Mowing lawns

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mightymiracles

Reaction score
I have a draft as well as my minis and I love to do driving and different things with all of them but I never thought of this till someone mentioned to me about mowing lawns with them. So I get online and dont see to much really but know it can be done. Normally its with a pony, they leave smaller prints and have smaller turn radius etc...

So I guess my question has anyone tried this and or know where I could get more info on it. I looked online but their just isn't real great resources out there and I would love to try it. I figured I could have a pair of minis do it, in place of a reg. sized pony. Anyone with experience at mowing lawns with horses?

Umm.....sort of. We have a small fenced in front yard that's about 20 x 50 (?) We've allowed a few of our minis or ponies on the grass there for short periods of time. The yard is gated and cross fenced up against one of our pastures, so it's easy to let them through every now and then.

We also have a small fenced in and gated back yard with an island of lawn. Occasionally we have pulled a mini or pony from our herd and allowed them to graze. Usually it's to specifically keep an eye on them for some reason....because the back yard is right off of the kitchen, and parts of it can be seen from our bedroom as well.

The only caution with doing this is in regard to fertilizing your lawn. Please be sure to water in the fertilizer and allow a few days to pass before an animals is exposed to grazing on it.......This goes with pastures as well. We tend to wait well beyond what is usually recommended.

Have to admit, though, when we have the little ones up close like that, we get A LOT of traffic slowing to gawk. LOL.

Sorry maybe I wasnt real clear, I am looking for info on a mower pulled by horses, I know they have them, but normally pulled by a pony but thought if I had a team I would be ok.There is just not much info online about mowing lawns with horses, let alone with mini's.

Because of fertilizers and founder etc...I dont tend to let my mini's out on lawns.

Umm.....sort of. We have a small fenced in front yard that's about 20 x 50 (?) We've allowed a few of our minis or ponies on the grass there for short periods of time. The yard is gated and cross fenced up against one of our pastures, so it's easy to let them through every now and then.
We also have a small fenced in and gated back yard with an island of lawn. Occasionally we have pulled a mini or pony from our herd and allowed them to graze. Usually it's to specifically keep an eye on them for some reason....because the back yard is right off of the kitchen, and parts of it can be seen from our bedroom as well.

The only caution with doing this is in regard to fertilizing your lawn. Please be sure to water in the fertilizer and allow a few days to pass before an animals is exposed to grazing on it.......This goes with pastures as well. We tend to wait well beyond what is usually recommended.

Have to admit, though, when we have the little ones up close like that, we get A LOT of traffic slowing to gawk. LOL.

I converted a 60" swisher mower that I use to mow with, pictures on our web page, bryantsminiatures.com, it works great but you need a well broke team. Make sure you hold a tight line when you first kick it in gear. We also spread manure with a small spreader and forcart. Hal Bryant

To bad my bro just JUNKED a bunch of horse drawn equipment (told him not to but.....)

it was all equipment that was my grandpa's

some were small enough for ponies since he had also had welshes

dawn

Sorry maybe I wasnt real clear, I am looking for info on a mower pulled by horses, I know they have them, but normally pulled by a pony but thought if I had a team I would be ok.There is just not much info online about mowing lawns with horses, let alone with mini's. Because of fertilizers and founder etc...I dont tend to let my mini's out on lawns.

Thank you Bryant miniatures, wonderful info, this is more what I am looking for. I am not real mechanical or great with converting stuff etc when it comes to equipment, can you give me more specifics of what you have and what you have done to it to make it work for you. Thank you so much! Its nice to meet someone who lives in the draft world with the mini's-here I thought I was the only crazy one to think you could use minis for what I use my drafts for. (taking consideration to their size per job and all)

Latest posts

Back