More newbie confusion and worry and unsure stuff....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrazyWestTexasFarmGirl

Reaction score
Here we go again..... sorry for being so dumb about all this.

So... input needed on if I should worry.... came home yesterday to Levi limping... seemed to be favoring left front and maybe left rear, we cleaned his left front hoof to check and make sure nothing like a rock or anything was in it. Nothing there... no swelling in the leg, joints etc... I had to have hubby hold him still to do it so probably threw all my hard work of him letting me pick up his feet and clean them... he flipped out when I tried to do the back... i decided to just let him be and watch him. He wasnt hobbling just favoring both a little. A little mopey and depressed acting and extra lovey dovey... Before that he has been tearing around leaping and bucking and being a crazy thing every day sooo maybe he was sore? ... Went out this morning and he trotted right up with no limp at all..... Of course now I am watching him like a hawk.....

#2 issue... halter breaking.... everyone helpfully told me what to do and I am still lost.... he WONT let us put the halter on... no amount of scritching or praising gentleness... I needed it on yesterday so I held him (luckily hes small enough I can hold him still. ) and put it on. I took it off later... but being easy and nice and slow isnt working with him.... do I just need to be matter of fact and walk up hold hime and put it on like i had to do yesterday until he is used to it? I want to start teaching him to lead and I dont want him to hate the halter! I was thinking of just catching him each day and putting the halter on him before we let him out to graze in the evening.... he is raring to get out ot graze so my thought is he would eventually realize he has to submit and have it on to get out to graze? Am I thinking right?

I dont want to ruin this little guy..... and I feel so inept... it seems so doable until I am out there trying to work with him....

Should I just be pushier?

Also... when he is playing zipping around like a crazy thing and jumping and kicking he zips past me bucking and "shows me his butt and the bottoms of his feet" as he goes by... he looks at me as he does it... is he being bad doing this or should I do anything about that? he makes eye contact and everything when he does it..... making me think he is intentionally being rude/testing his place in the "herd"

I need insight from the more experienced.....

Oh, goodness. I'm not sure I have any answers for you but I want to say that it's obvious your heart is in the right place! Sometimes the gentle scritchie approach is the right way to go and insisting on stuff is only going to scare them because they don't understand, but so often with little colts they truly are just being brats and the "put it on nonchalantly but firmly and then lead him somewhere he wants to go" approach is perfect. It's a fine line between being calming and patient and going "There there, nice horsie, it's okay!" when he's just pulling your leg; only you are there to judge which one is going on.

The bucking at you thing, yes, that's attitude. I'm also not sure there's much you can do about it on such a fast flyby!
default_laugh.png
When I'm working a young gelding or stallion who wants to pull that I just spend a lot of time when he's under my control moving him out of my space and reminding him who's the boss and the behavior usually slowly fades in the paddock. As adults they know they're allowed to buck and kick at liberty but not in my direction, ever. I just say "Aahhht!" sharply when they do once they know that's a correction and praise them/laugh with them when they do it in an acceptable manner and they learn what's expected. He's just a kid and you wouldn't expect a 5 or 6 year old human boy not to be cheeky when he's full of energy!

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:
As for the halter breaking, yes, I'd just be matter of fact about it. Hold him to get it on and he'll eventually learn it won't hurt him.

I applaud your search for answers and your willingness to learn!!!!

I am interested in what advice is given to you about handling young colts. My 4 month old colt also bucks in front of me. He does the same thing your Levi is doing. My boy is good with his halter and lead though.

Yes i agree, be quiet and firm and he will learn. It is a great idea to do it to take to the pasture as he will soon learn that the halter means going for grass.

Very wise comment from Hobbyhorse about his playfull behaviour, he is just being a kid a playing with you, just make sure he never touches or does it when you are leading him.

Enjoy your baby bc they grow up fast.

Renee

You know your not alone with the halta problems
default_no.gif
Im still struggling with my girl..Im gona get tough next week
default_laugh.png
maybe!!..she does the bucking and kicking ears back at me too on a fly-by running...she can be so loving 1 minute and a lil demon the next kids eh
default_rolleyes.gif
..good luck
default_smile.png

What do yall think of the limping issue? If hes not limping now? I dont want to be nervous nelly and drag the boy to the vet yet.....

Hi, the lameness issue sounds a little like founder. when you wrap your hand around the coronet band is it hot, or warm? Have you changed his feed recently or added sweet feed?

I had an issue with a full size horse bucking at me every time I let her out and it got dangerous so I had to resort to holding a lunge whip behind my back, then when she bucked at me she got a pop on the rump. It startled her so much she never did it again. I always use the kindest methods possible but when my health is at risk I up the pressure a bit.

