Minimal Pinto Pattern-help

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim~Crayonboxminiatures

Reaction score
I have a yearling colt who is out of a solid dam, and sired by a palomino stallion with a large star/blaze WF Zeus Noble Cause.. My colt has a belly spot, a small roaned "star" and he is developing more white hair like roaning on his body, and I've even found a few white hairs mixed in his mane now too. He had a small sprinkling of white "roaning" when I clipped him as a foal, but I would say there is a bit more now, but not a lot more. I'm thinking it's most likely some sort of sabino, but I'm also wondering if LWO would be possible, I don't know if his sire was tested. I am on the fence if he will be gelded or stay a stallion, if he would be used for breeding he will be tested for LWO, but I don't know if it's worth testing for sabino, is there still a test for only one sabino gene?

Here is the link to his webpage which includes his pedigree at the bottom: Crayonbox Cause For Applause

Here are the photos:

Sorry, forgot to brush him off before taking the photo, but you can see the white hair sprinkled in his coat.

IMG_0098.JPG

White belly spot:

IMG_0100.JPG

And last his face marking:

IMG_0085-452x337.jpg

I'm no expert, but I'd say it is likely to be Sabino. [Yes, still only one type available for testing.] I'd hold off on the LWO testing til you decide if he's to be gelded or not, if he's gelded, then it won't matter, and you can save the testing fee.

He's really cute.

Thanks Chanda! He is cute most of the time, but there are those moments when the hormones get the better of his brain, haha!

Anyone else??

Well, I thought Bunny was about as minimal pinto as you can get but you sure beat her in that category! I think your guy might be too minimal for the Pinto registry but I am pretty sure Bunny will be OK there. I would guess the roanng is sabino but only a guess. If you are on FB, you might want to post on the Equine Color/pattern page and see what they say.

Nope, don't think he'd qualify for pinto registry, I'm just curious on the genes of what he could be carrying. I find the genetics of color so fascinating.

Sabino yes, but I would go for Splash, too, as, tiny though it is the star is asymmetrical.

No point in testing for anything, really, unless he stays entire!

He is cute, though.....
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back