Miniature Pinschers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sue_C.

Reaction score
I have known only two, and they were very nice dogs, but that isn't enough to judge an entire breed from. So...I figured to come here and see what I can find out from all of you guys.
default_smile.png

We have a large-n-loveable, goofy neutered male dog now, who loves both people and other dogs, so he is no problem. (I hope.) He is my husband`s dog, and I have been wanting a small dog for myself. Some little friend who can travel to shows with me, stay at the barn or wherever I am...and keep me company in the camper at night.

The three breeds I have narrowed it down to are Boston Terrier, Yorkie (would be kept clipped) or Min-pin. As you can see, I prefer big dogs in small packages.
default_laugh.png
I know several Yorkies, and Bostons, so they are familiar to me, but the Min-pin is one I love the looks of, but do not have experience with.

I have one and would never get another. Remi is yappy and dominant aggressive. He bites me on a daily basis and everything has to be done on his terms. I can't walk out of the house or get up for a drink off the couch w/o him yapping. He sleeps with us and if he's against me and I move, I get bit. I can't pet him if he's sitting next to me on the couch. Only when he wants to be petted. We've done obdiance and submissive behavior exercises...nothing worked. He's now 8 or 9 years and I'm just waiting, counting the days. Oh, and he's the husband's dog even though he was supposed to be for me!
default_no.gif

If you want a good travel companion for horse shows, you can't go wrong with a corgi cross. I have two of them and they are the best dogs.

I have known some thru friends at the dog shows. They do tend to be yappy and very brave for their size.. One of my friends was showing Irish Setters and Mini Pins. While I was talking to her two of the Min. Pins. were hanging from the throat of the Irish.. The Irish didn't seem to mind.. but a strange dog would be

some upset I am sure..
default_laugh.png

Don't know much about them, and after reading above post... kinda think I will admire them from AFAR....
default_wink.png

But one thing I will say about them they really have a CUTE Hackney Trot to them... We were at the Dog Show the other day and there was one in the category final and boy the little one really thought it was something the way it trotted around... Real Cute, guess with the above they'ed have to be....
default_laugh.png

Janice Silvio

Amore' Miniatures

I've had two Min Pins. Both wonderful dogs and not yappy or snippy at all. Both lived with cats and other small dogs (Jack Russell, Cairns) and Dobermans. Guess it all boils down to the breeding. I was lucky enough to buy from breeders who were friends of mine who happended to have good temperaments in their animals. (yes they are cute "trotters".......my "park" puppies!) Shed but not much.

I also have had three Yorkies. Again, all three GREAT pets. Totally different from a Min. Pin though. One great thing...no shedding. Of course they lose hair but not like a shedding dog.

Never had a Boston..........would love one though as I know a lot of people that own those too and they are adorable little dogs.

It's like anything else, there is good and bad in every breed.....Look hard at the overall personality of the breed itself........breed traits in general.

I would think it boils down to what you want out of the dog.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have two! They are little brats and think they have to be the boss of everything you do! Having said that I will never find a cooler dog then my little man Rudy! He thinks he is a little person and does the funniest things. We bought him in Feb 2003 when he was two. Vayda, our little girl is the sweetest little dog you will ever meet. She is not aggressive but does try to boss other dogs around sometimes. I also got my dad a min pin a few years back. He is naturally a very "good" dog. Very sweet and not at all aggressive. He doesn't listen worth a hoot though if you want him to come to you when he is on the trail of a lizard or some other rodent.

All three of them have distinct personalites and qualities that make them special. To this day, Rudy still barks at my husband everytime he comes in the front door. I think it's a dominance thing. They can be yappers and are, over all, a high maintenance breed. They require lots and lots of hugs and kisses. If you don't give them enough attention they act up. Vayda is a perfect little travel buddy. Falls right to sleep when we get in the car and stays close when we go places. Goober, my dads dog, also does well when traveling. Rudy on the other hand whines the whole time. If we get on the freeway and stay driving (no stops and goes) he does fall asleep.

They are very hard to potty train. Once we got rid of the carpet we haven't had any other problems though so it isn't impossible. They are a very independent breed who loves to go exploring and hunting.

