Mucous plug!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slaneyrose

Reaction score
my maiden mare is due April 19th but yesterday she lost her mucous plug as I could see the blood traces around her vulva, and today she had a bit more. How long before mares foal have you noticed this? The last time I actually saw this was 2 yrs ago and the mare went 10days.

I think it all depends on the mare.. My tobiano mare lost hers about a week before delivering

Found this on mucous plug

Blood-spotting in itself isn't necessarily cause for alarm - it's always much more impressive-looking against a grey coat, remember. It's not unusual, and may be quite normal. Sometime before foaling, usually a week to ten days before foaling, sometimes just a few days before, a mare will lose the mucous plug that has been blocking her cervix. If the mare is dark and you're not looking under her tail, you may not notice this at all; if the mare is light and you ARE looking, this can look like a small, slightly bloody discharge. The plug can come out all at once, or slowly and over a few days. If you've been noticing a significant discharge for more than a few days in a row, or if there's a good deal more blood than would typically be associated with a mucous plug (just enough to turn it pinkish-brown), then it would be a good idea to have the vet take another look. Don't panic - it's not necessarily anything horrible or dangerous. It's possible that she may have a ruptured vaginal blood vessel, which, if it's a small one, isn't necessarily cause for alarm. And although it's not typical, some mares lose that mucous plug two weeks or more before foaling - and some mares show a little blood every day for a week or two before producing a perfectly normal foal.

I just noticed she has a bit of dried blood at the bottom of her vulva (no pun intended
default_rolleyes.gif
: ) come to think of it, its been there a few days I think. Anyway, she is in the foaling stall now with the camera on her and I just went out to check them all and then assess her and her bag is on fire, teats straight down, belly V with the point of it at her knees!!! lol but her tail head isnt up that much and she tenses whenever I try to feel for squishyness. Vulva not long either but it is swollen so she must have been rubbing. SOOOOO....its another sleepless night for me!!

Latest posts

Back