Mortality Rate For Maiden Mares???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clpclop

Reaction score
I suppose I read to much and am now terrified from hearing about all the foal losses. My two maiden mares are due any time now and I was wondering in the experience of this forum, what the mortality rate is for maidens? This is my first experience in breeding and am hoping it's not going to be a sad one. Any encouraging words out there would help!

My first two mares were maiden too! I was just as worried as you, if not more. They both foaled like pros. I had someone here with me for the first one, they said she had it quicker than they had ever seen. If you are experienced in foaling, it shouldn't be a problem, I wasn't. But, you never know, anything could still happen. Don't worry, mother nature will take care of them.

[SIZE=14pt]Foal loss isnt any higher in maidens than experienced mares in my personal experience. With minis I believe that our mortality rate is higher anyway than larger breeds.[/SIZE]

Lyn

Never had any problems w/my maidens, though I would be there anyway, and make sure the new baby is welcomed and allowed to nurse (a couple of my girls have been not so convinced that they should let this "thing" nurse right off the bat, but they warmed up in most cases).

Don't overstress yourself with the what ifs, just read read and read some more then make sure you are there with them and have a good contact for help if you need it.

Liz M.

clpclop, I know what you mean, my maiden had her first foal last year.

Last year was the first time having a mare foal at my place and I wasn't so much panicked or apprehensive as I am this year, I have two to foal. Last year I was more excited, happy go lucky attitude, if you know what I mean. I read many times on this forum member's losses but I guess it never hit me that it could happen to me too, I guess I had my head in the clouds and then it happened unfortunately. No matter how prepared you may be sometimes things just happen and it's not in your control. Of course sometimes you can control the situation but perhaps only to a certain degree. I am not saying this to put a downer on anyone here but I think I am much better prepared this year because of what happened to me last year. Many times people have said here that "breeding is not for the faint of heart" and they are right. I went into this with rose colored glasses, thinking "oh it will never happen to me".... not a realistic way to look at things. The only thing you can do is be as much prepared as you can be, that is all you can do and the rest is in mother nature's hands I am afraid. Sometimes we just can't change the outcome.

This year I have two mares, neither maiden, but both have lost foals at birth due to the foal not getting out of the sac. I am going to be armed with so much technology this time, barn cam, audio monitor, foal alert system, that if something goes wrong I won't be beating myself up like I did last time.

Hugs to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really agree with LYN.I have had maiden mares just pop out a baby and old seasoned mares who had to be put down because the baby was twisted and would not come out.We bred big horses and only lost 1 foal in almost 8 years and that was because the mare was starved when she came home from the breeding facility.Now I lose at least 1 baby every year(either aborted early or some other problem)I thought this was going to be my lucky year, but we lost a black&white filly in late january that wasn't due until April 13.good luck and just keep your eye on mom, but with all that heavy inbreeding don't be surprised if you get a dwarf or a deformed baby.I am told some of the old timers purposely did heavy inbreeding to get the size down and also used dwarf stallions to reduce size.Keep us posted..

I had my first maiden foal this year. She did very well, but wasn't sure why this baby was there. She seemed a bit surprised at him at first. But she soon realized how it all was supposed to work and is a good momma.

We had our first maiden of this year foal out by herself while I was on the phone talking about watching mares yesterday! She did fine on her own, but seemed a bit confused on who this litte stranger was with her. We did milk her - something she thought was totally inappropriate and let us know - she has been every time we touch her udders she screams like she's been knifed! We cleaned up baby, double blanketed and fed her colostrum, and repeated in 2 hours. We haven't taken photo's yet, but will post some later today.

By the time baby was 4 hours old Deva was fine and letting her nurse on her own. She also was talking to the baby, something she didn't do when it was first born. Baby would call and she would look at it with no real concept, as she would just walk away.

The only 'problem' we've had with maidens was foaling out for another breeder. Her two maidens were to small internally (birth canal bone structure and both bred at 2 years) to deliver the foals. Both were put down, even after hours of work by a repro team to delivery foals including cutting up the fetus. I do look at mares with narrow hips, and would have a vet palapate before breeding to see if it's feasible for the mare to foal out.

We do try to have all our maidens watch experienced mares foal out, and have them in to watch mares care for their babies - we do take extreme caution that it's compatible horses, experience dams, etc - I've witnessed a kick fight between two mares my second foaling season over a baby - not pretty!

It is touching to watch the first baby or two of the season when it first goes out - all our other mares will run over and line up along the fence to watch, as the new mom parades her baby around.

Foaling isn't for the faint of heart. It is serious regardless of maiden or experienced mare, with the maidens you just have more after care while they learn, IMHO!

I can understand your nervousness about having maiden mares due. Last year, I was a nervous wreck because it had been several years since we'd had a maiden foal.

Frankly, all you can do is be prepared. Do whatever you can to be present for the birth ( which is what one should do anyway ) and be prepared for the possibiltiy of lack of milk and/or rejection. Yes, this doesn't always happen, but with a maiden it can.

Don't want to add to your nervousness, but depending on the size of your maiden -- in the pelvic area -- she may also be a little narrow (not stretched out) and need some assistance with the foal, even if the foal is in the perfect foaling position.....Things may be so tight that it will help her if you help. Just remember to work with her contractions and to pull "downward", and not straight out.

BTW, our maidens last year? Foaled out like old pros! I ended up spending a lot of unnessecary fretting over both of them!
default_rolleyes.gif
:

MA

I had two maidens foal last year like old pros. Two old hands had trouble and we lost one of the foals. From my percentages, it doesn't seem like it matters one way or the other. I find myself really watching the two maiden mares I have for this year, even with the good luck the two last year had. I just hate that I have no records to check on their development prior to birth. My journal records are my constant companion this time of year. I just hate flying blind!

I have a 29 inch maiden 5yr old mare due this year around september, do the under 30inch mares usually have more problems?

This is her in show condition

jaffashow.jpg

and a recent one

jaffatrotting.jpg

I have 3 maiden mares due, which is
default_wacko.png
:
default_wacko.png
: long story but I am not worried. Worry won't help and I think any mare at any time can have problems.

I know when I had babies, everyone said the second one would be easier, yeah right!! My second birth was awful and the other two were so much better, all 3 were big babies.

With horses the scary thing is that things can appear fine and then quickly go horribly wrong.

Of course, I hope for 3 healthy foals but my real concern is my mares. A bad dystocia is my worst nightmare but no amount of worry will help.

I have bought a camera and have read as much as I can and now I just pray all goes well.

I think I am fortunate, I have had 2 foals born here, pups, kittens and babies and never any real problems, other than pain :lol:

I hope all goes well for you!

Try not to worry save that energy for mare stare!!

Latest posts

Back