Modern pleasure pony doing rail work

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minimor

Reaction score
I'd like to see a real Modern Pleasure pony or two "in action", doing the railwork. I'm just interested in seeing exactly how they're presented...are they tucked up some, similar to the Moderns but less extreme, or do they trot out like the Classics, only higher stepping than the Classics. Do they show in halters, or always in bits?

I have one that I think may be Modern Pleasure.....I want him to show as a Classic but I really think he may be too extreme to do well as a Classic. Having no experience at all with Modern Pleasure ponies I figure I'd better start asking around and learning about the division, so if I do have to show that way I'll be able to do it right.

Jennifer Radoi of Sweet Opal Shetlands does a BEAUTIFUL job presenting her ponies, she has a lot of really nice Modern Pleasures. I suggest looking around her website as I think she's got some rail pictures.

Sweet Opal Shetlands- Kiss

Sweet Opal Shetlands- Pow Wow

Sweet Opal Shetlands- Ka Pow

Those are some of the pages I know have some rail pictures. Otherwise, check out some websites of people that have Modern Pleasures and see what's there or ask them if they have photos. I will try to think of other websites to send you to, that I've seen rail pictures. Most photographers don't get good rail pictures so most people don't buy them I think. I also don't think that just looking at pictures can give you a good idea of what goes on... you actually have to see in person how the different ponies are presented. I am terrible at working my ponies on the rail... it's a LOT harder than you'd think it might be!

The Modern Pleasures generally may break level at the trot but probably not too far above that. They should be setting their heads when working, that is why most are shown in a bridle with a Weymouth style bit. However, it's not required and you can show in a show halter like the Classics... but most people do not, they do show the Pleasures in a mare bridle. I think the bridle really helps the pony set their head... and the Moderns are a little bit hotter than the Classics to get that motion so it gives you more control! You can also show them shod or unshod.

I am by no means an expert... I LOVE the Modern Pleasures and am a newbie amateur myself... so hopefully some more experienced people can chime in!

There are some pretty extreme classics out there, it really depends on the pony. Do you have pictures of your pony?

Andrea

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a yearling pic of my MP mare going down the rail. She she should be a little more upright in her head and have her head tucked a little more. This photo is from one of her earlier shows and she was just learning. I hope this helps.
default_saludando.gif

TammyRail2008.jpg

Latest posts

Back