Molly, Little bit.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been checking milk once a day and there have been no changes in the ph, the calcium went up slowly. I have been checking the vulva once a day since I found out about it. Is that often enough if it shows no change?

I don't mind, anything to keep the little ones safe. So sorry to hear of the loss.

I have young kids and getting away at night is hard. The barn she is at is not just outside the door either, it is down the street, so that makes me very nervous. I can see her during the day if I walk out my door so I check on her a lot during the day. I am afraid that I am gonna miss it and something bad will happen, so I am looking for every little change. They are calling for more cold weather and snow this weekend so I am really hoping she holds out till spring decides to show up.

I have the same problem as I am alone with my kids and the horses are too far from the house for me to keep going out. I put a cam up for that reason, I also had a stable with a small run in made here at the house which was a godsend last year with my dummy foal as the kids could come out on the balcony and call me. I could also get hot water and make tea to keep me going
default_smile.png
Is there anyway you can put a cam up? Keep posting plenty of daily pics of her and we will help as much as we can.
default_yes.gif

When you take her hooha shot just move her tail to the side and not up cos lifting it up will make her scrunch up more. In the side shot try and take her whole body from down at her level. A shot from the back so we can see her sides and how baby is laying. An udder shot is easier to see if taken from in between her back legs.
I hope this helps
default_thumbup.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I just can't help myself... In answer to your title question "how long can a mare stay pregnant?" Til they foal, of course.
default_laugh.png
default_whistling.gif

My minis have stayed within the average range and gone from 307 to 327 days; however my AQHA mare went almost a year with her first foal (she was bred April 1-7 in 1996 and foaled on March 31, 1997). [Her next foal was normal gestation, I can't remember exactly, but is was around the expected 340 days for full-size horse. Her daughter was pregnant at the same time, and although she should have been 3 weeks behind, she foaled the next day.]

Are the camera's a special kind of camera? Or are they just like a web cam?

That is all new to me, the barn I worked at just let their mares foal without supervision (which i don't agree with) so we would go to the barn and there were the babies. We all knew some of the signs but never paid that much attention as we knew no one would be aloud to supervise, she had lots of people offer to watch and she always declined. She was old school I think, and they were all horses not minis. I think I am just paranoid about something going wrong.

Big horses foal much easier than minis so your worries are understanding. My in-laws have been breeding show jumpers for years but I didn't pay much attention either before getting my minis. I let them foal outside for the first year and I was lucky but foaling in a herd is safer as the mares tend to get up fast to protect their babies from curious relatives which breaks the sac.

Yes the cam is a web cam, during foaling season I have it running through Marestare so everyone can watch and help but for the rest of the year it just runs through my pc and iphone. It wasn't expensive but you need an internet connection near the horses.

I forgot my camera tonight but will try to get some more pictures tomorrow. I sure am glad I found this forum you all seem like great ladies with lots of knowledge to share. It is making it a little less stressful for me.

I will try tomorrow to see if there is wifi close enough to pick up at the barn. I will have to dig out the web cam if there is.
default_yes.gif

Thank you.

Here are some new pictures. I can't get a really good picture of her udder but I am getting better at it. Still pale pink in vulva so no real change.

IMG_1202.jpg
IMG_1203.jpg
IMG_1204.jpg
IMG_1205.jpg
IMG_1210.jpg

Her udder looks lopsided too is that normal? Also she just seems to be swelling in her backside not really getting long do some not get long? I guess I am just still really skeptical that she is expecting as she fooled me once.

If she isn't preggo she will need a serious diet
default_whistling.gif
Those pics are perfect and the udder shot is just fine. We will continue to watch and see.

I agree on the diet. I have been feeding her a pretty good diet with mare and foal (even though my big mare would eat most of it) so if she isn't she will be less the grain and put on a hay only diet. At least till the grass starts to grow then she gets the good green stuff.
default_yes.gif

To answer your ? On how long mini mares can be prego well it's really up to mom and baby...I was told once the baby picks the day, the mare picks the hour...lol I have heard one mini go at 365 days, I have not had one like that but this year I might reach that time frame most of mine go between 300 and 335 days, I have one now at 347 days so I guess the answer is anytime....lol I agree doing visual checks daily, hourly is a good guideline, cams make it more comfortable and less stressful if you get one up it will help you feel more in control and there is less chance of missing it... Good luck and keep the pics coming someone here may see something you might have missed and can clue you too it....hang in there it's all worth it in the end
default_smile.png

I think it was Matt here on the forum that had his mini mare go like 372 or something like that, if I remember correctly.

I know she's not a mini, but I scanned my AQHA mare's pics into the computer from her first pregnancy (she was about 15.1H, and 1100# or so).

This is about a month before she foaled (March 2, 1997):

Foolish - March 2, 1997 - for web.jpg

People at the boarding facility, did not believe that she was pregnant, as didn't really look it.

And, March 31, 1997:

Foolish - March 30, 1997.jpg

Dont worry, us 'oldies' on here have watched for months in the early days of this forum at mares who were 'supposed' to be foaling within the following month (they were a lot less obviously in foal than your little lady) and sure enough, in the end they produced some beautiful babies - it was just that their 'dates' got a bit muddled. LOL!!

Patience is certainly needed where these little mares are concerned, as is regular checks/observation plus pics so we can watch too.
default_yes.gif

I took some more pics last night. There hasn't been any change. Still watching and waiting.
default_impatient.jpg

IMG_1236.jpg
IMG_1234.jpg
IMG_1233.jpg
IMG_1232.jpg
IMG_1229.jpg

Ratzo, my mare's udder is lopsided too. I read this morning that it can be normal for maidens to have a bigger side. I have read so much that I don't remember where, but it was an article.

Here are some more pics. I don't see any change. She is coming up on day 365 from being separated from stud and no changes.
default_wacko.png
I am working on getting a camera set up in the barn. What kind of camera do some of you use? is it wifi or do you have a computer in the barn? Just curious what is working best for you.

thanks

Jen

IMG_1278.jpg
IMG_1280.jpg
IMG_1284.jpg
IMG_1283.jpg

Sorry about the hairy udder shots, she is starting to thin down there. I am trying not to have to clip her it is still cold here at night.

Latest posts

Back