moxidectin recommended wormer in World Mag

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Birchcrestminis

Reaction score
I was just doing some reading in the latest December 2009 Miniature Horse World magazine. Has anyone else noticed on page 96 the article recommended worming with moxidectin twice a year.

Under good barn keeping practises, it says to begin your worming regimen with a five days daily dose course of moxidectin for horses showing a high fecal egg count!
default_new_shocked.gif
Please correct me if I am wrong, but I wouldn't use the stuff at all

for my minis.

Any comments?

Cathy

Found this on a page from Food and Drug Adm. animal/veternairy dated 2009: "The FDA-approved labeling for both Quest® (moxidectin) 2% Equine Oral Gel and Quest® Plus (moxidectin/praziquantal) Equine Oral Gel contain the following statements:

In the Warnings section:

Extreme caution should be used when administering the product to foals, young and miniature horses, as overdosage may result in serious adverse reactions. Do not use in sick, debilitated, or underweight animals. Not for horses or ponies intended for human consumption."

Some people, I've read on here, use it for minis BUT the real difficult thing is getting that weight CORRECT!

IMO it's not worth the chance.

Cathy,

I haven't looked but is it possible that the article was written for horse management IN GENERAL, and not specifically for miniatures?

Often The World will publish a generic article from a vet and this advice may have "slipped through the cracks"...... Hopefully in the next publication a correction will be printed with the information from the Quest Warning Label.......

Sandee,

Thank you for publishing the Warning........It took a LONG TIME before that was finally added onto the Quest Packaging. There are other manufacturers of the wormer: Moxidectin, but I don't know their names or if they have also printed the warning...... Anyone know???

(I cringed over the term they used -- " overdosage may result in serious adverse reactions." ...... In other words, DEATH.)

I have said this before, and I will say it again....Ohio State University STRONGLY urges this product to NOT be used on any horse.

Under good barn keeping practises, it says to begin your worming regimen with a five days daily dose course of moxidectin for horses showing a high fecal egg count!
default_new_shocked.gif
Cathy
I wonder if it wasn't a typo (well product confusion), cause the only 5 day treatment I know of is Panacur (fenbendazole) at double dose for 5 days. Perhaps the editor didn't do their job (or just didn't know about products). Just a thought.

I was just doing some reading in the latest December 2009 Miniature Horse World magazine. Has anyone else noticed on page 96 the article recommended worming with moxidectin twice a year.Under good barn keeping practises, it says to begin your worming regimen with a five days daily dose course of moxidectin for horses showing a high fecal egg count!
default_new_shocked.gif

for my minis.

Any comments?

Cathy
I was reading that article also and thought, wait just a minute here.

You wonder sometimes if someone, with a lot of knowledge, ever proof reads these things. They even have a little chart you can cut out to keep your worming rotations proper. Yikes!!
default_no.gif

I think I will stick to what I know is safe and works.

Someone needs to call them immediately... five days of moxidectin, even measured CORRECTLY, will kill any and every horse its given to! The leathal dose is only 3x.

I was just doing some reading in the latest December 2009 Miniature Horse World magazine. Has anyone else noticed on page 96 the article recommended worming with moxidectin twice a year.Under good barn keeping practises, it says to begin your worming regimen with a five days daily dose course of moxidectin for horses showing a high fecal egg count!
default_new_shocked.gif

for my minis.

Any comments?

Cathy
Yes... comments that come to my mind are "liability" and "lawsuits". What a potential mess
default_no.gif

I am in the "should not be used on anything, small medium or large" brigade!!

The overdose has little to do with weight, I do keep saying this, BTW!

It has to do with the way that the chemical is stored in the FAT of the animal, and released over a 13 week period.

If there is not enough FAT (body weight can be made up of muscle alone with little of no fat especially in a warm climate) then the chemical will be dumped into the digestive system intact, as it has nowhere to be stored, and this will result in an overdose of chemical being released.

So, weight does NOT = overdose.

FAT = dose/overdose with Moxidectin.

I went into this in great detail when I first heard of the possible problems and, on another board that deals with all sizes of Appies, I heard of near death of at least two big horses from the CORRECT amount for the weight of the animals, being given.

IMO this chemical is not safe for use.

Sure you all know remember what happened to Theia... via a stupid Vet. She could of died and I had to call the company to get help. Moxidectin wormer is DANGEROUS to mini's!!!!

Since the MHW is a publication for miniature horses only, I would think their articles would pertain to miniature horses only - since we as miniature horse owners "know" there is a difference between the big ones and little ones.

I did not read this as yet, but if indeed it is printed in the magazine like this there needs to be an immediate email to everyone they can possibly email to. This could be tragic and waiting until the next issue may be too late.

** It seems I recall that employees of AMHA cannot own miniature horses?

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just reading the article this past week and had thought how handy it was to have the recommendations in a cut out.

Over the years I have only used Ivermectin and Panacur. I knew not to use Quest but had no clue the moxidectin was quest. I am so glad this was brought to my attention. More than likely had I gone to the feed store looking for it I would have realized the stuff was the same, but just the same it would be way to easy to make a potential fatal mistake. And for a breed publication to make such a mistake as to publish these recommendations is unthinkable.

That certainly sounds like an incorrect dosing regimen!! Not good to have out there! I hope they rectify it somehow--email, note in the next magazine, something.

In regards to overdosing things--and I am not recommending moxidectin, just repeating a little tip--something you can do to prevent slippage of the knob on the dewormer tube (and thus overdosing of your mini), is to squirt the correct amount from the tube into a small syringe (remove the plunger and put into syringe, then replace plunger), and then give the dewormer that way. Actually--this works quite well for bute, banamine, other tube things that can be easily overdosed as well.

Latest posts

Back