I also am working on a halter fearful baby, when we feed his complete feed he has to reach through the nose piece of the halter to get the food. I'll do this for a few days then up the pressure by raising it, until I can buckle it with out a problem. It is the long slow method but takes away all the fight and he's making the choice to move forward so it up's his confidence.

Good luck to you!

Where in west Texas are you? It sounds like you could use some hands on help. There are lots of mini people here in Texas, perhaps if you list the town we can find someone near enough you to give you a hand.

I need to know more about your horse in order to help you - age, gelded or not, how long you've had him, whether or not he's weaned, etc. If he's new to you, what sort of living arrangement did he have before (pasture, etc).

In this drought, I think founder is unlikely. Did he have his feet trimmed recently?

Hopefully we can find some people to help you.

He is 5 months old.. just weaned and came to us. Been on some pasture(getting sparse here...) and getting alfalfa and some pelleted feed with a herd of 9 before he came here...

( I posted some other newbie posts recently- the not eating hay thread)

We picked him up Sunday morning..... no training before we got him other than me going out htere on the weekend and grooming and loving on him and had gotten to where I could put the halter on him and take it off and pick up his feet. I had been doing that since the begining of June. GOt him home and he wouldnt eat the hay..... but he was eating his pellets happily (Purina Mini Horse) twice a day and we have a small grassy area we let him out to graze on. He is now eating some of the hay, not as much as Id like but eating it....

Up until last night he was happilly careening around the place as fast ashe could bucking and playing and nipping the dog and stealing the bucket and being onery.... then when I got home yesterday he was limping...

There is no heat or swelling or anything in either foot or leg. I got home a bit ago and checked on him and hemmed him in a bit and took no poopoo from him and put the halter on with no struggle and then put the lead rope on and walked off towards the gate.. after a little tugging and acting crabby about it he walked towards the gate enough I could open it.... he stopped and thought about it and then followed me out the gate with me leading. Once on the grass I praised him and gave him scritches and took the lead rope off and walked away... he happily grazing now... maybe kinda stiff, but not really limping now. hes come to the gate looking for me a couple times... Im about to go hang out with him...

He needs his feet trimmed they are a little long not horrible yet... that will be getting taken care of soon. He had NOT been wormed before and we are picking up wormer and doing that this weekend.

I am located near Lubbock, I have big horse friends but no mini people.... just got done talking to my big horse friend too... shes going to try to come out and give me some pointers on ground work yay!

Sounds like you have got on top of it, just keep on as you are. Regarding the limping, I would keep a very close eye on it and do not hesitate to take him to the vet if you are worried- with foals things can flare up in a moment. You are right not to panic, but just watch it carefully.

With regards to the halter- a word of advice? PLEASE do not leave a halter on anything, let alone a foal- they can catch up on something so fast you would not believe it, and I have seen two very nice animals die form just such an accident. There is no such place as a "safe" paddock!

Well done - you are coping really well!

I agree with Jane - no headcollars to be left on anywhere, unless you are right there beside the animal concerned.

May I offer a possible reason for his limping/seeming a bit stiff? It could be the smaller pasture area you have been using. You say he has been zooming about like a mad thing (LOL!!). Well, together with his sightly long feet possibly causing a bit of a strain on his tendons/joints, it is not the best thing for a young chap to be making tight turns/skidding to a sliding stop when coming to a fence - too much strain on those joints. Suggest keeping out in the larger pasture from now on (or in as large an area that you can) and see if that helps.

Think we are due for a few more pics soon!
default_yes.gif

I learned a very safe and easy method for halter breaking that worked like a charm on my little monster last summer. Clinton Anderson is in Stephenville, TX, and he had a show on miniatures awhile back, he also made a club DVD and a DVD to sell, (many are offered on Ebay now) that showed how to train a foal and avoid any injuries from rearing which mini foals tend to do a lot when halter training. You use a soft 1/4 " rope to loop around the neck and butt, then use pressure to move their little feet a step at a time. I can't explain in a post but he explains it very well on the DVD's and you see all the things a little one will try. It is for any breed or size of foal. I've had relatives join the club for one month for $20, and get the benefit of reading and watching all of his DVD's and articles. There is a forum just for foals with lots of good advice from members. That club has a high standard of members, never any flaming, blaming, or ridicule. Lots of helpful, experienced, people of all walks of life, and a LOT of mini owners. It's worth one month. Good luck with your little one.

He isnt ever left out with the halter on alone I . We usually stay out there with him, the area he grazes in we usually drag chairs and drinks and hang out and enjoy being outside together... the boys trampoline and toys are out in a section of that area and he can play, Levi can graze and come visit us and get groomed while we all just relax... its been awesome.

