Mud, mud, mud, and MUD!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wingnut

Reaction score
I need your best mud strategies and suggestions!!

When we added horses #5 and #6, we knew we needed another building. Our setup is two run-in shed with tack room buildings with the stalls split in half. The first building has dual dutch doors and we plan on doing the same with the other building. When we put in the second building we set it 12 feet from the other building with the two openings facing each other. My husband did a good job of building up a level pad and laid sufficient stone to allow proper drainage under it.

The problem is that there isn't enough air flow between the two buildings now and we've had an incredibly wet fall. The mud just doesn't completely dry up and when it even comes close, we have another 2-3 days of rain. We've been talking about strategies to fix this. We need to put up some gutters on the buildings so we can direct that rain water away from the area. The ground also slopes down to these buildings and right now it's literally funneling water straight into this area between the buildings. So, my husband knows he needs to build a berm so that water is directed away. We're also trying to decide if we should lay down some other material in that area. We've talked about sand, but my husband is afraid it will simply pack down and become nearly concrete-like.

We want to do something in the coming few weeks so it's done for the winter. Our farrier was out yesterday and I've got 3 (of 6) girls that have thrush in at least one hoof. I suspect that this directly related to the constant mud. Until we get the mud situation figured out (or at least improved), my plan is to block them from this area for the better part of the day but only if the weather is such that they don't need the shelter. Of course, we're looking at rain for much of the week. Again!

I would have to say #2 or #3 stone as a base then pea size stone or modified pea size stone on top so it packs down and creates a smooth surface. The larger stone on the bottom acts as drainage. Living at the base of a mountain with plenty of run off,gravel is one of my best friends!

Short term/emergency fix (we are going through the same thing here); we have put mats down over the highest traffic areas where the mud is the worst. These are mats that Tractor Supply sells rolled up and they come in various sizes. They can be easily moved by people, but the horses leave them in place. Then on sunny days we move them out of the way to help the mud dry. This is the worst mud we have had in 8 years. We are seeing some thrush too and are treating aggressively. We are also watching for scratches.

We also dump our (clean) wet bedding into the muddy areas, which helps dry things up too.

Last edited by a moderator:
targetsmom: my farrier also mentioned putting down some mats. I think I'll do that in the next couple of days.

carolyn: I'll mention your solution to hubby. He's a operating engineer by trade (i.e., dirt mover....heavy equipment operator) and I know this is along the lines of what he would like to do.

I use gravel! And its all over my barnyard where I walk so I don't slip in the mud and take a header. Nope I have not had issues with horse feet from it. Nothing works better and believe me, in 40 years of horses I have tried it all. We just dumped the last of my gravel pile yestarday and I'm screaming for more already.

Last year I laid down a pretty serious layer of sand, which did help with the mud. It goes out about 15' from the stalls on each paddock and the mares pasture. This year I brought in two loads of gravel and put about a 6" layer of #3 clean gravel on top of that sand. So far so good.

Mud has certainly not been a serious issue with us this year. However, I did see someone using old carpeting in an erroding area of a lot with success. It might be hard to dispose of when you are finished with it, but it could be an inexpensive, temporary option.

I highly recommend pea gravel and lots of it. In my feeding areas I put down rubber matts from TSC. LOVE the pea gravel and rubber mats. No more mud... no frozen hoof prints to tippy toe over. No more thrush. I put down about 6 inches of gravel. I add more when it sinks down, I do this about once a year. LOVE the gravel. Sand was horrible... turned into sand soup. Then I tried gravel dust, and it turned into grey soup. Then I tried 3a modified, combination of rocks and gravel dust. YUCK. Then I tried pea gravel and it has been a love match for us here.
default_wub.png
LOL, try it, you'll like it. Worth every penny.

The only advice I can offer to be would be to fence off the worst parts with temporary electric tape on t-posts or fiberglass step in posts, metal corral panels, or stock panels and try to keep the horses off as long as possible so they don't continue to churn it up even more. That's what I did so now they're in the dryest part which is uphill so the water runs off and most in on what used to be the gravel driveway. Now that it gets dark at 5:30, I bring the horses in early when it gets dark, so when I go to feed dinner at 8:00, having had the horses on the shavings for at least 2 1/2 hours, the mud pack in their hooves is pretty much dry. Then, while they're munching on their hay, I pick out their hooves, and brush down their lower legs with the body brush. No skin or thrush problems thus far, and our paddock has been pretty wet, and then damp and muddy all autumn long. If you could set up a temporary corral on a gravel drive by your stables and split the herd if possible, so 3 in one corral, and 3 in the other, it should really help with allowing the paddocks to dry up quite a bit. Best of luck with your paddocks, hope they dry up soon. I know the feeling of wet paddocks and hate them!

Dan.

We have had a terrible time with mud this fall. I ended up moving the groups to the alternate paddocks. When we first bought the farm we made 2 double paddocks with sheds for the minis. Now I'm glad that we went to all the trouble. The first double, girls and boys separated, right in front of the run in sheds was getting very muddy. I couldn't walk into the shed without loosing a boot. We opted to move the gang to the smaller paddocks for a few months until the ground freezes or the mud dries up. The ground even slopes away from the run in she front but because they stand at the edge while it was raining it made groves for the rain to collect and now its terrible.

More good info....thanks!

