"MINIMAL" Dwarf

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DunPainted

Reaction score
We purchased a beautiful mare, half-way through gestation. Textbook delivery of a TINY FILLY. She had "wobbly" legs and took her directly to the vet....IGG test "off the chart". Was given a selenium shot.

MADI is dearly loved by our family and friends.
default_wub.png
:

Clearly, she's a minimal dwarf, as she doesn't have underbite, domed head, etc. Please see photos below.

QUESTION: Madi lays down a majority of the day. Sometimes, I pick her up and she's not keen to stand up, until given a bit of a scoot. My son is of the belief that perhaps her "body weight" might be too much for her little legs. ANY OPINIONS? would certainly be appreciated.

EasterSide.jpg

MadiSide.jpg

April9Head.jpg

Many thanks for your time.

Cindy

hi cindy

with a lot of minimal expression dwarves like yours there are things going wrong on the inside that you cannot see. She looks healthy in the pics but there has to be something going on if she doesnt want to get up much. I would have some xrays done to see whats going on inside. In that 2nd pic she does look like she has a big belly common in dwarfs due to the organs being too large. do her legs ever swell? She sure is cute!

She sure is a cutie. If she is "minimal expression dwarf" be sure to keep her hooves trimmed more often to help her legs from getting sore. I agree that you also should have a vet do an exam incase of any hidden problem.

Something tells me she was born into the best possible home around......
default_wub.png
:

MA

She is ADORABLE!!! What a pretty little face! A thorough going over by the vet, x-rays of her insides and legs will hopefully tell you more.....and maybe full blood work too??? I hope it turns out that she is just lazy....Remember, Seabiscuit was as a foal and slept for most of the day!!!!
default_yes.gif
: Wish you all the best with her anyway.

Hello DunPainted,

Your little girl is adorable.
default_wub.png
: I have a minimal dwarf who is now four years old. Please consider joining us on the Little Bit's forum which is where several of us who share our lives with dwarf minis are members. Janell, the administrator along with Bill, are very knowledgeable about dwarfism and Janell makes the Little Magic shoes which greatly help many special little horses legs and feet. Also, theiris a type of dwarf which usually has a correct bite and normal head as you mentioned about your girl. I hope to "see" you and this sweet baby at Little Bit's, I think you will find the support and knowledge shared there quite helpful for both of you, along with the good advice you have already received here on Lil Beginnings. Here's the URL.

http://www.sunshineforums.com/forum/index....m=littlebit&sid

She is an adorable foal! Her dwarfism, to me, does look extremely minimal. I am sure there are many breeders who would not actually see any indication of dwarfism in her. To me in the pictures, the only one that makes me think she's a little dwarfy is the one of her in the big pan. She is for sure a total cutie!

Hi Cindy,

Little Maddi is just adorable!! I also wonder about whether or not she is "really" a dwarf. I'm sure either Janell or Bill could give you some great advice!

I know hoe much you love her and whether or not she is a dwarf, little Maddi will have the best of care and lots and lots of love!!

Treasure and Buddy say "hi" to Aunty Cindy and give little precious Maddi an extra treat from them.

I do think she is a minimal dwarf- but can see why people would query it.

This is why we so desperately need a test for this problem- I am absolutely sure that breeding form little fillies like this one is the reason dwarfism is so rife.

In the wrong hands she could easily be put in foal and, unlike a more obvious dwarf, might go on to breed successfully.

The foals she had, however......

Thank You All!!

Whether or not Madi is minimal dwarf, she will be my "once-in-a-lifetime" horse who'll have a home forever. Our souls are truly connected.

What's cherished the most is her HUGE HEART for all humans.
default_wub.png
: Sorry for the sappiness!
default_rolleyes.gif
:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MAY I ASK A COUPLE IGNORANT QUESTIONS?.....

1. Is there a blood test to determine dwarfism in Madi?

2. What x-ray "view", based on experience, best reflects the state of her internal organs? Truth be told, there's a lot of "intellectual guess work" by local vets, and it would be helpful to insist on the proper "views". Subjecting this poor girl to the frightening experience an x-ray process induces, is something I wish to minimize.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rest assured, this precious girl will NEVER BE BRED. To risk losing her would be wholly lacking in compassion for a dear friend, and the height of utter stupidity.

To those who PM'd, may God bless you. This is a wonderful family and sure appreciate your taking the time to post in the gentlest way possible.

Again, thank you.

Cindy

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Cindy, First of all I want to say, that I think EVERY dwarf weather it be severe or minimal should the right to a comfortable and loving home, as any other horse should have. There are still breeders out there that will hide the fact that they have produced even a minimal dwarf. The only way mini breeders are every going to learn about dwarfism is by breeders coming forward, it can help us all learn throught there findings and experiences. Madi does look like she is very minimal to me. Maybe you could take her to our Green Bay vet (you know who I mean
default_yes.gif
: :bgrin ) and have him run tests on her to see if something is going on with her intestines etc. It will help you down the road as far as her feeding goes too. You will need to get a farrier out to do some work on her hooves also, make sure hes one who is familiar with minis. I am so glad to hear you will be giving this precious little gal a forever home. If you ever need any help--let me know, as youalready know I have been thru it with my Cherokee. Corinne

One year I leased a herd of mares and one had a dwarf after she arrived here. The owner wanted to register this foal and I gave her a hard time until she said find a home for him. He was minimal and had such a loving personality and cute. I have used the analogy that dwarves are like Down Syndrome kids as they have the loving sweet personalities that grab your heart. He got a respiratory problem and we xrayed him and found he had 2 strictures in his trachea and his heart was more between his front legs since everything was shoved up in his chest. Keep in mind he is a minimal dwarf but still has significant health problems. He also has the wonky legs. Knowing about this ahead of time, when he was gelded it was done at the hospital with intubation equipment standing by in case he had problems but everything went well.

Now for the sneeky, devious side of my personality. I gave him to Sandy's husband Doug at Eclipse and he fell in love with this little guy which in turn opened the door for her to start her mini herd. Sandy is a nurse and well equiped to deal with Buddy's problems so he has a loving home with excellent care until his time comes to an end.

I was also going to suggest Janelle and Bill's forum. It has a wealth of warm caring folks and information. She is so adorable Cindy.

Cindy,

Your little Madi, may not develop dwarfy problems until she starts growing. Having the vet examine her legs, her mouth, and her internal organs now, though, may help. Unfortunately there is NO blood test for dwarfism, or we all wouldn't be here scratching our heads....... LOL!

I also agree that Janelle's and Bill's Forum will be helpful incase anything is revealed by the vet's exam.

MA

[SIZE=18pt]Hi Cindy,[/SIZE]

I see you been on Little Bits, but just wanted to tell you that your little gal is a doll! The one thing I see in the pix is her feet may be a bit long and causing her some pain when she walks! That may be why she doesn't want to get up much! Have your farrier or yourself trim her feet as short as you can without quicking her! I think you will see her getting up a lot more once she's trimmed short! You can also add pure MSM to her diet to help her little joints! But, the main thing above all is to let her be a horse! :aktion033: If I can help you in any way, e-mail me at [email protected] or you may call me at 423-418-4120 or 423-753-0655!

Bill

Latest posts

Back