Splashed White Gene Results - PHOTOS!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joanne

Reaction score
Here are the first of many test results.

There are three additional blue eyed and two brown eyed horses that tested negative which I will post seperatly.These horses are Positive for SW-1, We had no SW-2 or SW-3 positives, so I will only be stating the SW-1 results.

*****************************************************************************************************************

Pacific Mad Hatter

Jet Black Frame Splashed White Tobiano Pinto Stallion, with Blue Eyes.

He was tested found to carry the Frame (LWO), and the Tobiano gene.

Results from UCD: Heterozygous Splashed White SW-1

hatter2.jpg

****************************************************************************************************************

Nostalgias Dirty Money (aka "Monet")

Black Sabino Splashed White Overo Pinto Stallion, with Blue Eyes. Homozygous for Black.

Monet was tested at Animal Genetics and is Sabino (sb1) positive, Frame (LWO) negative, and is Homozygous for Black.

monet2.jpg

***********************************************************************************************************************

Pacific Pizzazz

Bay Homozygous Tobiano Splashed White Pinto Stallion, with Blue Eyes.

He has been tested and is homozygous for the Tobiano pinto gene, and negative for the Frame (LWO) pinto gene.

pizzazz2.jpg

************************************************************************************************************************

Pacific Black Eyed Susan

Jet Black Frame Splashed White Tobiano Pinto, with Blue Eyes.

Susie has been tested and is positive for the Frame (LWO) gene, and is heterozygous for Tobiano pinto.

beyedsusan2.jpg

***************************************************************************************************************************

Fergies Kitty Hawk

Chocolate Silver Bay Splashed White Overo Pinto, with Blue Eyes.

She has tested negative for the frame (lwo) gene, and positive for the silver, and agouti (bay) gene.

Results from UCD: Homozygous Splashed White SW-1/SW-1

kitty2.jpg

This was our only HOMOZYGOUS Splashed White.

I was in contact with Glenn Simerly yesterday @ UCDavis and he said he'd run

Zoey's retained hairs, today, and I'd have the results, next week.

This is so interesting.

Zoe has wrap around white on her face and two crystal blue eyes. She tested

negative for LWO, 2 years ago @ UCDavis.

Zoe-Zita6-1-06framed.jpg

Gorgeous horses. The one horse who is homo for splash white looks a lot like my filly does who is neg for tobiano and LWO, so am wondering if she is homo for it too? Have to wait til tax return time to send in a test for her though.

Marsha

Wow amazing horses! As I just found out my splash paint mare is deaf, anyone here with these lovely colored critters have experience with that? I am really curious as they develop the testing for the splash gene if they will be able to find definitive links to the coat pattern with deafness?

Thank you so much for posting these, especially the homozygous SW1 horse. That was the one thing I most wanted to see. There are some Morgans with that same kind of pattern being tested, which we suspect are homozygous, so hopefully that will tell us more.

For me this was the best way to present it so we could all learn. I was only allowed to post one photo of each horse, when I first tried to post this with both sides of each horse I was not able to load it.

We also had five negative horses.Which I plan to post seperatly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great info.. Thanks again for sharing.. I was glad to see the homozygous SW1 horse as I was curious about that
default_smile.png

Thanks for posting results with pictures. What a great learning tool. I find this so interesting.

here are 3 I think I will test.

This filly has never been tested for anything.

FascinationMissOcalas2007filly-1.jpgMissyfilly-1.jpg

***********************************************************************************************************************************************

This stallion is tested for homozygous tobiano only.Ritz

07GO-001-01-1.jpgth_PasturepictureofRitz.jpg

**********************************************************************************************************************************************

This is a 3 yr mare not previously tested but out of both homoozygous parents.

th_Cnv0162.jpgth_CanterburyGypsyGueen.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Please post the results when you get them. We all have so much to learn!

Results are in for Zoey's Splash test, run this past Thursday @ UCDavis.

She had previously been tested by them, in 2009, as she had been registered

as a palomino as a youngster.

This is what we now know of her genetics.

Sv300168-1.jpg

Zoey_eye-1.jpg

Coat Color results for KNIGHTSTARS GOLDEN TREASURE:

Splashed White SW-1 Result:

N/SW1 - Horse has one copy of the SW-1 mutation.

Splashed White SW-2 Result:

N/N - No copies of SW-2 mutation.

Splashed White SW-3 Result:

N/N - No copies of SW-3 mutation.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Red-Factor Result:

e/e - Only the red factor detected. Basic color is sorrel or chestnut in the absence of other modifying genes.

Agouti Result:

a/a - Only recessive allele detected. Black pigment distributed uniformly. Basic color is black in the absence of other modifying genes.

Cream Result:

N/N - No evidence for the Cream dilution altered sequence detected. Basic color is sorrel or chestnut, bay or black in the absence of other modifying genes.

Silver Result:

N/N - No evidence of the altered sequence detected.

Overo Result:

N/N - No evidence for the altered sequence detected.

Nancy do you have full body photos both sides of this mare, like you might have for registration? I would love to see her leg markings as well.

Thanks.

The only leg white Zoey has appears on her left side (front and rear) with white hooves.

There is counter shading, at the coronet band on the right side, but the hooves are black.

Zoe6-6-07.jpg

Zoe20079mos3.jpg

Zoeeye.jpg

Latest posts

Back