Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kimmi

Reaction score
Hi guys
We had a mini born yesterday that looks like he' is walking on his toes
I have been told be a vet that he needs to have Oxt Tet injections and be in splints for 3 days
Can any one help with a recommendation of what else I can do or if they know a vet that has reasonable price to do this in or around the area daylesford victoria
His feeding and walking no problems

Any advise will be a big help
Thanks
Kimmi

Attachments

• IMG_2104.JPG
    IMG_2104.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2105.JPG
    IMG_2105.JPG
    117.3 KB · Views: 3
I'm not one of the experts and hope they will come along soon and give you some good advise. As far as I know what you need to do is support his legs so they can't buckle forwards anymore until the tendons relax and stretch. I think you could use a piece of pvc pipe cut in half, edges smoothed and padded and bandaged carefully onto the front of his leg from the knee down as a splint to do that. Sometimes a farrier will glue an extension onto the toe to help keep the foot from rolling forwards more. I have no idea about Oxt Tet injections. The more time he gets out moving the better he will be.

Do you live a low selenium area? If so, the foal needs an ESE shot. If you live in High selenium area, that also could be an issue. Your vet and Taz is correct that wrapping the foal's legs will help RELAX the tendons. I've never heard of Oxt Tet injections either. Taz described a common method that people have used for splinting. For padding, I've used the cotton found inside disposable diapers because it's hard to find cotton sheets here. And for wrapping, vet wrap is the way to go.
Oh, and DITTO to what Taz said about allowing him to move freely.

Hi Guys,
Thanks heaps for the information
I cant get a Vet out to see him here and the Vets we have in town now only do dog and cats, However Im still searching and the vet I spoke to is an hours away but want to keep the mother and foal for 3 day at a cost of $1000 which is more than the poor boys worth - not going to put him down just going to try alternatives until I cant
His running around having a ball , very happy boy love a scratch but on his tippy toes
Can you guys please tell me where to start the splint and were is should end
I can get the, pipe, Cotton Padding they use and the vets tape here easily and will go and get wheat need today, just need to know where to start the splint and were to finish it, Im a newby at this and need all the advise I can get
Thanks a bunch for down under
Cheers
Kimimi

I'd start with wrapping the hoof itself, then over the line where the top of the hoof meets the actual leg (coronary band). Stay below the next joint, probably a few inches below so he can bend that without a problem. You're going to have to change out the bandaging daily or he'll develop sores. You can use the same pipe, though. Let him move around when you change things. I bet you'll see a difference in a day or two. I think your vet projected 3 days?

Hi Kimmi , I agree with what others have said above. How did the splits go ? You will be surprised how quickly he will straighten out. If your having trouble keeping the bandages on, the coloured gauze rolls are great over the top of the bandage.

Cheers Ryan

Hi Girls and Boys,
Sorry for the late reply,
Its the weekend here and I had to work both days mmmmmmmm.
I have had the splints on him for about a day and a half so far and we can see an improvement in how he is standing, so it seam to be working thank GOD.
The first day we put them on we were very unsuccessful as they fell off with in hours and I was at work so I couldn't put them on until the next morning.
I have worked out how to use the coloured gauze bandage to keep them from falling off now and they only come off when I need to remove them.
I have taken them off to give him a rest for a few hours but will put them back on again tonight and will keep them on him all day tomorrow and then take them off to see if we need more time.
I will take a few pics and send them to you guys if thats ok so you can give me your opinion as well please
Thanks to all of you for your great knowledge
xxxxxxx
will send you pic tomorrow
have a great weekend and please stay covid safe
Cheers
Kimmi

Hi Guys
I believe we are fixing the issue, even my neighbours can see the difference when he stands
but Im not sure if we need to use the splints more
I have attached the some pic these are from yesterday and I hope this helps
Any further advise would be great
Cheers
Kimmi

Attachments

• IMG_2183.jpg
    IMG_2183.jpg
    427.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2181.jpg
    IMG_2181.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2180.jpg
    IMG_2180.jpg
    587.4 KB · Views: 5
Hello
Yes they are awesome, many of my friend say its the best colour we have bread yet?
I am going to sell this little one when he's ready as I have to many stallions.
before I cut him which wont be for a while, do you know of any one who might be interested in this stallion
he will bread colour and I feel its a shame to not to breed with him as he has incredible marking
and thanks for your help and advise
cheers
Kimmi

Latest posts

Back