Mommy question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILoveMyGelding

Reaction score
When I was at the hospital my nurse told me to stay away from Ryder's umbilical cord. She said to wash around it with warm water when I give him baths. Today I noticed a real foul odor coming from it so I got out my care package from the hospital. It says that if there is a real foul odor to call your healthcare provider right away. Do you think it is infected? I've done just what the nurse told me to do. I'm calling his doctor as soon as they open in the morning. I'm just wandering if it is something I'm doing? Or is it about to fall off? It is oozing a little but the book says that is normal. I just feel horrible if it is something that I'm doing or not doing. How can I help my little guy out?

if he isn't fussy, i wouldn't worry about it. if it was infected, i would think it would be painful for him, it would feel "hot" to the touch and there would be a lot of redness. it's been 34 years since my baby was a baby but i do remember worrying about things like this. i'd call in the morning if for no other reason than to put your mind at ease.
default_smile.png

My youngest is almost 18 so I'm sure lots of things have changed but, I was told to swab it with alcohol to help dry it up, not sure if they still recommend that or not. Good Luck, Kathy

Hmmmm with my way back when I was told to use peroxide or alchohol on it with each diaper change, especially a boy! I would call and ask.

I would definitely call the doctor.

My memory goes to 10 years ago and I think the hospital gave me swabs to use. Don't know what was in the swabs, though.

MA

Mine are almost 2 and almost 4 and they told me to do the alcohol a couple of times a day and to call if any foul odor, redness etc. My 2 did turn blackish around the edges just before they fell off.

I hope by now they have told you how to handle it.

Congrats on the baby.

Karen

I called the doctor today and they told me just to clean it with warm water a few times today and to call tomorrow if the odor is still there. Right after I got off the phone with them my visiting nurse called and wanted to come visit today! So while she was here I made her check it and she said that it is getting ready to fall off. She cleaned it with alcohol and gave me some swabs to keep cleaning it out. They used to say to clean it with alcohol because they thought it dried it out faster but the nurse said that it really didn't. She said that a lot of states don't push it now and say just to clean it with warm water. It was such a relief having her visit! Ryder was 7lb 4oz at birth, 6lb 11oz when we left the hospital, and he now weighs 7lb 7oz! He's grown 1 1/2 inches since birth so he's probably going to be really tall like his mommy and daddy. Thank you all so much for the advice! I just got worried because let me tell you this smell is horrible! I feel so bad for Ryder because he can't get away from it. Hopefully it will fall off soon!

i'm gonna assume that's your little bundle of joy in your avatar and he's just precious!!! enjoy his infancy, they grow up SOOOO fast!!!

It fell off already! No more stinky cord!!!! :aktion033: Yes Charlene that is my little bundle of joy!
default_wub.png
: Thank you so much! I'm absolutely in love with the little man.

Wow Cassie he is growing alot faster than my lil Lexi is..Shes grown an 1/8" and has only gained 5 oz
default_sad.png
I sure hope she gains weight soon

Latest posts

Back