Update from Iowa

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tremor

Reaction score
I haven't post much in the past couple months. Been working and senior year has started, lol.

I had my senior pictures taken a month or so ago and I had a couple taken with my soon-to-be three year old gelding, Pete. (Omg it is scary to be saying that. Almost THREE years?)

Here's my favorite two:

538816_360547580698457_881410224_n.jpg

225989_360547684031780_761664749_n.jpg

Everybody in the herd is doing well. Can't complain about anything. I am hoping to put some work on a couple of them in the spring/summer. I'd love to start training Pete and his dam Bow how to drive. I may resort to sending them off to a trainer though. I'd hate to mess them up.

Bow:

384027_363655620387653_744809527_n.jpg

Connor (Do you see her?! lol)

183476_363656863720862_1848474818_n.jpg

The baby of the herd, Finale, my coming two year old. (Omigosh)

375799_363657440387471_92820772_n.jpg

School is fine. Like I said I'm a senior. Pictures are done and senior cap and gowns have been ordered. I've applied to Kirkwood Community College in Cedar Rapids, Iowa and I'm planning on taking Mangement classes online so that I can stay home and work at our local grocery store. After two years I'm either planning on becoming a full time employee or I'll go to a farrier trade school in Missouri. Haven't yet decided, lol.

I don't have anything set in stone yet. I'm content with working at my current job (about 30 hours a week at $8.25 an hour) and I love it. I am hoping to add another pony to the herd in a couple years and I am hoping to get another dog; a viszla male. We used to own a viszla until she died of cancer. I'm hoping to get a male puppy, neuter him, and maybe train him to hunt. That's the majority of my wants and dreams right now.

I've contemplated selling a couple minis but I just can't bear it. I hate selling horses. All of the other horses I've sold I would buy back in a minute. Nobody is in any danger or anything living with me. I love them, I really do. There are times when I think I could live without them but they are truly the only things I understand. I have recently discovered that I don't understand people in general and I realized that the only things I do understand are my horses. I've spent so much time with them that I understand nearly everything about them. They seem to understand me too. People just suck. I don't understand men, women, co-workers, myself, friends, etc. People are so cryptic.

My miniatures aren't million dollars horses. They'd get laughed out of the ring, at any AMHA/AMHR sanctioned show. They're kinda fugly but somehow you can find that beautiful thing inside of them. They're really smart, good at giving hugs and kisses, and are a whole lot nicer than any humans I know. They're family and it would seriously hurt to see any of them go.

I currently trim their hooves now but in July 2013 I'll be having a farrier out for the first time. (Father won't allow it. July 2013 I turn 18 and therefor its my ultimate decision.) I have contemplated moving to Missouri but my vet has said I could easily start up business here because we need more competent farriers in the area.

Honestly, nothing exciting is happening. Life is content.

Just found this picture of Pete, the gelding in my senior pictures.

399690_366219513464597_302792960_n.jpg

Isn't that the scariest thing? Its scary to look back at old pictures and realize just how fast time flew by. I can remember when he was born, playing with him as a baby, halter training him, his gelding procedure (fun! lol), him winning Reserve Grand Champion Pony last summer, him beating a snotty girl with a winning QH in showmanship after THREE days of learning how to pivot this summer, and of course our senior pictures.

Gosh time flies by. I wonder if that's how my mom feels when she looks at my baby pictures?

Cute pictures ! You love your minis and that's all that matters. I know what you mean about them being part of the family
default_yes.gif

I love your pictures also. Glad to hear you may be a farrier, always a shortage of good ones, especially those that will tolerate the mini-tude. Horses are family!

I love your pictures also. Glad to hear you may be a farrier, always a shortage of good ones, especially those that will tolerate the mini-tude. Horses are family!
Thanks! I really do like trimming hooves. Its hard stuff and is hard on the body. Most of the time I have sit on the ground and trim their hooves. I can't say that I'd do that for anybody else's minis! Mine are used to me however. lol.

Cute pictures ! You love your minis and that's all that matters. I know what you mean about them being part of the family
default_yes.gif
I must admit that there are times that I've wanted to just throw the towel in. I think we all have those low moments in life though. They're my babies though.
default_wub.png

EDIT: Not for much longer though! I most of my youngsters are adults now! Next year I'll have a six year old, 3 three year olds, and a two year old! They're growing up!

Last edited by a moderator:
I had to post a couple more pictures. Bear with me!

Like I said in my OP, I trim our own horses hooves. What I've been working on has been taking down the LONG heels that we've had in our herd. It sounds really dumb but I've never actually noticed it until I began taking pictures of their hooves.

Here's a picture from August 7th

405307_344499215636627_866206920_n.jpg

Here's a picture of my mare Bow September 2nd. Look at her hooves and notice the length. SUPER long

539505_353358884750660_426195186_n.jpg

And here she was last night, October 7th.

277355_366662596753622_415094684_o.jpg

Do realize that I couldn't just hack away at her heel in June/August when I noticed her heels. No. I would rather not have a lame mare. ;) I opted to take things slow and go little-by-little. I don't have before or afters from yesterday's trim. I wish I did but I wasn't worried about them. I have to go back over the trims this weekend or whenever I have time and make em' all purty. She has some flaring that needs taking care of and I need to modify her hinds because she tends to angle them outwards; therefore they wear unevenly. I need to take care of that. You can see it in her hind hoof facing the camera.

She's doing good though.

Proud mommy moment, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back