Moving to Maryland from Texas

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcody

Reaction score
I am originally from Mass., so not to upset about the move, though not actually looking forward to moving. My husband is being transfered to Pax River in Maryland. So, we are moving from Texas to Maryland.

My kids are 8 (boy) and 6 (girl). A good school system is top priority, but I also do not want a long commute for my husband. How are the schools in Leonardtown? From what I can find, they seem to be one of the best in the area. Is that far, commute wise, to Pax river?

Unfortunatly, it looks like the timing is going to be in the middle of the school year, any tips on helping the kids? My daughter has been doing tap, ballet and jaz for going on three years, my son is into martial arts, skateboards and his ripstick.

OK. leaving Texas, so I doubt we will be able to find a house with land that we can afford, how is boarding for horses? What are the prices and facilities like? For homes, are there large lots, at least an acre, or are they hard to find?

So much to think about, so much to do. My husband has been to the area many times. I have not been out of Texas for 7 years. We will be making a few trips there, the first one hopefully, soon.

Any help with the area, and with the move would be greatly appreciated.

Hello!

Pax River is maybe 20-25 minutes from me (I work in that area) however, Leonardtown is only a few minutes away. It's a smaller town that houses a small Amish community, though it also consists of a lot of diveristy - from populated, to farming and the 'old' town of Leonardtown is a small 'May Berry" type community.

I attended Oakville Elem. school and it was great! However, I've always heard that Leonardtown was better..

Activities -- music, dancing, martial arts, horseback riding, water sports, etc. are located all over the place.

The price of living is expensive. Houses are ridiculous and houses with land are almost untouchable unless you're fortunate to come across a great buy. I've lived here for 18 years (previously lived in northern, MD) and we were just getting a Walmart. Now it's a Super Walmart and the farm land is going away and they are cramming houses and shopping centers anywhere they can fit.

I boarded a horse at a 'public' barn a couple years ago and it was $250 / month and I provided hay, grain, vet/farrier.

Let me know if you have any more questions or if I can be of any help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the information, I feel a little better. How are vets and doctors in the area? I need to find a good dentist for the kids, my son is going to need an orthodontist. My husband needs a cardiologist. I have a great peditrician here and vet for the dogs. Now I will need to find a new one, Ugh!

Are there decent hospitals in the area? I ask because the hospital that is closest to me out here is HORRILE!

I am sure I will have a ton of questions, I hope you don't mind. We hope to make a trip there soon, before the kids start school in August.

Thanks again!

Welcome to Maryland! I work in the PaxRiver area as well as a Defense Contractor. We have 100+ acres in Charles County although we grew up in adjacent St Mary's county (Leonardtown & Pax River is located in St Mary's county). I commute every day from Charles county as lots of folks do.

Boss Mare is correct in her statements - we're so close to Washington DC that it pretty much diictates the prices. Although I do think smaller farmettes are somewhat easier to find (5-15 acres) and it's still so rural down here that you can have horses pretty much anywhere. Our lot prices have dropped almost half with the current economy so now is a good time to be looking really. I'm not sure about St Mary's but Charles has a 3-acre minimum building lot rule (if you're not in an actual development where you can pass the butter between windows). You can certainly have a couple minis on 3 acres. LOL

Plenty of places offer boarding and you can get some idea of costs by checking our local classifieds at www.somd.com

They update pretty regularly. The hardcopy paper "the Enterprise" comes out every Wednesday and Friday. You can view the paper online too at www.somdnews.com Actually, this 2nd site features all three papers from St Mary's, Charles and Calvert counties (commonly referred to as "Southern Maryland") - all very convenient commutes to PaxRiver.

Plenty of sports and activities for kids in the Southern Maryland area - those papers will give you tons of info on that as well.

Our schools have come a long way over the years and there are also private schools here too. You most likely already have the website for Board of Education but here they are in case:

http://www.smcps.k12.md.us/

http://www.smcps.k12.md.us/ (st marys county)

http://www2.ccboe.com/ (charles county)

http://www.calvertnet.k12.md.us/ (calvert county)

Southern Maryland is definitely growing with all the modern conveniences that "city slickers" want to see - - but we still are pretty rural and agriculture is promoted pretty heavily. We've put our farm in the Ag Preservation program to sell development rights - to keep it as a farm and not develop (once we cut off the 5 lots we wanted first).

4H is still big down here and tons of 4H clubs in all three counties can be found at http://www.maryland4h.org/ .

