her color classes & if she didn't win she was 2nd.

Both of these horses were usuelly 1st or 2nd in their halter class.

jmo cjmm

Glad to hear so many good replies. I think I had read somewhere that the multi color class was based on 50/50 color & I don't agree with that. This past weekend I watched a multi color class & spoke with the judge afterward. I told her that I would not be a good color judge. I had pinned the blue eyed medicine hat mare to win & think she actually placed last. I just don't care for ho-hum tobiano pintos, I like the more unusual markings like overo & tovero.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Another example of how odd these placings can get - our UNCLIPPED black and white gelding beat the current Pinto World Champion Color Stallion at a Pinto show 2 weeks ago (they are supposed to judge 100% on color). He was clean and well-groomed, and he is 50/50 color, which Pinto considers the ideal, but we were still surprised.

With my chestnut leopard sometimes I place high, and sometimes not at all. It does just depend on who's judging and some may like a tobiano more than an overo... or some dont like Appies, some do...

Latest posts

Back