Splash question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucky-C-Acres-Minis

Reaction score
So on her post asking frame/splash a couple of you had mentioned you think sabino was/is responsible for the leg white and heavy face white, as you would suspect blue eyes with splash. Now with me looking at the foal I would have for sure said LWO and/or Splash and would test (GORGEOUS colt btw).. Never would I have thought purely sabino..
default_unsure.png

So with that said my stallion has both dark brown eyes, he is LWO negative, so for a while I was suspecting tobiano and sabino (as the edges of his white is roany)

40015_412565759612_224524494612_4635475_8318793_n.jpg

That was until last year's foals and then I started thinking he was splash as well!

First was Max, he is out of a tobiano/splash/LWO negative mare (she does have a full blue eye and a partial blue eye) So I was figuring him to be tobiano/splash/sabino (sabino because of the roany/jagged edges of his white patterning). He does NOT have blue eyes, so would you still say he is splash?

222385_10150157593549613_224524494612_6627662_7822187_n.jpg

And then there was Teddy! This little guy was a huge surprise, never expected this much white! His dam is solid black bay, I have not found a white spot on her, tho she does have lighter colored hair in front of her udder but it's not white. Her sire was a pinto, her dam supposedly an appy (tho I've never seen photos), and Daisy herself does NOT have ANY appy characteristics, eyes are dark, no appy sclera, no mottling and has never thrown an appy or appy characteristic foal except one who was sired by an appy stallion (even that foal was born solid bay and wasn't until he was a year old did he start appy roaning).. This is the third LOUD colored pinto foal like this that this mare has delivered (all by pinto stallions, two were full siblings and then my colt, and she's bred back the same way for this year). So again, I was thinking this colt was tobiano/sabino and without a doubt splash, but again, no blue eyes?

46130_421414859612_224524494612_4854117_2345214_n.jpg

He's got three other foals, (bred by Chesa)

A solid black out of a solid bay

Cole

Silver dapple pinto out of a solid silver bay:

Gordy

Chestnut pinto out of a chestnut minimal pinto mare:

Yoda

I think Teddy is splash for sure but I'm not an expert on coloring (I used to think I was until I really started looking into it... All I can say is
default_new_shocked.gif
) but I wish I had more room here, I would love to bring Teddy out to Az for my next driving horse! Or make him a matched pair with my driving gelding. He's such a good looking little guy and has amazing markings to boot
default_biggrin.png

Thanks for the compliment on my colt, Lucky C
default_smile.png
I also have to say, I never would have considered Sabino to be the main cause of his white, though I am certain it very well may be, that thought just didn't cross my mind when he was born...Particulary due to his dam having the tiny white star/hind sock and his large blaze. I am looking forward to getting him out into the sunshine when the weather clears up to get a better look at his eyes, hopefully to determine whether they are dark blue or brown.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back