Right now we are working with about a half acre area for his grazing area(that we have been fighting to keep nice and green and growing in this drought bleh) and a little smaller area than that is dry paddock that he stays in when we arent around. We have 3 acres we are working on fencing that will be his to run eventually, we are just being extra extra careful to keep him in a totally dog proof and coyote proof area, I lost all my chickens and ducks and turkeys and goats years ago to roaming dogs even with decent fence and am not taking any chances with him. His current area is pretty much double fenced lol, they will have to go through the chicken pens first to get into his paddock...

About the time we were ready to go in for the evening Levi was waiting at the barn door for me to get his nightly food and I shut the gate on his paddock walked over and he let me unbuckle the halter and give him lots of face scritches and then fed him. Hes moving better than the night before so I am not as worried... thinking its going to be keep a close eye on him. I am noticing he loves to pick things up and move them around and his Big rubber water bin seems to be relocating and getting played with, Im wondering if hes not tripping in/over it being a rascal playing with it...

I'm thinking he just pulled a muscle or something and you are right, just keep a watchful eye. Sounds like you're on the right track with haltering as well. Just want to add: When you hold him to do something (like put his halter on or check his feet), make sure he doesn't "get away". Keep holding him and touching and rubbing until he relaxes and you "release" him. Do this while you can still control him and touch him EVERYWHERE! Keep touching and rubbing every spot on his body until he relaxes and accepts it. If you can do this even a few times, for the rest of his life when you put your hands on him he'll know he is "caught". I was only able to control my big colt in this manner for the first three days of his life before he got too srtong, but at this point he is a 16H, 1200 pound beast and if I put my hand on his chest he'll freeze and stand perfectly still as if I've got my arms wrapped around him in a wrestling hug. I second the recommendation to get ahold of Clinton Anderson's colt training videos; great stuff.

The lameness thing could have something to do with his racing around like a looney. He might have hurt his back a bit. Obviously keep a close eye on him but if he's OK now I wouldn't worry too much.

I have worked with big horses for years, but am a newbie to minis, just like you. It's been interesting -- one scared mare and young stallion I got tended to lean on me when they didn't want to cooperate. With the mare, it was a defense mechanism she had learned from what I assume was rough, unkind handling. That behavior has disappeared as she has grown to trust me. The stallion is very gentle, just really didn't know any better. I taught them both to be respectful and stay out of my space kindly by using natural horsemanship methods I had used on my hunters. It's the principle of making the wrong thing difficult and the right thing easy.

The basic premise is giving to pressure, so when we taught the mini foals to lead, we took it a step at a time and taught them to give to pressure one move at a time, totally releasing the pressure for a forward movement. I just gently held them and put the halters on them, in my experience not many babies are going to stand there and let you put on on willingly. With more work, they started to understand, so now putting a halter on is no big deal. Minis are smart, and these caught on really quickly.

There is a whole lot more to know about these methods, I have found that with using natural horsemanship, you are establishing that you are the leader, which means they should respect you. I think it is very good that you are recognizing that your baby might be showing disrespect toward you. Babies will be babies, but when they are mature, I expect them to behave. In the hunter world, I had really quiet, well-behaved horses with good attitudes, so I know this stuff works! Just my opinion, but with the fly-by kicking in your direction, I would drive him off with my body (arms going, walking rapidly toward them) reinforcing with the voice reprimand, backing off as he calms down. My thought is --- would he do this to a herd leader? Maybe the herd leader would put up with it since he is a baby, but if an adult horse is disrespectful, the boss horse is going to put them in their place really quickly!

It is alot easier to show this stuff rather than tell you, but just remember that you are the boss. You don't have to be mean, but you need to provide leadership and make sure he is respectful to you.

ok hes not limping any more, he was limping only when he was trotting or trying to run.... last night he was zipping around again though he was being more careful. Talked to a friend about it and she things maybe he found a rock or something... He is getting used to the halter now... he lets me know hes not happy about it but he is letting me put it on. I went to put it on the other day and he tried to bolt and i thought of what you said about not letting him know he can get away and grabbed hold of him and made him stop(nice little wrestling match) and then put it on. If I can put my hand on his chest now he stops with only a little pressure it seems. We are working on leading some. I needed to put him back in his paddock this morning so put the lead rope on and then a longer lead rope around his but and made him lead... he didnt like that at all but about halfway to the paddock he started walking more without pulling back. I think hes getting it.

Well done with not letting go of him - huge lesson learned!
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Good work too with the butt rope, just keep the pressure there gently enough to stop it dropping to his hocks - if he pulls back the butt rope will pull his legs from under him - and dont let it slip up and catch under his tail - possible tail and spine damage. It is all quite a balancing act. LOL!! But it is a lot better than having him pull back on his lead rope, which can cause damage to his neck bones.

It sounds as though he will soon be leading happily - well done you!
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back