There's a website/program in Maryland called "Maryland So Good" and they feature all the farms and services from an agricultural standpoint - including a directory - you can find "horse boarding" or any livestock services in this directory - the website is http://www.somarylandsogood.com/

All three counties have huge hospitals. You can google them. Actually all three have been totally revamped/remodeled.

You'll find Amish in Charles County and Northern St Mary's counties. The Mennonites make up the Loveville/Leonardtown area - somewhat different than Amish but that's another topic. You'll find many trades between them both and most offer feed & tack stores for us livestock/horse folks. Much cheaper than regular feed & tack places.

While not Texas mind you - I think you'll like the area - and who wouldn't want to ride amidst the Amish buggies on the way to work and play? That's the best part! When they get run out and leave by the city growth - we'll go along with them! LOL

Again - welcome to Maryland - enjoying browsing the resources I provided and feel free to email me if you wish to discuss anything further
default_saludando.gif

Thanks for all the links! I am getting hopeful maybe we can afford a few acres! We have a great relocation package, so we will not lose any money on our house here, and it is such a good time to buy! OK, I am starting to get more excited then nervous, Thanks!

I am going to check out all the links you sent, and I am sure I will be back with more questions.

You're most welcome.

I forgot about one site for house hunting ...... www.realtor.com

and you can search by zip code.......

here are a few zips to get you started:

20650 Leonardtown

20636 Hollywood

20659 Mechanicsville

20622 Charlotte Hall

Laplata 20646

There are tons of other zips and I'm sure if you google zipcodes for either of the three counties, it'll give you a list for cities within that county. You can put in specs in the advance search for acreage (i.e., minimum 3 or 5 acres to no max).

Last edited by a moderator:
Out of curiosity - I searched 5 acre minimum in Leonardtown and came up with 10.9 acres with house, fenced and cross fenced and very nice barns & run-ins for $469,900. they have tons of pictures. Here's the link: http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-...0650_1111308313

Even has an above ground pool and hot tub -

l19383d42-m0m.jpg
l19383d42-m1m.jpg
l19383d42-m2m.jpg
l19383d42-m3m.jpg
l19383d42-m8x.jpg
l19383d42-m7x.jpg
l19383d42-m4x.jpg

<H1 class=hsLDPrw1>[SIZE=14pt]44681 Richey Rd [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]Leonardtown, MD 20650[/SIZE]</H1>$469,900 Loading Payment...|3 Bed, 2.5 Bath | 2,198 Sq Ft on 10.79 Acres |

[SIZE=8pt]MLS ID #SM7120367[/SIZE]

| [SIZE=8pt]Refreshed 9 minutes ago[/SIZE] Request More Details

Property Information for 44681 Richey Rd

Save Listing

[SIZE=10pt]Property Features[/SIZE]

• Single Family Property
  • County: SAINT MARYS
  • Subdivision: ELLEN HEWITT SUBD
  • Year Built: 1998
  • 3 total bedroom(s)
  • 2.5 total bath(s)
  • 2 total full bath(s)
  • 1 total half bath(s)
  • Approximately 2198 sq. ft.
  • Two story
  • Type: Detached home, Fee simple
  • Style: Colonial
  • Master bedroom
  • Dining room
  • Family room
  • Kitchen
  • Bathroom(s) on main floor
  • Hardwood floors
  • Horse facilities
  • Swimming pool(s)
  • Spa/hot tub(s)
  • 2 car garage
  • Attached parking
  • Heating features: Bottled Gas/Propane, Electric, Heat Pump(s)
  • Cooling features: Ceiling Fan(s), Electric, Heat Pump(s)
  • Exterior construction: Vinyl siding
  • Lot is 470012 sq. ft.
  • Approximately 10.78 acre(s)
  • Lot size is between 10 and 20 acres
Interior FeaturesCeiling fan(s), Clothes dryer, Clothes washer, Dishwasher, Foyer, Full master bathroom, Ice maker, Pull-down attic access, Refrigerator, Separate dining room, Separate shower in master bathroom, Separate tub in master bathroom, Stove, Wall to wall carpeting, Washer/dryer hookups, Breakfast area/room, Foyer, Bedroom(s) on upper level(s), Bathroom(s) on upper level(s), Family room on main level Exterior FeaturesAbove ground pool, Automatic garage door, Deck, Outdoor spa/hot tub, Satellite dish, Septic system, Stable(s), Storage shed, Well(s), Above grade is 2198 sq. ft. Listing InformationRefreshed at 11:26 AM PT (9 minutes ago)Added on Jul 28, 2009 (2 days ago) To access this page directly, usehttp://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/44681-Richey-Rd_Leonardtown_MD_20650_1111308313

