Corona

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

StarRidgeAcres

Dear Forum Friends,

I really do not know where to begin, so I apologize in advance if I ramble or don't make much sense.

As many of you know we purchased Corona in late 2006 after a very, very long search for just the "right" stallion for us. We wanted a beautiful head, straight legs, long neck, proven pedigree and under 28". Corona was the answer to our dreams! We tried to do everything right. Had a pre-purchase health exam, had him collected and had his sperm evaluated, sent him to a trainer and paid tons of show fees. All to get us our tiny stallion with a winning show record to help us produce our dream foals. He brought me many wins in ammy, even against 34" horses and he earned 4 World/National top tens also.

Due to no fault of his own, we never had a live foal from him until this year. Corona had his first live foal born yesterday morning. A tiny filly. She was a type 3 dwarf.
default_crybaby.gif
I only got to see her in two pictures, but I'm told her head was very large, she had an extreme underbite and her tongue hung out. She could not nurse. She passed peacefully about 8 hours after she was born.
default_no.gif

It has been heartbreaking for us and the owners of the mare. The mare was a maiden and had a very hard time getting the baby out since the head was so large.

Everyone who knows me knows how strongly I feel about knowingly breeding minis that have produced dwarves in the past. It's really easy when it's never happened to you to say "well, I'd never breed any horse again if it had a dwarf." We've spent thousands and thousands of dollars on Corona AND WE LOVE HIM! This could be the one time it happens and I may be able to get tons of babies from him that are just what I want. But I wont.

His mares were taken from his pasture yesterday and they've already been given their first round of lutalyse. Corona will be gelded on Friday. It's horrible when it happens to you and I'd never wish it on anyone. It's no ones fault, unless any previous owner knew he carried the gene and didn't tell anyone. Aside from that, it's just an unfortunate situation.

I can hardly look at him to feed him.
default_no.gif
It's not his fault, but I had such high hopes that have been in the works for 3 years. It's sad all the way around.

Thanks for letting me share.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry Parmela....

you know I have been a fan of his and while I don't know the mare (would appreciate pics of her if you can), I commend your bravery in this very tough decision.

Liz

Last edited by a moderator:
{{{{{{Parmela}}}}}} Words can't say how very sorry I am. I know you're devastated and my heart goes out to you. He is still the boy you love and always will be (even though he won't be your stallion) so please give him a hug.

Love to you,

Robin

So very sorry Parmella ,

it seems sometimes you can do everything right as you can

with minis and it still leads to disappointment.

There were so many crosses to big name dwarfs years ago with minis

you just don't know especially with the tinys when it will show up.

Hoping the remainder of your foaling season is happy

Lori

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear. You just never know. But don't give up. He'll make a heck of a show gelding and reap in the awards still (AMHR has a gelding incentive program next year). But you are doing the right thing by not continuing breeding. Kudos to you!
default_saludando.gif

You are driven on emotions running high right now; you could be jumping the gun but I don't blame you for not wanting to go through this again. Hard to believe that a horse like Corona could sire a dwarf but once again, this shows us all that it is so possible for that gene to rear up at any of us at any given time. I applaud your courage and conviction and send major hugs to help heal your wounded heart.

As you know, I have a great deal of respect for your breeding program. Your decision to be forward about this incident and proactive about preventing it from happening again just makes me admire you that much more. I know the disappointment must be devastating and my heart goes out to you and the mare's owner for your loss. Let's hope the first dwarf gene test becomes available this summer as predicted, and that we can end these unexpected heart aches once and for all.

Parmela,

I'm so sorry this happened to you and the owner of the mare. As I said to you early, don't beat yourself up. This is part of the territory that comes with breeding miniatures and this happens some times no matter how hard you work to advoid it. You are one of the most responsible people I know and I applaud your decision to geld Corona, many would not.

And as others here have said, Corona can continue his winning ways for you as an awesome show gelding.