Unfortunately, the area in question is THE main area around our "barns". There's no blocking it off. We're going to be doing some work this weekend which includes building doors on the new building. I'm thinking we'll also get some gutters to hang up as well and start minimizing how much water falls directly in this area.

Shorthorsemom: Thanks for the input on the pea gravel. I've seen you mention this numerous times before and have definitely considered it. Think I'll make some calls to price a load.

Unfortunately, the area in question is THE main area around our "barns". There's no blocking it off. We're going to be doing some work this weekend which includes building doors on the new building. I'm thinking we'll also get some gutters to hang up as well and start minimizing how much water falls directly in this area.

Shorthorsemom: Thanks for the input on the pea gravel. I've seen you mention this numerous times before and have definitely considered it. Think I'll make some calls to price a load.
I have pea gravel around my little barn and a water tank. It scatters big time. Does get into hooves, but it's not really an issue if you check pretty often. It is nice not to have to walk through mud, but it does have drawbacks unless it has barriers. I try to rake it back into position occasionally.

We live on a hillside with just enough of a plateau to catch all of the runoff...and we live on the wet side of Oregon. With clay soil. Our one corral was so bad last year, with the worst part right by the gate, that I think there's a boot buried somewhere...

Anyway, I finally had to take action. With our clay, if you put down gravel directly on the ground, it will simply disappear. I had been advised to first put down geotextile (like they use under roads), but that cost more than the gravel. Fortunately, I had some heavy-duty weed block fabric. We laid down an 8 x 100 ft. strip, then several inches of gravel. Instead of pea gravel, which can be like walking on marbles, we used river gravel, which is somewhat rounded but packs down nicely. I could walk on it barefoot, yet it is firm enough to help toughen up my tenderfoot horse's soles.

I also dug a french drain outside the uphill fenceline to hopefully divert the runoff.

So far, it's working great. I pick hooves daily and have kept an eye out for any problems, but all is well. Both horses in that corral (Mingus and Scarlet) love to roll and scratch their backs on it.

My paddock is enclosed with wire fencing. I put the pea gravel in deep and replenish when it sinks. I wish I could take a photo. My paddocks are loafing areas and are not overly big. The gravel is about 4-5 inches deep when I first put it down. I put the rubber mats down and I broom them off daily, the gravel does scatter around on the mats. Before I tried the gravel I had boot sucking mud. Then it would freeze and the boys would be tippy toeing over the horrible ground.. I tripped over a frozen hoof print and fell and dislocated my thumb. I had one night where one of my boys ventured out of the shed during an ice storm and looked like Bambi on the ice. It was then I did the peagravel. Pete Ramey loves it too. I pick the poos daily with a small tined fork. It does not freeze, it drains well and it makes the nicest and hardest feet and they have nice arch and the frogs are in great shape. No matter what the weather, the pea gravel seems to work nicely. It doesn't stick in my guys feet overly bad because the feet are in great shape. I buy the expensive stuff. It is called Salmon and is by Mr. Mulch and is 3/8 th? (I think, I can check if you need the size). I have pasture available but for loafing, the boys are either on the pea gravel or in the stable that I bed up with pine shavings.

Not sure if I have a photo around to show you, will look.
default_saludando.gif

thanks Shorthorsemom (and drivin*me*buggy!) for the pics. The pea gravel I have available (at least from the one place) is 1/2".

Before I tried the gravel I had boot sucking mud. Then it would freeze and the boys would be tippy toeing over the horrible ground..
Yes!!! Boot sucking is exactly what I'd call it! LOL! We had another day of nearly constant rain with MORE coming overnight....it should be quite the fun mess tomorrow. Not!

Part of our Thanksgiving dinner talk will be about this
default_smile.png
Along with barn door building and maybe some rain gutter installing....well, talking about it on T-day anyway. The work will follow on Black Friday
laugh.gif

thanks Shorthorsemom (and drivin*me*buggy!) for the pics. The pea gravel I have available (at least from the one place) is 1/2".

Yes!!! Boot sucking is exactly what I'd call it! LOL! We had another day of nearly constant rain with MORE coming overnight....it should be quite the fun mess tomorrow. Not!

Part of our Thanksgiving dinner talk will be about this
default_smile.png
Along with barn door building and maybe some rain gutter installing....well, talking about it on T-day anyway. The work will follow on Black Friday
laugh.gif

If you use the pea gravel you might want to try something as a base first that is a cheaper stone, all my failures added to my base, and I still put many dollars of pea gravel on top of that and quite a bit sunk into my bog. This loafing area is down hill from my "pasturette" and the mud used to slide right down and cover the gravel..., Eventually I caught up and it is bliss now, but it was not a "one and done" situation at all. I bet I have 50 ton of gravel in my paddocks. . I just add a few ton every year now to replenish. It looks as nice as in the photos Angie posted for me. If you get it deep enough it doesn't stick in the feet, it kind of undulates under their feet. Good for post foundered horses for support of the sole and frog. I love my rubber mats on top in my feeding areas, but I admit to having to broom them off daily. The mats work well for the farrier too. After my dislocated thumb and the scary ice and dealing with mud that really did pull my boots off... I couldn't move the horses, and I couldn't change how the water ran down hill to my paddock... so I just added gravel over and over until I got it where I am very happy with it. Not trying to discourage you, but do want you to realize that this nice looking gravel was a lot of work, but for my situation... well worth it and the money was dragged out over several years one load at a time, so it didn't make me cry too much.
default_laugh.png

Latest posts

Back