Moving to Buckeye, AZ

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DunPainted

Reaction score
My son and I will be moving to Buckeye, Arizona this summer --- (we're making a "scouting" trip for homes on Wednesday, for one week). This past winter really "did us in" AND we're still waiting for spring to arrive, here in NE Wisconsin. Blazing hot summers of Phoenix sound good right now.

Sadly, with this life change, we've had to find homes for our horses, with the exception of two, which will be cared for by my dear friend. Perhaps this is a pipe dream, but I'm hoping to find a home with property to accommodate the two mares (or at least one). In the meantime, I'm wondering if there are any "mini folks" in the Buckeye area with whom I can connect -- thereby getting my horsey fix?

If someone would be interested, I'd sure like to hear from you (either PM me directly..... or post here).

Thanks a million!

default_saludando.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW you're in for quite a change! You may not be so hot on the hot summers once you get here haha ;) 106 Monday, and only going to get hotter! But you sure can't beat our winters
default_smile.png

I live in New River, which is about an hour from Buckeye. There is a nice new equestrian center in Buckeye, so lots of shows ect go on. Sadly there aren't many mini shows here in Az. In the spring we have our big AMHA show, Touch Of Class, in Scottsdale. Sometimes there will be a second, smaller AMHA show, and sometimes a couple AMHR shows. There is a driving club, ADCS, that has a LOT of mini participation in, it's so much fun
default_smile.png
Right around Halloween up in Chino Valley (near Prescott) there is a fun mini/pony show that I always LOVE
default_smile.png

Az horse prop is pretty pricey, but Buckeye is more affordable than Phx, so you should be able to find 1/2 acre or an acre for your couple minis, depending on your price range.

There is a GREAT monthly magazine called Bridle and Bit, and they have a website www.bridleandbit.com and there is a real estate section as well. In it there is a LOT of info on all the horsey happenings in Az, stores, classifieds, ect. You can pick it up at any feed store for free (they usually run out though, they come out in the beginning of the month).

Let me know if I can be any help to you. Probably best to email me as I don't get on the forum for a few days sometimes. cheyaut @ yahoo.com (minus the spaces)

Jessi

wow , that was a really nice post with a lot of helpful suggestions. I miss that about Americans , we are so open , warm and friendly. Does anyone want to move to Switzerland? I need a horsey friend, I will even board your mini for free, just to have a friend . We even have a very cute apartment that overlooks the field, we have church bells ,cow bells, goats that live next door, and sheep up the road. Its also just a dream of mine ...but does anyone have dual citizenship, and is interested in living in Switzerland ? Must love horses
default_biggrin.png
have a look

www.kistenpass.com

My parents live in NW Phoenix and I will be there for most of next year. My hubby will be deployed and I will be with my family while he is gone. I will have my mini there with me. The Bridle and Bit is a great resource, I still go on the website to jsut check out things back home. The biggest thing you will have to get used to if you do take the horses is no pasture. It will be hay or pellets for you and hay out there last I checked was almost $17 for a 50-80lb square bale. You won't find round bales there either. I didn't even know what a round bale was til I moved to TN. They have a big mini show each year as Chey said. That was my first taste of mini's back when I was like 8. Since then I was in love and up until I was 24 I couldn't fulfil the dream.

Get ready for a lot of traffic, heat and taking a lot of time to get used to the congestion. When I moved from Phoenix to a small town in East TN it was a HUGE culture shock. I can only imagine the overwhelming feeling going backwards. I have a friend that lives in Tolleson that has mini's she is near Buckeye. I haven't talked to her in a bit but I can shoot her an e-mail for info on that area for ya if ya want. Just PM me if you need anything.

I live about 100 miles to the south, just north of Tucson. There are a lot of mini owners around the state and I agree the Touch of Class is a fantastic show.

Jessie gave you some great ideas! Happy house hunting and Welcome to Arizona! It will be hot in the summer but the trade off is our beautiful nights and

great winters and of course AIR CONDITIONING!!
default_laugh.png

Am just north of the Phoenix valley too, out near CheyAut. You will find lots of Mini owners out here.

But, I must say I would NOT want to move here in the summer. Too bad you could not have come in the fall and 'eased into it' or in the early spring.... You will be coming at 'blast furnace' time. Sorry!

Most of us here have dry lots, unless you are lucky to have irrigation, which makes the heat 10 times worse because of the humidity!

Hey!! Just sold 2 mares to someone that's in Waddell - about 25 miles from where you will be !! And one is a grulla daughter of your first love, old Vegas. If you want contact info - let me know. And while you are there, maybe you can help take care of some "unfinished business" (totally NOT horse related !!) for me. Give me a call!! The story is a doozie!!

I moved out of the area 3 years ago, but there is a lady south of Phoenix area with a website www supergentlehorses.com that I bought 3 saddle horses from. She did have miniatures and sells some before we moved. Sherie is very honest and sweet. I haven't checked her website in a long time, hope she is still there and you could give her a shout out. She has a lot of information on horse events in the area. Also there are mini owners in Oracle just north of Ginnie, they use their minis for therapy, parades and lots of other things. Good luck on the move, Glendale has many horse related events also.

Becky

Smiling and waving to you from down Benson way! We welcome you to Arizona!

We are about three hours south east of Phoenix down I-10, but make trips up to the Phoenix area pretty often. We’re either up there visiting, dropping off or picking up horses or showing our miniatures at the Touch of Class Show that is held every spring in Scottsdale.

Jessi knows the ins and outs of your area and made some wonderful suggestions.

If you’re interested in seeing miniature show horses (of the spotted kind) you are welcome to visit some of ours. This year they are located with Austin Van Wyck of Victory Lane Training Center (north Phoenix off of Carefree Hwy). If you are interested in taking a day trip you are welcome to come down and visit us where it averages about 10 to 12 degrees cooler then the Phoenix area.

I wish you the very best and hope you find everything you are looking for in the Buckeye area.

Awwww Krissy3, you sound so lonely. My granddad (on my moms side) was born in Switzerland and I would love to visit there sometime. I'll be your friend!

Dawn
default_saludando.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
wow , that was a really nice post with a lot of helpful suggestions. I miss that about Americans , we are so open , warm and friendly. Does anyone want to move to Switzerland? I need a horsey friend, I will even board your mini for free, just to have a friend . We even have a very cute apartment that overlooks the field, we have church bells ,cow bells, goats that live next door, and sheep up the road. Its also just a dream of mine ...but does anyone have dual citizenship, and is interested in living in Switzerland ? Must love horses
default_biggrin.png
have a lookwww.kistenpass.com

Ummm, like, yeah!
default_biggrin.png
If I wasn't attached and didn't have any responsibilties here, Id be there in a heartbeat. My stepmonster lived there for 15 years and wishes she were still there.

Latest posts

Back