Miracles Do Happen

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniNHF

Reaction score
For those of you who followed my post on my older show horse max (and thank you for all your support and prayers through the difficult time), I wanted to post a new thread as a follow up.

For people reading this for the first time please feel free to see the original thread here: http://www.miniaturehorsetalk.com/index.php?showtopic=134347

But to recap, on August 17th my 26yr old retired show horse Max collapsed in the field when I went to check on him after the farm owners said he seemed to be lame again (he had just recovered from a abcess type lameness). This horse went from not being able to walk at all ,turn etc without almost falling down to 9 weeks later walking like he never had a problem in his life.

This weekend when I went to the barn and to get him out of the field, I called for him and when the group came running up, here he was cantering out of the back field with no problem and came down to a halt like a pro. Lets just say that was an emotional time for me to see that.

Just to see him happy and full life again just made me so happy. For him to recover literally to 100% I couldnt believe one bit. Everyone said either he would have to be put down or he would have permanent damage to where he wouldnt move around 100% and probably would never trot or canter again.

I told my mom, who has handled and known max as long as myself, that if he is willing to fight, I am willing to put the time and money into helping him pull through this. Ive never met a horse with a bigger heart and the fight to live.

He is still behind on his weight but I think his body is still playing catch up to the 9 weeks of trauma and excertion it was put through; he gained a little weight back but then stopped but he hasnt lost any which is good. His skin is starting to look better in fighting off the rain rot so that is a good sign.

I dont think I will ever attempt to ride him again because I do not know what happened to his spine back there to cause all those probems but im just grateful to have my best friend still here with me. He has seen me through some rough emotional times and I was bound and determined to help him through his.

I am so happy for you and Max.

What a fighter he is.

He is so blessed to have you in his life, just as you are blessed to have him.

It is amazing how he has recovered.

All the best wishes for you both.

Thank you for the kind words
default_smile.png

I am so happy for you and Max.
What a fighter he is.
He is so blessed to have you in his life, just as you are blessed to have him.
It is amazing how he has recovered.
All the best wishes for you both.

Your news has made my day! I'm absolutely thrilled for you and for Max. You both deserved this - him for fighting and you for the love and determination to help him in his fight.
default_yes.gif

I'm sure his weight will improve slowly too now he's feeling so much better. Wishing you both all the very best and many more years of that special friendship. Good luck!

Your news has made my day! I'm absolutely thrilled for you and for Max. You both deserved this - him for fighting and you for the love and determination to help him in his fight.
default_yes.gif

I'm sure his weight will improve slowly too now he's feeling so much better. Wishing you both all the very best and many more years of that special friendship. Good luck!
We are staying positive about his weight that he will gain it back. He is constantly eating now and not standing around really and only just intaking grain. We have started a senior weight builder but mixing it with red cell so we can just shoot it into his mouth to make sure he gets enough each day because he is the dominant one out in the field and make jump buckets despite our efforts to keep him on one side and the other horses on the other.

Oh, this is such wonderful news. You both are so lucky to have eachother.

Such wonderful news!!
Yes it is
default_smile.png

I am just thrilled to read this. Lots of people were praying for his return to health, and your constant love and care for him has brought him back! I'm so happy for both of you!

I think the prayers definitely played a role in his recovery. I am also thankful for the barn owners as well, they went above and beyond what they needed to do, to help me with him that most farms would not have done.

I am just thrilled to read this. Lots of people were praying for his return to health, and your constant love and care for him has brought him back! I'm so happy for both of you!

Latest posts

Back