Splashed White - Negative Test Results

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joanne

Reaction score
These are our five NEGATIVE reults for the Splashed White Test.

All ten horses tested were negative for SW-2 and SW-3. These have not been found in miniature horses so far and are believed to be lethal forms of SW.

Magic Mans Color Prints

Bay Frame Sabino Overo Pinto Stallion, with Blue Eyes. Homozygous for Black.

Color Prints was tested at UC Davis and found to be a Bay, Frame (LWO) pinto, Homozygous for Black, Sabino (SB1) gene. Negative for the Silver Gene at Animal Genetics.

Results from UCD: Negative for Splashed White SW-1

magicman12.jpg

Comment: Two blue eyes and bald face, maximum white frame sabino.

************************************************************************************************************************

Canterbury All That Jazz

Jet Black Homozygous Tobiano Pinto Stallion

Jazz was tested and was found to be homozygous for Tobiano.

jazz1.jpg

Comment: Brown Eyes, no facial markings.

*******************************************************************************************************************

Cross Country Blue Moon

Buckskin Homozygous Tobiano Stallion, with Blue Eyes.

Blue Moon tested Homozygous for the Tobiano Pinto gene, and negative for the Frame Overo (LWO) gene.

bluemoon1.jpg

Comment: Two Blue Eyes, Wide Blaze which drops onto lower lip.

********************************************************************************************************************

Rolling Hills Strawberry Shortcake

Chestnut Frame Overo Pinto

Strawberry has tested positive for the Frame (LWO) gene; and negative for the Sabino (sb1) gene.

strawberry1.jpg

Comment: Brown Eyes, Wide blaze that drops onto lower lip.

************************************************************************************************************************

Pacific Sparkling Jewels

Black Frame Sabino Tobiano Pinto, with blue eyes.

Homozygous for Black.

She has been tested and is positive for the Frame (LWO), Sabino (sb1), and Tobiano pinto genes. Homozygous for Black.

jewels1.jpg
jewels2.jpg

Comment: Blue Eyes.

*************************************************************************************************************************

The three blue eyed horses above might make you wonder about blue eyes being limited to just the splash white gene.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very interesting! Thanks for posting. I hope to be able to add our test results late next week.

Isn't there a SW-2 and SW-3 ?

And even if they test neg for Sabino (sb1) they could still be Sabino, in one of it's many other forms.

This is very interesting!

Reo-on the other thread, she said all of the SW-2 and 3 tests came back negative.

Thank you for sharing! Very interesting
default_smile.png

Oh ok. I didn't know this group of horses was within that group of horses
default_laugh.png

Reo's comment made me think... is there a way that we could put ALL the results for the new Splash test in the same thread?? Maybe a pinned one like we have for foals? I am already confused and can't remember if ANYONE had a positive for SW-2 or SW-3. I think that the test results, along with photos and any other test results, will be very helpful for anyone interested in pinto genetics.

Targetsmom-that's a great idea! Would love to have a pinned thread that everyone could post pictures and results as they have them done. I have yet to see a mini have a positive test result for SW-2 or 3, but I think I read somewhere that researchers weren't expecting many, if any.

For clarity, I would prefer to see all tested positive Splashed Whites together, and all negatives.

A seperate thread for each one. I think it would be easier to understand.

JMHO

IF Mary Lou says it's ok, I could pin threads you all start on the photo forum? Or where ever it's decided it should go?

It would be very interesting to be able to go one place to find the photos & results.

I guess what threw me on this thread was, while I knew it was going to be for tested neg Splashes, Joanne said neg for SW-1 but didn't mention SW-2 or

SW-3.

Couldn't a horse be pos for SW-2 or SW-3 without also being pos for SW-1?

Or should we just add our results to the threads Joanne started for positive and negative?? With photos and details as she provided.

If we do start such a thread, my suggestion would be that people NOT add pictures of UNTESTED horses that they plan to test or that remind them of or they want opinions of. That would be confusing.

Isn't there a SW-2 and SW-3 ?

And even if they test neg for Sabino (sb1) they could still be Sabino, in one of it's many other forms.

Yes, they could be Negative for SW-1 and still be positive for SW-2 or SW-3, HOWEVER at this time SW -2 and SW-3 have NOT been found in miniatures.

Not that they will not be, I am just saying at this point they are not known to be a factor in miniatures. So therefore I chose not to add them except to say all mine were negative.

I agree with Songcatcher, it would be best of the photos were limited to actually tested horses and their results for clarity purposes.
default_yes.gif

Thanks for sharing.. Very interesting to see the results...

Latest posts

Back