Minis and ????

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lillianna

Reaction score
Has anyone heard or had their minis not getting along with other animals on the farm/ranch that they may come across? I’m thinking of things like how do they do around big dogs, or crazy roosters, such knitters as that? Also, how would you protect them from predators that can get through a regular fence that is good enough for horses but not smaller animals?

Hi Lilliana, I don’t know how they do with other animals but I have heard that donkeys are good protection animals for farms/ranches. Maybe that would work for protection.

The guy next door has LLamas that protect his sheep and lambs from foxes. I also have big horses, so my fencing prevents my dog getting into the paddocks.

Some horses get along great with other animals, others do not. Really depends on the horse itself.

What do you have for predators?
Do keys can be good protectors, but I would get a full size one, not a mini. It is expecting a lot of a mini donkey to protect against wolves or dogs, even coyotes if there are a lot of them--not to mention a cougar. A mini donkey stands no chance against a cougar. There have been cases where full size donkeys have been killed by predators--usually wolves, dogs or a cougar. Same with a llama. They just cannot win against some of the bigger predators.

My current herd of horses--the Shetlands especially but some of the Minis too --hate my dogs.

If you want protection from predators, use a "predator", that's what livestock guardian dogs are bred for.
It's ridiculous to expect a prey animal, whether donkey or llama, to guard other prey animals against predators; you might find their self-preservation kicks in at the expense of the animals you hoped they'd protect.

chandab, How do you incorporate an LGD with your animals? Looking to add mini(s) to our herd of 5 llamas. We lost 2 llamas to a coyote or ferral dog last year. I'd like to use an LGD but unsure if the llamas and it would get along where they would fend off predators together.

chandab, How do you incorporate an LGD with your animals? Looking to add mini(s) to our herd of 5 llamas. We lost 2 llamas to a coyote or ferral dog last year. I'd like to use an LGD but unsure if the llamas and it would get along where they would fend off predators together.
I honestly don't know as I've not had a LGD, but it's my understanding that you start from puppyhood introducing the dog to you stock. As Llamas aren't fond of canines, I'm not sure how that will go over. I'd suggest you search out LGD groups and possibly llama groups and inquire with them. I do know, we have a friend with a LGD and his dog goes on walk-about some what frequently, as they do seem to need a fairly large territory.
Pretty sure there are a few members still here with LGDs, so hopefully one of them will see this post and reply.

I have a LGD. She has a gift for being able to befriend animals, even the ones that hate dogs. She was friends and napping with my mustangs before I could even touch them.

You don’t have to get a puppy, but if you want an adult try to find one that has been exposed to the stock you want them to guard. If I get another one, it would be an adult 3+

Latest posts

Back