So although I can say a lot of negative things about the breed, I think, for me, the good out weighs the bad for sure. I have never met little dogs with such big personalities! And boy are they loyal! I was told when I first started researching the breed that they usually pick "their" person. It is so true! Rudy would go anywhere with me or do anything for me. Vayda picked my husband as her "person".

Overall I think they are a pretty cool breed if you have the time to devote to them. They are great little lap dogs!!!!

P.S. Sorry this ended up so long
default_rolleyes.gif

Vayda was very hyper here
default_laugh.png

DSC02530.jpg

See he thinks he's a person

DSC00434-1.jpg

Rudy was the ring bearer with my nephew.

wedding14.jpg

He LOVES small spaces! My dad's dog Goober is the black and rust in this picture.

DSC06207.jpg

Vayda as a puppy!

DSC00044.jpg

I have a 4 year old female min pin. She is wonderfull. My cousin has a 12 year old min pin. Again another wonderfull dog. Min pins are deffinently stubborn, but with a stern voice your point gets across. Up until the past year you wouldn't know my Dionne had a voice. She is extremly quiet. But she learned to bark thanks to her big brother, the doberman. lol The breeder I purchased her from was a great breeder at of Arizona. She had told me both parents were very quiet dogs. I can do just about anything to her, she loves to dress herself, she loves the horses and goats, gets along great with other dogs and is very tolerant. The only thing she doesn't care for are kids, but she's not at all aggressive, she just runs and hides.

Picture050-1.jpg

Picture220.jpg

I've thought about getting one but after doing some research I decided it wasn't the breed for us. Hard to housebreak, tempermental, general high maintenance. I still am looking for a smaller dog...one that likes water as we boat alot. I think we are going with a rat terrier. All terriers can be high maintenance but I can deal with alittle. I found the perfect rescue ratty..year old, housebroken, neutured...just perfect in his size and everything...he is being fostered now just south of me. Now just isn't the right time though. I don't want to bring in another dog in our house with our aging lab...he won't be around much longer... I will wait...if this ratty is still there then it was meant to be.

We have one...I will NEVER get another...my hubby just had to have her
default_wacko.png
She's a beautiful dog with a wonderful "park trot", but she's obnoxious, bossy, aggressive at times (mostly with dogs), and she's very yappy over any little thing. She is, however, very loving and wants to cuddle as much as possible and she picks the goofiest things to play with and does make us laugh. But she is VERY high strung...we have a JRT, a rat terrier and a toy fox terrier and are used to very active dogs...and she can really put them to shame at times! Her name is Mimi...my hubby named her that because she's one that thinks: "me, me, me...it's all about me"...hence Mimi! LOL If you really want one...I could send her your way!
default_wink.png

Tracy

I have a 10 yr old MinPin that I've had since he was 9 mo old. He is my "baby". Yes, he is unsocialized (doesnt like kids, men or certain women...he knows if you are a dog person or not) and WILL bite if he is given the chance (and I am always careful out in public or at home when someone comes over). It has caused me not to want to invite people over before, which sucks, but I have worked around most of his issues. He is not dog aggressive at all and in fact I have brought 2 new dogs into the home picture since October (a Yorkie and a Boxer) and he loves them! He is a huge baby and loves to be covered up with a blanket. He did have his vocal cords cut when he was a puppy (not by me) so his bark isnt "yappy", but he will bark when he hears noises or someone comes to the door. While I love the breed and I would not hesitate to get another one, I do know that they are not for everyone. The are high maintanence (attention-wise) and really do think they are a big dog...LOL!

Thanks guys for the pros and cons.

I expected to hear they have the terrier attitude, as that is what they are, afterall. I don't mind a bossy, determined dog with a bit of attitude, but certainly am not too used to "yappy". I have been lucky in my dogs so far, and haven't had to deal with that very often. I don't know of many small breeds, especially terriers, which don't have that reputation, although my buddy's three Yorkies are very quiet. They will bark when someone comes to the door, but will hush at command. It is sort of like having three little well-behaved door-bells.
default_laugh.png

As for them being a bit "needy" for affection, that is okay...I want an affectionate dog, heck even the 100 pound galloot we have now, has to be reminded that he is not a lapdog now and then...he has no idea how big he is.

I love the pictures...that one on the bed there...she looks the perfect Diva...and the little guy playing hide-n-seek in the suitcase is a treasure!!!

