miniature mare fat or pregant

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok soo i looked up on google silver bay miniatures and they mostly have white manes and tales how come she dosent? could she be a chestnut?
No, I wouldnt say chestnut unless possibly liver chestnut. She is too dark to be a chestnut and has darker lower legs like a bay horse does. She definitely looks to have silver in her mane and tail. Most silver bay have light mane with gray/silver mixed in. I dont think I've ever seen a silver bay with just white mane and tail. Your mare looks to have those light and darker gray tones to me. She could also be a silver chocolate too.

Marsha

With colours, I'm useless so sorry cant help, but she is such a pretty mare anyway!

I still think she could be in foal - let's face it, if she was running with a stud for all that time, it's pretty much guarenteed that she will be pregnant. BUT she could be expecting her foal in the New Year, the Spring or later in the summer (I would vote for the Spring!)

Do you actually need to know right now if she's pregnant or not? Do you have something that you want to do with her that might 'damage' her ability to carry the foal to term? If not then why worry! She's looking good, dont let her lose weight, keep her properly wormed etc and just follow the waiting game.
default_yes.gif

As I said before, around 4 weeks before she foals, you will start to notice a change in her udder, so you will have plenty of time once that happens to get any foaling facilities ready for her. Meanwhile just enjoy having her and look forward to a new baby next year!
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

ok well were in a guessing zone right now if shes bred...... we were hoping she was bred because were just starting to get into breding miniatures.. there is nothing we will want to do to damade her ability to carry the foal ok thanks

No, I wouldnt say chestnut unless possibly liver chestnut. She is too dark to be a chestnut and has darker lower legs like a bay horse does. She definitely looks to have silver in her mane and tail. Most silver bay have light mane with gray/silver mixed in. I dont think I've ever seen a silver bay with just white mane and tail. Your mare looks to have those light and darker gray tones to me. She could also be a silver chocolate too.

Marsha
Sorry to hi-jack the thread, but what color does this mare look to you? [i know what she is, but just asking.] Does her mane/tail look to be more than white (excluding the pee stains)?

Tana%20-%20June%203,%202007%20-%20good%201.jpg

Poor picture, but decent for her color.

Tana - May 26, 2010 - pregnant or not.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hi-jack the thread, but what color does this mare look to you? [i know what she is, but just asking.] Does her mane/tail look to be more than white (excluding the pee stains)?

Tana%20-%20June%203,%202007%20-%20good%201.jpg

Poor picture, but decent for her color.

View attachment 4496
I've seen pics of mares this color. Either chestnut or palomino is what I'd guess. Possible to have silver as I'm no expert. Are you thinking silver something? Or?

Marsha

From my experience, I would say, Yes minis can be different than QH's. Every "Big Horse" I have ever foaled out have shown signs of labor. My rotten minis can be eating one minute and 10 minutes later there is a foal on the ground. OK, it was more like 30 minutes. But it was fast. Also, I have a mini mare that actually does not look pregnant and she has BIG (tall) foals. She just starts a bag about 4 weeks prior to foaling. Good luck with your mare. Just enjoy her and as you take care of her, just keep an eye out for a bag.

From my experience, I would say, Yes minis can be different than QH's. Every "Big Horse" I have ever foaled out have shown signs of labor. My rotten minis can be eating one minute and 10 minutes later there is a foal on the ground. OK, it was more like 30 minutes. But it was fast. Also, I have a mini mare that actually does not look pregnant and she has BIG (tall) foals. She just starts a bag about 4 weeks prior to foaling. Good luck with your mare. Just enjoy her and as you take care of her, just keep an eye out for a bag.
ol

what colour do you think bella my mare is?

Bellas update: she has a huge belly were starting to think that she might foal in december i will put up new pics this weekend

I've seen pics of mares this color. Either chestnut or palomino is what I'd guess. Possible to have silver as I'm no expert. Are you thinking silver something? Or?

Marsha
Ok, I'm way behind on this thread. I had her tested; she's silver bay: EE (homozygous black), Aa, no cream, (didn't test for silver, but her coloring proves she is silver).

Blood test via Biotracking only costs $25 plus shipping. It's insanely expensive to go through a vet if you are capable of drawing blood.

Of course, I raise other livestock and if I can avoid farm call fees I do....so I learned to give shots and draw blood so I don't have to have the vet out....if you want to know for sure, have her checked (via ultrasound, blood test, weefoal)

If she's pregnant, hope she has a safe delivery!

here are the new pictures of bella

pictures 105.JPG

pictures 106.JPG

theses photos were taken november 11,2011

What colour do you think she is?

Does she look bred?

Bellas update:\if i touch her bella she goes to bite me (she has never went to bite me before when i touched her stomache),still no bag

Do you think its reasonable to breed to an graded stud or is it better to buy one registered/graded?

Bella is grade....and 35 inches tall

Im no expert but id say yes shes in foal
default_yes.gif
and as for colour I would go with liver chestnut with some silver in there smewhere...Im sure someone here may have a more technical term for the exact name for the colour..shes very pretty
default_wub.png
and doesnt look fat to me

Latest posts

Back