Multi-Color Class Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If you had a grey and white pinto, would you eneter in a color class?

• Yes

Votes: 17 60.7%
  • No

Votes: 11 39.3%

• Total voters

Mominis

Reaction score
It seems to me that, as a grey and white pinto will eventually grey all the way out, they wouldn't be as successful in a color class. As you guys know, I know nothing about color classes at all. So, I thought it would be fun to see your opinions. Does anyone have one that has ever been shown successfully in color classes?

I dont have a grey and white and I am new at this but arent most colour classes opened to Pinto and Appys.

I think 80% is judged on natural colour and 20% on confirmation.

If your horse turned all grey I dont think you would enter the multi-colour class when that happened but until then you could.

Sorry I wasnt any help.

In my experience, color class judging is all in the eye of the "beholder" - the judge. So it depends on what the judge likes.

We also have a gray and white mini (see avatar) that I am tempted to throw in a multicolor class so when he turns gray and (we would hope) has some multicolor point on his show record, people will go "WHAT???"

BTW, his pinto dam had turned all gray by the time she was weaned so we never got a chance to show her in multicolor!

ETA: (after I did the poll) Our guy hasn't been entered in multicolor yet because he is only a yearling and has only been to one show. Under other circumstances, I would enter him for sure!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I entered a gray/white pinto mare in multicolor. The gate runner even questioned me going in the class! It was a class of 6 and she placed 3/4 under the 2 judges. When she is clipped you can still see her spots but if she is in summer/winter coat she looks pure white.

As long as the horse has good color contrast between his white spots and his body color I'd go for it. And in AMHA conformation is 20% of the equation.

Color classes are one of my favorites (including Solid Color class). Beautiful horses groomed to perfection and with the added bonus of sometimes spectacular color and/or patterns.

Good Luck!

Charlotte

Another thing to think about it that if you have enough classes for an "all day fee" if that is offered then why not add the extra class. I take my solid grey in color and some judges like him others dont, its all about what they like that day. Also you will find that even when he greys out more, when you clip you still will be able to see the markings to a certain extent.

My own opinion on the Color Class is that it is just an "extra fun class" and not really anything I'd care to be super-competitive in. I put more stock in the halter and driving classes, and then some performance classes like Liberty or the jumping classes.

If you've got the money, just want to have fun, or it's a flat-rate show bill, go on in! I have watched quite a few color classes and who knows what the judge will pick? Some like the appaloosas, and some do not. I've seen fairly minimally marked pintos place over leopard appaloosas. I've seen solid colored chestnuts that were freshly clipped and looked pretty washed out place over jet-black, shiny horses.

I often would let kids or my friends who have never shown take my horses in the color classes, there isn't much expected of the horse or handler so it was fun for them.

I don't think I'd let Shake's color deter me, I'd just determine if the class was worth it at the show at the time, or not.

Have fun,

Andrea

"If your horse turned all grey I dont think you would enter the multi-colour class when that happened but until then you could."

Just had to add this - I was showing at a fun show with a horse that had grayed to pure white, but was born sorrel pinto. The judge was a friend. I put my horse in multi color, and she walked around my horse about 6 times, even bending down to check under the belly, jaw, neck, and mane. Finally she stepped up to me and asked "why is this horse in this class?" Because he's a pinto!! Although you can only see his spots when he's wet!!

So if this is a graying horse - turning white all over - then you might not want to put him in a color class and hope to do well, because he would have to show in multi color. But, if you are just qualifying for Nationals, it's a quick class with much less stress.

Now if he is a silver dapple and white, where the colors are clearly defined, then absolutely you can put him in. Lots of judges like silver dapple pintos.

I have a dark grey and white gelding that I show in open shows againest the biggies and he always places in the top three, the first time he placed(againest appys and some nice black and white pintos)I asked someone on the rail and they told me he stood out againest all the "regular" multi color horses
default_rolleyes.gif
so if you like your horses color I'd go for it!!! Good Luck Val

I don't know what a silver dapple and white is, but I'm fairly sure Shake isn't one. lol He's a very dark grey with white. His dark spots do look as though they will dapple out when I clip him, but I don't think that's what you mean by silver dapple.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm just trying to figure out what to enter in this upcoming show. I'm thinking that Shake and I are just going to stay low-key, enjoy being at the show and just enter two year old geldings. But, I'm trying to get my husband to show him too and a no-pressure class like multi seems like it be may be the place for him. My husband has only been in the show ring one time, other than as a header, and swore he'd never show again. I want it to be a good experience for him, if I can actually get him in the ring. Nice to know that I wouldn't be way out of line entering multi with them. Thanks!

I don't know what a silver dapple and white is, but I'm fairly sure Shake isn't one. lol He's a very dark grey with white. His dark spots do look as though they will dapple out when I clip him, but I don't think that's what you mean by silver dapple.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm just trying to figure out what to enter in this upcoming show. I'm thinking that Shake and I are just going to stay low-key, enjoy being at the show and just enter two year old geldings. But, I'm trying to get my husband to show him too and a no-pressure class like multi seems like it be may be the place for him. My husband has only been in the show ring one time, other than as a header, and swore he'd never show again. I want it to be a good experience for him, if I can actually get him in the ring. Nice to know that I wouldn't be way out of line entering multi with them. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back