Neighborhood Information for 44681 Richey Rd

ldpmapmarker.png
[SIZE=12pt]Schools Near 44681 Richey Rd[/SIZE]School NameDistanceTypeGradesGreatSchools RatingParent RatingThe Kings Christian Academy2.3 miPrivateK - 12White Oak Secondary Center3 miPublic7 - 12Piney Point Elementary School3 miPublicK - 5Chesapeake Public Charter School3.2 miPublicK - 5Great Mills High School3.6 miPublic9 - 12

Proximity to listed schools and their school district(s) does not guarantee enrollment eligibility. Please contact a local real estate professional or the local school district(s) for the most current information relating to schools in the area. Sources: GreatSchools.net and Onboard Informatics © 2008 http://www.realtor.com/search/topproducer....imary_address=1

Contact Information for 44681 RICHEY RD

• <LI class=selected id=liAskQuestion title=active><A href="
http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/44681-Richey-Rd_Leonardtown_MD_20650_1111308313#AskQuestion">Ask a Question <LI id=liRequestShow>Request More Details Send to a Friend Send My Question To CARLA NORRIS (Agent) CENTURY 21 New Millennium (Broker) Buyer Agent Buyer Broker My First NameMy Last Name
clear.gif
clear.gif
My Email

I like that place! I am excited to get started with the process, but a little nervous for the kids moving. Thanks for all your help!

I am originally from Mass., so not to upset about the move, though not actually looking forward to moving. My husband is being transfered to Pax River in Maryland. So, we are moving from Texas to Maryland.
My kids are 8 (boy) and 6 (girl). A good school system is top priority, but I also do not want a long commute for my husband. How are the schools in Leonardtown? From what I can find, they seem to be one of the best in the area. Is that far, commute wise, to Pax river?

Unfortunatly, it looks like the timing is going to be in the middle of the school year, any tips on helping the kids? My daughter has been doing tap, ballet and jaz for going on three years, my son is into martial arts, skateboards and his ripstick.

OK. leaving Texas, so I doubt we will be able to find a house with land that we can afford, how is boarding for horses? What are the prices and facilities like? For homes, are there large lots, at least an acre, or are they hard to find?

So much to think about, so much to do. My husband has been to the area many times. I have not been out of Texas for 7 years. We will be making a few trips there, the first one hopefully, soon.

I went to the schools in Leonardtown. They were pretty good. Granted this was a number of years ago, but I'm sure that it couldn't have gotten bad. There's a road that goes behind the middle school. There is a nice horse farm down there called A Moment in Time. That's where I learned to ride. Lots of horses, 3 large arenas, and lots of fun events. Last I knew Bobby was still doing boarding.

I attended Oakville Elem. school and it was great! However, I've always heard that Leonardtown was better..
I went to Oakville Elementry too. Mind if I ask what years you attended? Lived down on Holly Lane off of Sandgates Road.

I went to the schools in Leonardtown. They were pretty good. Granted this was a number of years ago, but I'm sure that it couldn't have gotten bad. There's a road that goes behind the middle school. There is a nice horse farm down there called A Moment in Time. That's where I learned to ride. Lots of horses, 3 large arenas, and lots of fun events. Last I knew Bobby was still doing boarding.

I went to Oakville Elementry too. Mind if I ask what years you attended? Lived down on Holly Lane off of Sandgates Road.

I attended Oakville from '93 to '99, I believe..
default_wacko.png
I was trying to do the math, anyway I am 22 years old.

I also rode with Bobby for a short time, but had shown horses there for years!!

I started another topic, but thought I would ask you guys here. It seems the more I research schools, the more mixed information I get. What schools in the Leonartown area would you consider to be good? Mechanicville (I am sure I misspelled that) comes out looking pretty good also. HELP! We are going to try to go up there to house hunt in a few weeks, I would like to know where to look. When we moved to Texas my son was 18 months old and my daughter in my tummy, there was not the urgency. I do not want to have to move to another town after we got there, poor kids are having a tough time with leaving there school as it is.

bcody, you need to go here! www.city-data.com Click on Maryland. You will be up all night getting information! There are message boards to talk to people in the area and all.

Hello! You have a lot of great info here, I posted a short note on your other post. ~ Best wishes!

That is a great site, thank you! Well, all the paper work is signed and it is official. Time to get busy!

Back