More Pinto Pattern Questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tobey

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm am going to be sending in a dna sample on my stallion. Please tell me if I have this correct:

There are only two tests to be done, the Tobiano and LWO.

Homozygous is the term used when the gene is present and will pass on the pattern to all foals.

Heterozygous means the gene is present, but will pass on the gene to a foal if paired to another pinto with the same gene type. If paired with a non pinto there is still a chance of producing a pinto but no guarentee??

LWO is a frame overo gene. Tovero is a type of overo gene (combination of Tobiano and Overo) but it is not LWO because it is not the frame gene?? So if I test for Tobiano and LWO and they both come back negative for those genes would he be a type of overo just not a frame? Or is it not possible to have both come back negative?
default_wacko.png
:

What are the other combinations (like splash)? Is there a link to look at the different combinations?

I know testing has to be done to know for sure because sometimes the patterns are hidden. I want to test for both types so do I need to send in two sets of mane hairs or can they use one set for both tests?

Thanks so much, I'm a little confused!!

Hi Tobey :saludando:

I know what you mean about confusion! Here I thought I had it pretty much figured out!lol! :lol:

As far as your question goes. I think it is possible for both test to come back negative. :eek: There is also Sabino thrown in the mix of Coat Patterns :bgrin . Oh and I believe you have to send in two different samples, but I could be wrong.
default_unsure.png
: But, I would send in two anyway just because I think its safer that way. :bgrin

The stallion in the above post confused me too because I thought he was a Tovero? :bgrin but I guess those wierd markings can come from Splash and Sabino, so I am so confused now
default_wacko.png
: !

Anyway, maybe some of the color experts did not see this post so I am bumping it up for you.

Jeri

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll try to answer your questions.

Homozygous is the term used when the gene is present and will pass on the pattern to all foals.
Homozygous is the term used when two copies of the gene are present and one copy will always be passed on to the foals by that parent.

Heterozygous means the gene is present, but will pass on the gene to a foal if paired to another pinto with the same gene type. If paired with a non pinto there is still a chance of producing a pinto but no guarentee??
Heterozygous means one copy of the gene is present and there is a 50% chance of passing it on.

LWO is a frame overo gene. Tovero is a type of overo gene (combination of Tobiano and Overo) but it is not LWO because it is not the frame gene?? So if I test for Tobiano and LWO and they both come back negative for those genes would he be a type of overo just not a frame? Or is it not possible to have both come back negative?
Right that LWO is frame overo. Tovero is a term used to describe tobiano plus one of the overo patterns (frame, splashed white or sabino) or any combination of patterns. At this time, there are only tests available for tobiano and LWO. There is a test coming out for sabino, but it will only test for one type of sabino as sabino is believed to be poygenic. Yes, it would be possible for a 'pinto' horse to test negative for tobiano and LWO. It would then be a splashed white or sabino or combination of the two.

You can use one set of hair (mane or tail) to test for all the patterns and colors you choose. Yes, there are websites that have pictures of the different patterns and combinations. You might check out this site http://www.equinecolor.com/.

Thanks so much!! I think I understand better
default_unsure.png
: :lol: I'm just like you Jeri--when I think I have it figured out I don't!

That link is very helpful. One more question--- can a horse carrying LWO have brown eyes? I suppose it can be a carrier??

Becky-I think I have a mare out of one of your stallions. Can I PM you and ask a few questions about his pattern?

Latest posts

Back