Parmela, I am SO SORRY. I know how it feels right now, so many hopes and dreams dashed. I respect your decisions so much. Although it may not feel like it right now, I believe the way you are handling this will help your miniature breeding program more than you know. It shows just how ethical you are and stand by your convictions. It means a lot. I have gelded both of my sr. stallions in the past year. Not for the same reasons as you did, but in one case there were some slight faults that I thought would hurt Esprit as a sire. Although it is a disappointment, I must say I am enjoying my boys more than ever. Well Alladdin has only been a gelding for a week, but we are moving forward with plans for him to be my granddaughter's show gelding in the years to come. Esprit has become my best little buddy and soulmate. I hope you find the same happy thing with your Corona. He is beautiful, gorgeous, and a perfect example of a small stallion.

Sending big hugs your way.

I am so terribly sorry that this happened to you. You have shown class and have done all that you should. You are dealing with many heartbreaks at once. He will be an EXCELLENT show gelding. And is still the horse you love. This is a gene that anyone who breeds is playing russian roulette with. I can't wait to get the dwarf gene test.

default_no.gif
I'm very sorry that this has happened...But I do applaud and admire your decision on gelding Corona!!!! {{{HUGS}}} to you and the owner of the mare.

Oh Parmela, I also am so sorry. BUT he's still beautiful. I don't care if he's a stallion or not, just because he can't produce doesn't mean he can't still love you and be a wonderful horse for you. He is STILL him. He's just going to be "great" in a different way. God sometimes has us go in a different direction and it's in a way we never ever dreamed of and that's Corona's path right now. It may be hard to embrace right now, but in the end it will be for the best and geldings are wonderful too. I have 3 and I wouldn't have it any other way. He's still just as special and like you say it's not his fault, if anything he's going to need you more your taking away his mares and he will not understand why. So just give him that extra attention even though you may not "feel" like it, kindness comes from the heart and I know you have it for him and you truly love him..... {{{{{HUGS}}}}} TJ

You are a very classy breeder.

As you said, it could be the only time something like this might happen but you certainly "walk the talk".

What a heartbreaker for you and your hopes and dreams for your breeding program.

So sorry Parmela that it has turned out this way. I commend you on gelding him... Geldings are the best!

There is something different and better in store for you and your breeding program-I jsut know it, so keep your head up and see.

Corona doesnt understand whats going on-he jsut wants to be special STILL..

I am so sorry Parmela to hear of all of this happening to you. It just seems you have been "hammered" enough over the past year with the loss of some foals and now this. I can only say that I commend you for the tough decision you have had to make. Corona is stunning & beautiful even as a gelding!

Iknow you are disappointed and hurt emotionally as well as financially but I do have to tell you.... I am so impressed with your honesty and integrity. You are without a doubt a breeder who walks the walk and I (along with many others I am sure) would never hesitate to purchase a horse from a breeder with such ethics.

I keep hoping the day will come when a gelding in this breed will be as treasured and looked up to and sought after as geldings in other breeds but no doubt about it you will have one amazing little gelding

Thank you everyone for the kind words about Corona. Thanks for the emails also. I can understand how not everyone agrees with my decision to geld him, but it's right for us. I have such tiny mares that it just seems like I'd be asking for trouble to breed them to a known carrier. The mare he had this foal with was around 30" and she had such a tough time. Her owner really had to work to get the head out. Fortunately, her owners are lovely people and they would never blame us for this. They also believe it takes two so they immediately made the decision to never breed this mare again. It's a shame this gene exists. The mare is royally bred and gave no visual indication this gene was present. Some would say that just based on his tiny size that Corona gave a visual indication, but I personally don't believe that. Size alone does not equal dwarf IMO.

Again, thanks for the kind words. Poor little guy doesn't understand what is happening and where his mares went, but I'm afraid even if I put one of my mares that I don't think will ever conceive again with him that just my luck she'd take. He was pretty docile before he started breeding so I'm hoping he's goes back to that puppy dog personality after the gelding and enough time has passed.

Sorry to hear of your heartbeat. But I agree he will be a incredible gelding
default_wink.png

I am one also that will be glad if they can isolate the dwarf gene. I know it takes two but it is in most of the lines and you just never know when it will show itself.

Parmela,

I understand your dissappointment and fustruation but must applaud you for your decision.

Arlene

Latest posts

Back