Fat minis & bad feet

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BiologyBrain

Reaction score
I've been working with four minis (& their pet Belgian) for my elderly neighbor. Many years in the past, at least 3 of the 4 have been trained to pull carts both alone and as a team. My neighbor treats them more like dogs than horses and could very well be killing them with kindness. He thinks they need sweet feed and rich hay year round even when they're on good pasture 24/7. In other words they're all quite fat.

I've been working on conditioning the most sturdy looking one, SunDance, who's about 34-36" tall with good solid bone (looks more like a classic Shetland pony than a refined mini). He and his closest stablemate have vet-diagnosed allergies that I'm treating with prescription allergy meds. All of the minis have some degree of thrush even with full turnout, clean stalls, hoof cleaning at least daily-every other day. They also seem to have a tendency to have their hooves turn up like elf-shoes if they get even slightly long (farrier comes out about every 4 weeks) and are basically like platform elf-shoes. The bars of their hooves also crush into the frog on the inside of each foot.

The mostly matched pair have the most sturdy/pony-like builds and the best feet and overall condition (except for their pesky allergies) (hoof diameter approximately 3" for SunDance and a little less for Coty viewed from the bottom). The largest has the worst feet both with thrush and the high-heel/platform elf-shoe hooves (hoof diameter about 4"). He's probably the least overweight, but since he often can't walk comfortably, I don't work him. The smallest has the 2nd worst feet (and the smallest at about 2.5" diameter) and is probably the most overweight. He is has very refined legs and head (his eyes slightly bulge out, but he's quite cute).

I've spoken to both the farrier and the vet about the issues with these minis, but besides treating the allergies and thrush and trimming their hooves, neither think founder/laminitis is the issue affecting these horses, but no X-rays have been performed. Of course, the consensus is that they should definitely lose weight, but convincing their owner is rather difficult. I've been around horses my whole life & studied to be a vet for quite some time. However, I've never been around miniatures like this - Shetland ponies, Quarter horses, Haflingers, National Show Horses, Arabians, & several grade horses (ground work, riding, & driving) - yes. Minis - no!

Since I'm working with SunDance and he's the most sound, I'd like advice on working him into better shape and keeping him that way. My plan is to get him pulling the cart & then work with his most closely matched friend, Coty, and drive them as a team. If I can figure out the problem with the other two, I'd like the larger one to be a sometime mount for my 3 and 5 year old children. The smallest could also be a part-time team with one or the other of the sturdy pair.

Any helpful hints you could give me? The farrier comes out tomorrow. I'll be working with SunDance tomorrow too. My neighbor may be difficult to handle (75 year old men are kinda set in their ways), but I'll try.

I wish I could help you with some answers, but I don't have any. Welcome to the forum from Southern Maryland, and I do know that someone here can help you as there are several that also trim hooves and drive. As for the elderly gentleman, you're on your own, I have my own grumpy old man to deal with. Good luck.

I am surprised their feet turn up if they are trimmed every four weeks. I have three minis and all walk out in hand on the road and they are trimmed every 8 to 10 weeks and their feet never need much of a trim just a tidy up really. I don't know an awful lot about minis but I think their feet must be growing extremely rapidly for them to show signs of turning up. Could this be due to their diet or as in a laminitic they have excess growth?

They need a new vet and a new farrier. That's insane the horse's feet do this at a 4 week trim and neither one of them seem to be concerned. The owner needs to listen to you about all that forrage as well or you're running the risk of one or all of them going belly up soon as you start working them. A new vet and farrier is in order and hopefully they can talk some sense into the owner. Good luck to you.

Welcome from sunny Florida !! Sounds like you have your hands full -- and have some nice plans going.

I too think something is not sounding right. If they are having a hoof wall "curl" after only 4 weeks, perhaps you could take a picture of the hoof (or two) AFTER a trim, and let's see how the farrier is leaving the hoof AFTER a trim. There is no way a hoof should be growing enough to curl in just 4 weeks, in my opinion, and I'm wondering what they are "starting" with. Perhaps the farrier is leaving too much after he's done, and should be taking them back more.

Just an idea -- and pictures can be such a help.

Welcome again!!

~~Diane at Castle Rock

While diet is a big part of hoof health, it will never cause such bad hooves no matter how obese the horse is. Get a new farrier (asap) to take a look at all of the horses. I've trimmed hooves on many severely obese horses and as long as they are trimmed correctly and frequently, there have not been issues. Can you post pictures?

I uploaded photos of all my equines: a side view of their whole body, a side view of their feet, & a bottom view of one foot. The photos aren't great quality - especially on Redman since he didn't want to have his picture taken. took these photos 3 days after their hooves were trimmed. Two of them, Redman & Little Bit, are still sore/lame/unwilling to move much.

Please take a look if you can.

Sad to say that in regard to minis there are some vets and some farriers that just don't know what to do with them. I've had good luck with vets but a lot of us resort to trimming our own because the farriers sometimes just don't do a good job on minis.

Latest posts

Back