Something to mull over to be sure.
default_smile.png

I have a min pin fur child - he is oversized and an absolute sweetie but very smart. He is protective of my house and belongings. (Friends tell me they know when they come to the door if I am home or not and if they should enter) However, once you are "in" he loves you. He is fascinated by Bruce when he comes down and insists on sitting on him and staring into his eyes and sleeping with him
default_rolleyes.gif

He sleeps on my feet under the covers even in the summer. We did have to quit carrying him to shows after he found out he could sneak out of the RV and into the arena to jump into the cart with "his" horse and "help" drive the class
default_new_shocked.gif

He does not bark excessively at all - my Lhasa (rescue dog, with OCD, separation anxiety and jealously issues) and the old PekeAPoo WAY out do him

Would definitely have another.

Any breed of dog has good and bad depending on breeding and the way they are raised/trained. I have met other MinPins I would NEVER own, and some that would make me want to run out right then and get another one.
default_wink.png

My trainer has one and I love him. He is friendly and always goes with us to the shows and loves to ride in the cart down to the arena. Opposite of what someone on here said the other trainer at the barn has corgis and they are the most obnoxious dogs I have ever known.
default_sad.png
It all comes down to finding the right breed to match your personality
default_smile.png

I have to reply to this. I have 2 min pins. girls. One is a homebody and the other is adventuresome. They are sisters. And the key words for me is "they make me laugh EVERY DAY. They are 2 years old and were hard to house train. Mainly because I couldn't catch them in the act. Once i did, no more accidents. They come in the barn with me, if i start the lawn mower (rider) they are ready to go. JUmping in the car when i open the door. I have camped with them. taken them accross country. I love them to death. they are with me constantly. No other small breed for me. in fact the only exception would be a doberman. Jeannie

One of my friends from high school has two..both are complete opposites! One is a yappy nasty little thing...the other is more calm and will curl up on your lap and just love you. I think they are pretty neat, i love the high stepping gate...reminds me of a hackney pony, that is what really draws me to the breed most.

But, i am just smitten with my chinese crested and shih tzu kids
default_laugh.png

corgis and they are the most obnoxious dogs I have ever known.

Having owned nearly 15 of these at one time or another and 4 at present time, I honestly can't agree to this. I would have thought a chi weenie or better known as a Chihuahua would have been the most obnoxious dog I have ever known, well never knew them personally I should say just someone that owned several of them.

I don't think you can characterize any dog as the same as the entire breed. My parents have 2 min pins and both are barkers but not aggressive, they only bark if they hear something, and they are super loving! Very sweet and special dogs. I also have 2 friends with yorkies, they are very different than the min pin, the 2 I know are very happy go lucky type dogs.

Little Miracle and Brandi, your babies are gorgeous and look nothing other than Beautiful dogs.

My sister has a 1 year old female min pin she got from a breed rescue. I have NEVER heard her bark, and my sister lives in Pittsburgh, so there are plenty of noises and people to yap at. She isn't one bit aggressive, and my sister takes her everywhere with her. My mom has watched her for a week while my sister was on vacation, and she didn't yap or fight with our dogs, and she dosen't bother cats. Now, she is a BIG TIME attention hog, and an opportunist. She will take any opportunity to sit on your lap, and get some attention.

The only downfall I know to her is even though she is completely house broken, if she is mad at my sister or brother in law, even if she was just out to potty, she will come in the house and potty on the floor. Always in the same spot, and my sister said she has done it 3 times since she has had her, most recently when we went on our Chicago road trip, and Reese was angry that my brother in law was playing video games, and not petting her.

When I researched them (and many of the posts here) all say that the majority are difficult to housebreak...I wonder why that is?

When I researched them (and many of the posts here) all say that the majority are difficult to housebreak...I wonder why that is?
I was wondering too.
default_unsure.png
I am VERY vigilent with house training when I get a puppy and I have never had a dog that wasn't housebroken or hard to train. Dachshunds are supposed to be terrible too yet my mini doxie is the best I have. All my terriers have been extremely easy. And my Min Pins were no exception. I think a lot of it has to do with the time and effort you put into it..........but as always there are exceptions I would imagine.

Latest posts

Back